UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Alpha Flight Box Set

luckycreature

My take (never read much Flight but my best high school bud loved it)

Puck - Gaurenteed.

Sasquatch - 90%

Shaman - 75%

Snowbird - 60%

Marina - 40%

Northstar - 20%

Aurora - 20%

Talisman - 10%

Maddison Jefferies - 5%

Everyone else - 1%

If I were DST, I'd hold back Puck for 2 packs.. So the box set would be:

Shaman

Sasquatch

Marina

Aurora

Future 2 packs could be:

Snowbird / Northstar

Puck / Talisman

This is the safest configuration for max sales in my humble opinion.

Except that it doesn't include Guardian, who is the figurehead AF character. He's the only one I'd say is guaranteed. Also, I'd think that both Northstar and Aurora are more likely the Merrina.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Regarding Mimic:

I'm honestly very on the fence as to whether or not I'd want his classic, first appearance costume, or his modern Dark X-Men costume. Classic is how I first got familiarized with the character (I actually read his earliest appearances as a kid through early X-Men reprints in my comic book shop's quarter bins)... but I really liked his Dark X-Men look, and felt it went a long way toward modernizing the character... I'd want to display him with my X-Men, even if he is usually half-villain... but I never felt his classic costume fit well, amongst some of the more updated X-Men. The new one does.

So like I said, I'm very on the fence. I'd take either or both. But I feel both is unlikely. But I couldn't pick one if I had to.

I do NOT want bearded hobo Mimic. I hate that look for him.

As for Exiles Mimic, I consider him a completely separate character... so I don't feel he's in the same running. I'd want 616 Mimic first... but would also love Exiles... to display over with my Blink and Morph and Sabretooth and *CoughWhiteSasquatchMakeItHappenZach*

Regarding Alpha Flight:

I said most of my thoughts, but I'll add I notice some people are breaking up Northstar and Aurora's odds... I honestly see like, zero chance that they don't come together. I know they've had a few solo romps over the years, both of them... but as far as Alpha Flight is concerned, I see them as a duo. Their costumes match for cripes sake!

That would be like them releasing one Wonder-Twin.

As to the idea that they'd be split up (and I still don't think they would) if... IF they were... I think Northstar has better odds, since he was an X-Man. (I think Aurora has been now too, but Northstar was part of a prominant team featured in a book for a while, wheras I think Aurora has just been one of many background Utopia players.)

Normally I'd ask for a Northstar in his X-Men costume, but honestly, that thing was hideous. All Philip Tan's designs for that run were. Except maybe Husk... that one grew on me a -little- ... So yeah, I'd just prefer Northstar and Aurora in their standard classic Black & White jumpsuits.

Edited by Gillbob316

I am totally out of the loop. I thought Guardian was coming with Box?

When was Maddison Jeffries announced? Any pictures of him?

I said most of my thoughts, but I'll add I notice some people are breaking up Northstar and Aurora's odds... I honestly see like, zero chance that they don't come together.

Breaking them up would entice folks to buy packs to "complete the twins".

I think that Vindicator is coming with Box. There is a bit of confusion sometimes over who is Guardian & who is Vindicator because James & Heather have actually both been known by both super-hero names. It helps little that the popular 90's X-Men animated series refers to James as Vindicator.

However, it is (mostly) assumed that when mentioning 'Guardian' - one is talking about James.

As for the Maddison Jeffries question - We have seen pictures of him. . . as Box. i doubt we'll be getting a civilian Mr Jeffries any time soon (Unless we get an X-Club box set with Danger, Dr Rao & Dr Nemesis - which i would be quite chuffed about).

I think that Vindicator is coming with Box. There is a bit of confusion sometimes over who is Guardian & who is Vindicator because James & Heather have actually both been known by both super-hero names. It helps little that the popular 90's X-Men animated series refers to James as Vindicator.

However, it is (mostly) assumed that when mentioning 'Guardian' - one is talking about James.

As for the Maddison Jeffries question - We have seen pictures of him. . . as Box. i doubt we'll be getting a civilian Mr Jeffries any time soon (Unless we get an X-Club box set with Danger, Dr Rao & Dr Nemesis - which i would be quite chuffed about).

Yeah... after bouncing around a while, I think the code names have mostly settles with James, the guy, is Guardian, and Heather, the girl, is Vindicator. But it doesn't always help that their costumes match, and as said, the X-Men cartoon called James Vindicator. My best friend, whose less into mutants than I am [he's a Spidey fan] still refers to him as Vindicator for that very reason.

Vindicator and Box are the only confirmed Alpha Flight figures, but that's Vindicator the girl. Guardian the guy/leader is pretty much guaranteed for any pending unannounced sets.

What I actually liked that they did for a while, but which hasn't made it to toys, was they made Heather's costume Green on White instead of Red on White. I realize the Canadian flag is Red on white, so it didn't make a whole ton of sense or anything... but it did go a long way toward separating the characters. I think I preferred Green Vindicator for that reason. I also kinda liked that she was unmasked, while Guardian stayed masked... so if she comes with a separate hair piece I think I'll keep her that way.

And yeah... Madison Jefferies... Box... same dif. Kinda. More or less. I'm sure he'll at the very least have a Madison head painted on under his helmet... if we're real lucky, a whole civilian version under his armor. But if nothing else the head would likely be enough to quick custom a civilian, like so many others. Even if he didn't come with hair (which doesn't seem to happen much anymore) there are a zillion Tony Starks to steal from, lol...

Edited by Gillbob316

Thanks for the clarification all. For some reason, I remembered Box as being a separate robot from human Maddison Jefferies. All this discussion has really tempted me to go back and pick up some Alpha Flight hardcover collections.

This is one of my absolute favorite thing about Minimates. The interest in the characters leads me to great comic stories I've never read before. I had never read any DC comics before C3 Minimates.

Now I hope we get 2 Alpha Flight box sets similar to our two Dark Avengers box sets a couple years ago.

Thanks for the clarification all. For some reason, I remembered Box as being a separate robot from human Maddison Jefferies. All this discussion has really tempted me to go back and pick up some Alpha Flight hardcover collections.

I'm*think* he wore it . . . kinda like Tony Stark wears the IronMan armour. But don't quote me on that. I haven't actually read much AlphaFlight.

I'm*think* he wore it . . . kinda like Tony Stark wears the IronMan armour. But don't quote me on that. I haven't actually read much AlphaFlight.

If I remember correctly all of the Box versions were robots. Rather than putting it on like a suit the controller would phase into or merge with it. However once Jefferies merged with it he was able to use his mutant abilities to reshape it into just about any configuration or weapon he needed from a wheel to a starship.

Jeffries wasn't the first Box, though. It was... Roger Bochs? Something like that? All I can recall is that he was a paraplegic. The big, bulky blue one was Bochs, the streamlined one that looked like a Transformer was Jeffries.

And the idea of reading Alpha Flight in hardcover... I dunno, just seems wrong somehow. I mean, it was an all right comic, but hardcover worthy? I don't think so. I think Alpha Flight was always cooler in concept then in execution.

Anyway, rather then slagging them off too much, here's something for you Alpha-heads, my favorite character outside the core group, Diamond Lil:

post-1943-0-86478800-1336359759_thumb.jp

The green matches that of Lady Loki, BTW.

Yep, Roger Bochs. The first version was a robot Roger piloted by remote linking helmet. Then he and Jeffries rebuilt the robot so that Roger could literally phase into it and pilot it from within. But there was a time limit to how long Boch could remain phased within the Box robot. And to make life extra sucky, Roger exceeded that limit while on an underwater mission and exited the depths to fast, giving himself the bends too. Maddison's wack job brother tried to "cure" Roger, and Bochs went coo-coo for coco-puffs. Maddison took over piloting and improving the Box armor after that.

Alpha Flight is Marvel's LoSH. It has a loyal, vocal following, but not enough to keep a book going.

Oh yes, that's right: Madison's brother could manipulate human flesh much the same way Madison could machines, and grew Roger a new pair of legs.:yucky:

I wouldn't say AF was ever in the Legion's class as a fan favorite, though. It's one of those books/concepts that no one ever really wanted to take ownership of. Byrne himself rather famously wasn't interested in doing the book, but signed on when it was clear the book would happen with or without him. I think it's pretty clear from his work on the title that he was never particularly engaged. He left by allowing himself to be "traded" to the Hulk, with the Hulk's team coming to AF. Bill Mantlo was the writer, and I think a very young Mike Mignola was to be the regular penciller, but he didn't last more then an issue or two. Honestly, probably the most notable thing about the first AF run was that it included Jim Lee's first regular assignment (though there was that cool alt universe story where my girl Diamond Lil killed Spider-Man). Oh, and there was the issue where Northstar came out. The relaunches have been pretty bad, save for the Steve Seagle one, which I quite liked. I'm curious to read the Pak/Van Lente one, which gave new meaning to the term "short lived".

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah it should be two 2-packs...

1. Sasquatch - Shaman - Aurora - Puck

2. Guardian - Marrina - Northstar - Snowbird

Boom. Original team done. I'd also like to eventually see Original Box and Talisman, or Shaman's 2.0 costume.

We here at MMMV would like to pause and acknowledge that while the Master Code Breaker's idea rocks and rocks hard, it does constitue wild, irresponsible speculation on our parts. No actual annoucement of other Alpha Flight characters have been made past TRU 14. And while there has been some fairly weighted innuendo, we have no proof.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled wild, irresponsible speculation.

Here's a question: Are y'all going to be upset if they don't do Puck? I mean, he'd require an all-new body to be done right. Heck, we don't even know if the Marvel license would allow them to do a figure smaller then 2". Or would you accept him as a 2" 'mate with slipper feet?

I accepted a 2" mate as a twenty foot Sentinel, and powerhouse chest as 12' original Giant Man. At this point, yeah, I'll accept slipper feet on Puck and call it fine.

"Helluva time to ask." -L. H. McCoy, M.D.

It seems like an Alpha Flight box set is a pretty safe bet, with the Box and Vindicator two pack announced....they do like to use the TRU sets to round out teams. But seriously - I think it is a pretty long shot to get a Marrina minimate. In a 4 pack, I'd have to think Guardian & Sasquach are a given. But who else? Snowbird, Puck, Northstar & Aurora, Shaman.....it's gonna be tough no matter what.