UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

question on UK customs

Webhead

Guys got a question here. I sold a pedometer on ebay to someone in the UK. I shipped it on 3/2 and they claim it hasn't arrived still. I find that hard to believe especially since I shipped out some minimates to a boardie here and it got there in probably 10 days (arriving yesterday). The customs value was $100 I think. Have any UK'ers had to go claim their package because Customs held it due to the value? I am asking because this person is a tool. I had already asked them to contact their postal person and/or customs and the answer I got from them was "I called all that I could and I don't have my package".

I order all of my mates from luke and ebay.Sometimes the ladies at the post office tell me that it's too early to claim my package and stuff.Luke's packages come here in 1 week.Ebay packages arrive in two weeks.Last summer i bought the defenders pack.It contained some of the best minimates ever.Time passed so in two weeks time i checked the post office.Nothing.Three weeks passed.Nothing.1 month had passed so my mother demanded to see the manager.It turned out that the box was magically hidden under all the other boxes.Tell the buyer to go and chack his post office.Tell him to demand to see the manager.People who work at post offices tend to steal packages if they are toys or are shipped inside a big box.I remember that 5 years ago my present for easter was replaced and i its place were papers.I payed 80 euros for davy jones' ship,the flying dutchman and i received papers.

A resume.....

A guy in the US sends a parcel to the UK .....it will attract the attention of UK customs....that's their job. If the parcel has been sent & the sender declares that the item is valued at $100 then the recipient will almost definitely incur a customs charge. This customs charge is always charged via Parcel Force ,the UK PO's parcel delivery service ,who will invoice the recipient for the customs charge + a standard handling fee....this is inevitably at least £20+ ($30+). If you don't pay it you don't get the goods & they are sent back to the sender....the higher the 'declared value including the shipping fee the higher the customs charge :sad:

If you're shipping to the UK & you don't know the buyer (ebay transaction etc.) then be 'honest' with the value........

....if it's me your sending to just say that the items are worth about $20 & is a gift :thumbsup:

Edited by buttheadsmate

thanks for the info guys. I've messaged the buyer telling them to go there in person and start asking about their package. this person had opened up an ebay case but somehow by me telling them the package will arrive and it needs more time than what was allowed once the case was opened I got them to close the case out. It's been longer than 45 days so basically i'm in the clear however if it's truely lost then I guess I'll refund them their money. I just find it hard to believe that it got "lost".

Sorry Rob, I've probably helped you to incur some of those costs in the past, I'll make sure I don't do that in the future...

Youbastards: that's not the case,no way,you're nothing other than a first class star :thumbsup: Sometimes it is just luck of the draw & customs will just pick on a random item & you (I) just have to wear it ! The difference between sending something to a stranger & someone you know is immense.....if I were sending to a stranger then I'd cover/insure myself for a potential mishap & declare the true value. Sending to a trusted friend (99% of everyone here) needs less ass-covering & more flexibility.

edit: Webhead : I buy a lot of stuff from the US/Asia & nothing has ever gone missing in ANY deal I have ever made with anyone. That doesn't help you but I'm giving some perspective.

Edited by buttheadsmate

Sorry Rob, I've probably helped you to incur some of those costs in the past, I'll make sure I don't do that in the future...

Youbastards: that's not the case,no way,you're nothing other than a first class star :thumbsup: Sometimes it is just luck of the draw & customs will just pick on a random item & you (I) just have to wear it ! The difference between sending something to a stranger & someone you know is immense.....if I were sending to a stranger then I'd cover/insure myself for a potential mishap & declare the true value. Sending to a trusted friend (99% of everyone here) needs less ass-covering & more flexibility.

edit: Webhead : I buy a lot of stuff from the US/Asia & nothing has ever gone missing in ANY deal I have ever made with anyone. That doesn't help you but I'm giving some perspective.

yeah thankjs it helps. I think this person could be a scammer, though since I was able to talk them into canceling their ebay case against me makes me think otherwise. I actually ship alot overseas either to boardies or to ebay buyers or friends and haven't lost a package. It always shows up. Just very odd that it's been 40+ days. Like you said it may be stuck somewhere because they missed their notice to go pay for customs or something.