UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Who haven't you picked up in a while?

Thought about this earlier today while sitting at my desk. I had gone home for the weekend, and naturally had to bring a new Minimate back to sit on my desk in my dorm. Problem was that there are so many new releases that it's so easy to get bored! Now, not bored that you're sick of them, but you look at the same Minimate for a while and you want something new. So i scoured the collection for somehwere to bring back. And, there he was.

Justin Hammer holds up for me; i forgot how great he is. He's got that little briefcase and all those guns!! Love the character, but for such a "dull" look he's just fantastic!! One of the best likenesses DST has done too; face screams Sam Rockweel and how he portrayed Hammer.

So, i've rediscovered my love for this Minimate, and was curious if anyone else has done this lately; figured it's a neat little discussion topic!! :lol:

Six-armed Spider-Man. But now I really want to track down a Justin Hammer. To be honest, I didn't fully realize we made a figure of him.

He's pretty great. Check him out on that Database you love so much! :thumbsup:

Been messing around with Galactus lately too, and he's still fantastic. Promo Red Dress Six, too.

Always good to find a 'mate that you can still love after not playing with in ages.

The Real Ghostbusters for me. The likeness, the detail on the packs, the pegs for the PKE/Trap. :wub:

Had (almost) all the toys and firehouse as a kid. Loved seeing all my favorites (TMNT, He-Man) getting an updated 6 inch line but when I heard that the animated show wasn't getting the same treatment I was..... :verymad:

Minimates are so much better! I love arranging them in my GB firehouse diorama with all the ghosts from the movies and cartoon. Lots of action figures = too much space. Minimates are perfect solution.

Only wish they would have made a People Buster box set. Now that I know they aren't continuing the line- it'll be safe to start customs.

:thumbsup:

Shocker is a 'mate that continues to surprise me every time I pick him up. He's such a simple design but I think he has the best of the slipcover heads and looks cool in almost any pose. The fact that he's a character barely even known for having an alter-ego makes that removable mask the extra mile for me. Really, the only story I can think of where him not being in costume for longer than a panel was Deadly Foes of Spider-Man. Just a great execution of a fun design who really adds some color to a Spidey display

The only issue i have with Shocker is the coloring. I feel like the "Brown" is all wrong and should be more towards red. Kinda kills him for me, which is a shame because i have fond memories of him in the old cartoon.

Kraven and Vulture are still my two favorite Spidey Rogues DST has released. I know people are iffy on Vulture, but he's still pretty darn great. Kraven is pretty much perfect.

Absorbing Man. He was one of the few early figures I never actually bought; when I first started collecting, I was cherry-picking my favorite characters rather than obsessively buying every single one. Hulk villains were pretty low on my list, so I skipped him, and had actually forgotten he was made way back when.

I was recently buying a bunch of loosies for customs, and saw this guy. Chagrined by the hole in my collection, I nabbed him. I got my lot in the mail yesterday and was pleasantly surprised by how well such an old figure holds up next to the newer ones. Style- and detail-wise, there's not a lot I would change to update him — in fact, the now-rare full-wraparaound tampos are refreshing to see — and his wrecking ball accessory is pretty darn cool.

The only issue i have with Shocker is the coloring. I feel like the "Brown" is all wrong and should be more towards red. Kinda kills him for me, which is a shame because i have fond memories of him in the old cartoon.

Kraven and Vulture are still my two favorite Spidey Rogues DST has released. I know people are iffy on Vulture, but he's still pretty darn great. Kraven is pretty much perfect.

Aw man... you just reminded that I can't find my Kraven (or Taruntula for that matter) as he's part of a missing box of Minimates that includes my Wave 19 extras and all of my Iron Man 1 'mates. *sigh*

Also, like a schmuck, I never got the Friends and Foes set; it never appeared anywhere near me for some reason and when I bought the set as loose figures at C2E2 last year, I left the bag with them in the parking garage when we left. *sigh* X2

The uneven colors on Shocker do hurt him a little but I think that's part of why I liked him so much this time around.

Another nomination: Doctor Strange. Picked him up today to hang out next to Dormammu and I'm surprised how well he holds up. Heck, that whole boxset holds up despite the looseness of Namor's vest!

Strange is still the perfect Minimate in my eyes. IF he ever gets planned to be made again, as i do not have him, DST needs to break their rule and straight-up rerelease him or change extremely minor details. He's among a VERY small group that are legit perfect figures, and i'm very jealous.

You aren't missing much with Friends and Foes. IT still is the worst set ever produced just based on sheer quality. Others have issues with Vulture, i don't think he's as bad, but everyone is unanimous in that it is a terrible, terrible set.

• 3 months later...

Sorry for the thread necro but while packing I found my Aquaman 'mate, man what a cool looking little figure, from the sculpted fins on the boots, the awesome scales and chest design and gloves, he is easily my favorite DC Minimate.

But now I really want to track down a Justin Hammer.

I have an extra if you need it, just PM me.

How many extras, if you don't mind my asking? :teehee:

Back to the topic...I've always been partial to Assault Armor Punisher. And, as mentioned, Doctor Strange (and the rest of the Defenders set) still holds up very well. Heck, that Hulk is still my favorite, even though he's not beefed up.

Wow, people really don't like Friends and Foes? I thought it looked awesome but I've only seen it on Database. I've only been collecting since the beginning of the year so I missed out on this one. If anyone really hates it that much and has extras, lemme know ;)

Wow, people really don't like Friends and Foes? I thought it looked awesome but I've only seen it on Database. I've only been collecting since the beginning of the year so I missed out on this one. If anyone really hates it that much and has extras, lemme know ;)

From what I've heard and seen the quality control on the set is really subpar.

Spider-Man's has weblines on his face, and his skin colors don't match up.

Black Cat's skin tone doesn't even try to match.

Dr. Octopus' tentacles fall out easily

and Vulture's wings aren't colored right.

I'm quite fond of Vulture and Dr. Octopus though.