UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

*Puts A Curse On Danny!!!*

bruticus

So ages ago i was reading through another board that i belong to and i came across a picture fanfic (Sabretooth Versus the X-Men) that had been posted by Danny that involved little mini figures called "Minimates". I read another one that he had posted that briefly featured the 3 inch Iron Maiden Eddie and that was it, i had to find out as much as possible. I read through Danny's fanfics and was intrigued by the Minimates so i decided to follow up and look at his site "Minimates Central"...

Up until that point i had only really collected Transformers and i didn't deviate from that, didn't really know a lot about Minimates or the variety available but after reading through MC i was hooked on not only Minimates, but mini figures in general...

So Danny, i put a curse on you for opening the door to the wonderful world of Minimates for me, it's your fault dude :P

Anyway, the point of this post is this...

What got the people on this board into collecting Minimates ?

*Phew* I thought this was gonna be a hate thread against Danny was about to defend the Boobman :P

Well I'm not a full on 'Mate' Collector, but it was seeing all the customs the guys have created here on the OLD AA board that got me interested, and the family thats kind of formed here has kept me here <G>

cheers,

Tk

I can partially blame Danny for my obsession, as well...

I started off wanting to make an online comic book (using traditional pencil/pen drawings), so I did some research to see what other online comics were available and what it would take to make a good one. In that search, I came across Fungal Haven (which is now defunct) and saw how you could use toys to make comics. It took me a while, but I finally warmed up to the idea of doing a picfic as my first venture into the world of online comic creating. So, since I had seen how well minimates worked for picfics, I decided to do some research into these minifigs... and that's when I came across Minimates Central. Once there, I quickly realized that I needed to begin collecting them. And the rest is history :D

First time I saw Minimates it was an article in Toyfare and I thought they sucked. Then, while on a trip to New York I visited Jim Hanley's Universe (comic shop by the great big pointy building) They had the Ultimate X-men mates in there. It was love at first sight.

I've been a longtime collector of Star Wars Lego, which got me into Spider-Man Lego. My interest there waned, due mostly to the lack of character diversity. I picked up a complete set of LOTR 'mates last winter at a great price, but it was an impulse buy and they stayed in the closet for a long time.

Once I found out about the BSG 'mates, I started reading into the whole minimate collecting community on this site and the HQ. About a month ago I arranged a trade on the Rebelscum forums - my Sideshow 12" Mace Windu for about 60 Marvel & C3 'mates, and I've never looked back. Since then, I've been opening my LOTR 'mates, trading for more Marvel 'mates, & (gasp!) placing preorders for upcoming BSG, Marvel, & DC waves!

Now I've just gotta clear out some room for all these 'mates. So long, Lego...

It'd have to be thanks to the LOTR exhibit at the Indiana State Museum. They were selling them there, and I wanted Sauron soooo bad (they didn't have him), and found MMC from there. Then I saw a couple packs at the store. "only one...."

Ahem, um, hello there, Soylent Bean. I couldn't help but notice you were getting rid of your LEGO stuff. I happen to have a modest LEGO collection myself and would be happy to help you rid yourself of your LEGO minifigs. Feel free to shoot me a PM and let me know what you've got and what Minimates you may need. :)

Well It happened a LONG time ago in a galaxy far far away (actually FL) I was at Walgreen's when I noticed this box that had 2" Marvel figs so i bought it and a year later I bought a lot on eBay so I had 2 Iron man's and I was like "woah what should I do?" so me and my brother made up "Iron Fan!!!" this Crazy 14 yr. old who goes on weird adventures with his 2 pals Spidey and Ultimate (short for Ultimate Spidey) I crack myself up all the time with him.

Tower Records. I'd never been in Tower Records store before and I stopped by one day on my way home from work. I saw the section of Toys and was immediately intrigued. I thought, "Who the hell do these toys appeal to?!?!"

Then I saw the Rhino/Grey Hulk two pack. I bought it on a lark and went home. I was overcome with nostalgia after opening the pack and went right back out and bought up all the other characters I could find in the store.

Minimates have brought me back to Marvel comic books, introduced me to Battlestar Galactica, and got me hooked on DC comics. I can't get enough of these guys.

Danny's MC inspired me to create MMHQ. :)

I went looking for the fanfic that i mentioned in my first post only to discover that although the words are present, there's no pictures :(

It reminded me though, and i had forgotten about this, but Danny used to have a Transformers Myclone conga line signature pic that rocked so i'm starting a petition for him to bring it back old school ;)

Some things just don't go out of style *nod*

Hi my name's rsprin and I'm an alcohol..... Wait wrong thread. I saw these and really only wanted to get the Iron Man ones, even though there was no way I was going to get the Stealth chase it was too much. The rest is a lovely example of unchecked obsessive compulsiveness. :D

I first heard of minimates back on the original AA board (with the crappy music and everything :lol: ) when i was still SRS1, but i didn't come across Minimates in person until waiting for my then girlfriend Sarah (now wife) to come out of University one day while loitering in Forbidden Planet - Cambridge.

As i recall, they had Bones McCoy, Ozzy and Alice Cooper, but i wanted Kirk or Spock and the interest began.

After the collector's club fiasco , i kinda boycotted AA for a while.... until i discovered Nightwing, Batman & company in c3 form and then i went minimate crazy, discovered MMC, rejoined the AA community and migrated with most people to here. :)

I went looking for the fanfic that i mentioned in my first post only to discover that although the words are present, there's no pictures :(

It reminded me though, and i had forgotten about this, but Danny used to have a Transformers Myclone conga line signature pic that rocked so i'm starting a petition for him to bring it back old school ;)

Erm, which pic-fic? Mine should all still be there on the site.

And the MyClone stuff is what eventually got me into Minimates. Cute posable blocky Transformers figures? Oh my!

I have my MyClone pic-fic I did still on my hard drive, I'll upload it if anyone's interested. I'll also have a look for this "conga line" pic.

Erm, which pic-fic? Mine should all still be there on the site.

And the MyClone stuff is what eventually got me into Minimates. Cute posable blocky Transformers figures? Oh my!

I have my MyClone pic-fic I did still on my hard drive, I'll upload it if anyone's interested. I'll also have a look for this "conga line" pic.

The pic-fics were named "Divebomb's MyClone Pic-Fic #1" and "DB's MyClone Pic-Fic #2 - Enter the Mini-Mates...". They're still there but all i get on that site when i view the thread is [image] instead of the actual pictures...

Oh and...

"EDDIE vs the MyClone & Mini-Mates ?

No contest !

EDDIE, being the Seventh Son of a Seventh son would win hands down, calling on the power of the Mini Mates Fear of the Dark and using the Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner, he would blow them from Here to Eternity and return home with Piece of Mind :D"

is an excellent play on words if i do say so myself :D

Im not a big Transformers fan... but here goes:

Soundwave, Bumblebee, dunno, Megatron, Shockblast, dunno :P

cheers,

Tk

You was close as it goes...

Soundwave, Bumblebee, Wreck Gar, Galvatron, Hot Rod, Grimlock :P

And Danny, that's the one i was thinking of :D

And Danny, that's the one i was thinking of :D

Quite. So can you remove the curse now :blink:

Yeah i'll remove it.....For now!

Just do me a favour and don't ever show me anything Iron Maiden related again cos then i'll want whatever it is as well :P

*Is STILL waiting for an Iron Maiden toilet seat lid \m/>.<\m/*

myclone2sig2.jpg

Found all the picfic stuff too :)

Damn! I've finally seen some Transformers figures that I actually like! :o :o

Rad, the Myclone line is amazingly fun and they was my first ever block figures and the only block figures i owned until i got into Minimates but even to this day, the Myclone take pride of place at the front of my collection because i just love them that much. Or as much as someone can love a lump of plastic :rolleyes:

My favourite Myclone to this day is still Megatron because he's just total evil world domination minifigure goodness...I can't recommend the Myclone figures enough and you NEED to add some to your collection ASAP...

I'm getting carried away here so i'll shut up and get my coat

I may well be checking those out at some point. Funds permitting.

I say I've finally seen some Transformers I like, but I lie just a tad.

Years ago a mate sent me a little Transformer figure on a card. He's called Rad!

:D

Those Myclone figures look great! How tall are they, and how do they compare size-wise to 2" minimates? Could anyone post a comparison pic? Thanks!