UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

War Horse

buttheadsmate

My usual disclaimers apply about my interest in famous people & celebrities but.....

I'm pretty certain that this movie will be well-received (to say the least) & I just want to chip in first with a few of buttheadsmate interesting drivel facts

The movie is set in Devon, many sequences filmed on Dartmoor,Spielberg reportedly fell in love with the area immediately & decided that many more scenes than initially had been decided upon would be shot there. Michael Morpurgo the author of War Horse based this children's book on the recollections of WW1 veterans in the Devon village of Iddesleigh who had served with the Devon Yeomanry & the cavalry ,their recollections revealed how they had confided to their horses their hopes & fears .

Quite why I'm not sure but the 'village' scenes were filmed in Castle Combe ,Wiltshire ? Castle Combe is a delightful village but the vernacular architecture (....can you guess I'm quoting from Wiki ? :tongue: ) bears no resemblance to typical Devon villages.Devon is three counties away from Wiltshire & that speaks volumes in this country.

OK.....here we go......Mr.Morpurgo is according to my comic pimp 'Richard' a very nice guy,he'd know because he's a builder & has worked on Mr.Morpurgo's house at Iddesleigh many times . Mrs.Morpurgo (wife) was the inspiration for a charity 'Farms for City Children' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farms_for_City_Children .....must be a good egg :thumbsup:

One of the three pubs we frequent in our area is the 'Duke of York' at Iddesleigh .....the public house that Mr.Morpurgo must have met these veterans because there's only one pub :biggrin: I'm told that "you must have seen him Beavis?" but I can confirm that as far as I know I haven't .....I'm sure people say the same thing about me to him :rolleyes:

I live in Hatherleigh which is 8 miles from the fringe of Dartmoor ,Dartmoor is worth seeing although your perceptions may be blighted by all those foggy Sherlock Holmes films.

Castle Combe also boasts a motor-racing circuit which coincidentally was the scene of my final race of my ten-year motor-racing career..... 1989 ,Lap 1,major collision,f*cked car ,f*cked femur & f*cked kneecap & three months in hospital :(

I have no idea why I'm telling you all this except that I know this movie will get you talking & I just wanted to get my total load of nonsense in first.

Edited by buttheadsmate

Your load of nonsense has been noted.

Now as for the movie itself... I liked it. I really did. I do think our lead actor wasn't too strong and in doing so kinda put the heart of the movie off its center. Everyone else Joey the Horse meets in this movie is far more interesting than Albert himself. This, of course, diminishes out desire to see Albert and Joey reunited. As for the supporting cast, I found it marvelous. In particular Tom Hiddleston's INCREDIBLY small part as the captain that buys Joey to be a cavalry horse and that sweet lil girl who finds Joey and his war buddy Topthorn in a windmill.

I'd recommend seeing it eventually even if just on DVD. The scenes in No-Man's-Land are absolutely stunning and a good bit of this film has some emotional charge and some serious gut punching. Pretty good film. 7/10

I do want to watch this movie as the trailers look good, but and isn't there always a but. I would much prefer to see the stage version on which this comes out from only because I have seen the horse the use on TV when they where promoting the stage play and was very impressed with the puppet work.