UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Anyone care to weigh in on this?

Lobsterman

Sitting quietly by the sea ,Hermosa Beach 1989 I remember those golden words from Ms.Bikini-clad who insisted I brush the sand from her fanny .

Urbs (herbs)is possibly the most irritating US pronunciation closely followed by yoaghurt (yoghurt), I do however love the diversity of US accents .

It's actually the non-existent-accent English spoken by the likes of most English actresses in many US TV shows/movies that is cringe-worthy....plummy phonetically-contrived bullshitty pseudo-upper-class nonsense which I dare say is a hangover from their tuition at drama school .

It's actually the non-existent-accent English spoken by the likes of most English actresses in many US TV shows/movies that is cringe-worthy....plummy phonetically-contrived bullshitty pseudo-upper-class nonsense which I dare say is a hangover from their tuition at drama school .

What? You don't all sound like Judy Dench, Tony Hopkins, Julie Andrews, or Pierce Brosnan?

Actually, what is equally painful on this side of the pond are actors who do attempt bad southern accents, or worse mangle New Orleans Cajun. If you can't do it, don't attempt it..

On a simialr note... what's worse- the non-existent-accent English or Kevin "Robin of Iowa" Costner's "attempt" in Prince of Thieves?

The main requirement for a Robin Hood movie is that your not English.....Costner & Crowe were famously, abyssmally bad although Errol Flynn takes the biscuit by portraying him in 1938. 1938 was a particularly bad year for an alleged anti-semitic ,bi-sexual, Australian Nazi-sympather to play the part of Robin Hood. Why his men were were merry ;) ,Will was Scarlet & John was Little is a mystery to this day. :rolleyes:

-Dickvanf*ckingDykesmate

I personally find the over the top english accents in american tv/films really annoying, however i would be interested to see an americans opinion on the welsh accent

i'm often utterly ashamed when i see an Australian accent in an American or English film. I'm not sure if it's just the stark contrast between the two, or if directors and casting agents go out of their way to find an aussie who speaks just like Paul Hogan every time - but Aussies seem to always sound like uneducated larrikins when on the screen.

I personally find the over the top english accents in american tv/films really annoying, however i would be interested to see an americans opinion on the welsh accent

Welsh... Is that the one where they seem to communicate without the use of many consonants? Like Billie Piper as Rose Tyler whenever she'd get excited or frightened and you could back the DVR up all you'd like, but the only way to tell what she said was waiting for the Doctor to respond or react to it? That accent?

Welsh... Is that the one where they seem to communicate without the use of many consonants? Like Billie Piper as Rose Tyler whenever she'd get excited or frightened and you could back the DVR up all you'd like, but the only way to tell what she said was waiting for the Doctor to respond or react to it? That accent?

She's English & her real accent is again pretty neutral ,when she plays Rose Tyler she attempts an inner-London accent with varying success.

I'm enjoying this thread but don't get the idea that my own accent is anything other than normal. In the States my accent often gets confused with Australian ,in Devon where I've lived for 12 years they reckon it's a Norfolk accent. I come from 'ampshire* near Sowfampton* & always considered my accent to be very very local but obviously it's changed . If any of you guys remember Benny Hill's accent then that's mine :rolleyes:

*Southampton,Hampshire.

Okay, then can you point me to an example of Welsh accent?