UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Disney buys Marvel

boyd

This news was actually hitting the BBC headlines yesterday......maybe not a surprise to you guys in the States but although Disney is universally famous ....Marvel isn't :ohmy:

The BBC DJ Steve Wright noted on his daily programme yesterday that this news "may herald "(& I quote) " Batman & Mickey Mouse..... 'cross-overs' " Steve Wright is one of our long-standing DJs ,clever & on -the-ball ,having spent many years in the US........yet even he gets it wrong!!!!!

:rolleyes:

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This news was actually hitting the BBC headlines yesterday......maybe not a surprise to you guys in the States but although Disney is universally famous ....Marvel isn't :ohmy:

The BBC DJ Steve Wright noted on his daily programme yesterday that this news "may herald "(& I quote) " Batman & Mickey Mouse..... 'cross-overs' " Steve Wright is one of our long-standing DJs ,clever & on -the-ball ,having spent many years in the US........yet even he gets it wrong!!!!!

:rolleyes:

Those are the kind of statements that make me sick.

Knowing how little slip ups like that annoy fans of 'nerdy' interest I came up with this great idea stand-up persona: "The nerd who tells nerd jokes with little factual errors that piss off other nerds"

Stuff like "Do you think Superman likes going to work in the morning? I once worked with this guy who couldn't figure out how to work the coffee machine and it annoyed the crap out of me! I can't imagine how Superman feels working with a guy talks to fish, another guy who's afraid of the color yellow, and a big green retard that's always smashing his stuff"... see it's barely a joke, a non-comic fan might chuckle and say "heh, I guess Superman does have shitty co-works I guess" but I comic fan would be pissed I included the Hulk among the Justice League. (maybe even dorkier comic fans would be pissed I said Superman 'works' at the Justice League when really he coinsiders that a duty and Daily Planet is where he 'works' or something)

Or you can push it even further "you know I have some father issues... but I guess it's not so bad, you know who really has Father issues: Luke Starwalker... you've all seen Star Trek right? If not, SPOILERS! Well in the movie Star Trek Luke Starwalker's dad is DARK VADER! Dark Vader, I know!!! My dad used to disappear for a week come home and hit me with his belt, Dark Vader left Luke on Dagobah then shows up and cuts off his hand with his lifesaver!! OUCH!!"

it's brilliant (not really) meta-humor! the jokes would be awful, but the 'humor' is how much hatred calling characters the wrong name or using a DC character in a Marvel based joke even if the joke itself still 'works' instills in the viewers. The jokes not that Darth Vader was a crappy dad, it's that calling him "Dark Vader" will have someone reply "I WILL FIND YOU AND I WILL KILL YOU!!! HE IS A DARTH NOT A DARK!!! MAYBE YOU'RE CONFUSED BECAUSE HE'S A DARK LORD OF THE SITH BUT DARTH IS A TITLE BESTOWED UPON HIM!!! LEARN YOUR DAMN FACTS BEFORE I STAB YOU!!!"

Oh back on topic:

Anyone hoping for Gargoyles comics from this: The creator (and writer of the most recent Gargoyles comics) has commented he thinks it's unlikely Marvel will do anything with the license... however I think he's bullshitting and hoping control of the license stays at SLG, since they don't hire writers or artist, just publish what's given to them. With SLG he can have complete control over Gargoyles where as at Marvel he'd be playing in someone else's sandbox and have to hope he's not replaced.

Knowing how little slip ups like that annoy fans of 'nerdy' interest I came up with this great idea stand-up persona: "The nerd who tells nerd jokes with little factual errors that piss off other nerds"

Stuff like "Do you think Superman likes going to work in the morning? I once worked with this guy who couldn't figure out how to work the coffee machine and it annoyed the crap out of me! I can't imagine how Superman feels working with a guy talks to fish, another guy who's afraid of the color yellow, and a big green retard that's always smashing his stuff"... see it's barely a joke, a non-comic fan might chuckle and say "heh, I guess Superman does have shitty co-works I guess" but I comic fan would be pissed I included the Hulk among the Justice League. (maybe even dorkier comic fans would be pissed I said Superman 'works' at the Justice League when really he coinsiders that a duty and Daily Planet is where he 'works' or something)

Or you can push it even further "you know I have some father issues... but I guess it's not so bad, you know who really has Father issues: Luke Starwalker... you've all seen Star Trek right? If not, SPOILERS! Well in the movie Star Trek Luke Starwalker's dad is DARK VADER! Dark Vader, I know!!! My dad used to disappear for a week come home and hit me with his belt, Dark Vader left Luke on Dagobah then shows up and cuts off his hand with his lifesaver!! OUCH!!"

it's brilliant (not really) meta-humor! the jokes would be awful, but the 'humor' is how much hatred calling characters the wrong name or using a DC character in a Marvel based joke even if the joke itself still 'works' instills in the viewers. The jokes not that Darth Vader was a crappy dad, it's that calling him "Dark Vader" will have someone reply "I WILL FIND YOU AND I WILL KILL YOU!!! HE IS A DARTH NOT A DARK!!! MAYBE YOU'RE CONFUSED BECAUSE HE'S A DARK LORD OF THE SITH BUT DARTH IS A TITLE BESTOWED UPON HIM!!! LEARN YOUR DAMN FACTS BEFORE I STAB YOU!!!"

Oh back on topic:

Anyone hoping for Gargoyles comics from this: The creator (and writer of the most recent Gargoyles comics) has commented he thinks it's unlikely Marvel will do anything with the license... however I think he's bullshitting and hoping control of the license stays at SLG, since they don't hire writers or artist, just publish what's given to them. With SLG he can have complete control over Gargoyles where as at Marvel he'd be playing in someone else's sandbox and have to hope he's not replaced.

I actually found that really funny because I could see it working. It made me laugh.

A friend showed me this. I didn't laugh. :(http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2009/9/2/

Am I the only one here becoming increasingly paranoid over how Disney will affect the future of Marvel Minimates?

Less than I was when Hasbro got the Marvel license. Disney has no direct financial stake in which company has what license as long as they're making money. There's no reason to assume Marvel as an owned entity would behave any differently than it did as an independent one when it comes to awarding licenses. If a product sells, it will get the license. If not, it won't.

I think a lot of hay is being made of the Disney thing when, in reality, it's no different than Warner owning DC, or any other global media juggernaut owning any other niche brand. Disney is pretty smart and probably knows they can't go screwing with a formula that works. They're just trying to get a slice of the tween/teen boy's market. For them, Marvel is nothing more than a big money factory they'd like to own – not a bunch of legacy characters to mess up so people hate them.

Edited by Lobsterman

Not to take this further off topic, but my first thought when I heard Disney was buying Marvel was "How will this affect Minimates?" The scary thing for me is that (come renewal time) Disney might just decide that Minimates are too small to be worth their time. The revenue that comes in might not be enough to justify the effort to put together and negotiate a new contract. You know, kinda how DC Minimates died.

As long as Disney lets Marvel continue to handle the licensing, I think Minimates have a long future. I'm not certain that will be the case, though. We all know that merchandising is where the real money from the property is made. :D

It was my understanding that it would be 2011/2012 before Disney officially has enough control of things to affect day-to-day decisions. Who knows what the overall market place will look like by then. But I know this- Disney likes licensing, they like toys, and they like off-beat things. (Japanese Mickey and Donald transforms come to mind) If mate sales stay strong, I don't for see a problem.

If anything, it means the likelihood of Spectacular Spider-Man continuing just increased tenfold.

And is it too early to start asking for help finding Molecule Man and Warpath?

Am I the only one here becoming increasingly paranoid over how Disney will affect the future of Marvel Minimates?

I've been more worried about how the the merger will effect comic book content, especially in books with 'young adult' content such as the violence of X-Force, or the same-sex relationship in X-Factor.

(Disclaimer: i do NOT believe that a same-sex relationship is 'adult content', but i do know that a lot of people will feel that it's not suitable subject matter for younger readers)

EDIT: Thanx for putting this in the right place TBT.

Edited by Nessex

Disney probably won't have much say about adults content. And even if... Disney's a gay-friendly company. The theme park has Pride parades and everything. Disney also owns Miramax, which has released many films that doesn't exactly include kid-friendly stuff.

Edited by Nekoi