UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

DOCTOR WHO Minimates

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

crapcrapcrapcrapcrap...

I knew I should have brought mine with me today! <_< I got it in the mail yesterday, and it's pretty much read. I don't remember seeing anything about Dr. Who mates, though I haven't poured over it with a fine toothed comb. Nope, the only thing MM related I saw was the Theater featuring our bully block blokes. I'll find it tonight when I get back home.

A friend of mine said the same thing... he flipped through the issue and didn't see anything specific to Doctor Who minimates. He knows what a fan I am, so he probably would have picked up on it had he seen anything, but then again he wasn't looking for them specifically.

The only thing Dr Who related i saw was an announcement in the price guide that they were expanding the 6" toy line beyond current parameters to make Dr. Who Classics. Apparently the 4th Dr. is a winnah. *shrug*

Going off topic (from Minimates anyway) I can confirm that not only is the 4th Doctor a winner but so is the 6th. The likeness is uncanny. The Sea Devil is quite a tasty looking figure as well. Mmmm.... Turtle soup? Don't mind if I do. :D

Just a quick update - I contacted Underground Toys and asked them about the status of the Doctor Who minimates. Here is the reply I received:

"Please read the next edition of ToyFare – there’s an article in there updating fans!"

I'm hopefully this means good news and that they want the official announcement in Toyfare, as I doubt they would be referring me to the issue for a rejection.

Thoughts?

Whilst I don't blame you in any way, jjwspider, for purely relating what Underground Toys told you ,it was apparently BS. Could I ask you to please enquire politely (or not) why they fed you it ? Thankyou,bhm.

Just a quick update - I contacted Underground Toys and asked them about the status of the Doctor Who minimates. Here is the reply I received:

"Please read the next edition of ToyFare – there’s an article in there updating fans!"

I'm hopefully this means good news and that they want the official announcement in Toyfare, as I doubt they would be referring me to the issue for a rejection.

Thoughts?

Whilst I don't blame you in any way, jjwspider, for purely relating what Underground Toys told you ,it was apparently BS. Could I ask you to please enquire politely (or not) why they fed you it ? Thankyou,bhm.

I think I'm just as annoyed as everyone else. I was expecting good news, or at least something, to come from their response. I sent a follow up e-mail to Underground Toys and requested clarification for the information that was relayed to me originally. I also mentioned that the newest Toyfare issue does not seem to indicate anything about the Doctor Who Minimate license. I'll be sure to let everyone know if I get a response and what they mentioned.

Thoughts?

I think I'm just as annoyed as everyone else. I was expecting good news, or at least something, to come from their response. I sent a follow up e-mail to Underground Toys and requested clarification for the information that was relayed to me originally. I also mentioned that the newest Toyfare issue does not seem to indicate anything about the Doctor Who Minimate license. I'll be sure to let everyone know if I get a response and what they mentioned.

Thanks again jjwspider . Don't let those Underground Toys people off the hook!

Thanks again jjwspider . Don't let those Underground Toys people off the hook!

Hmm...ever since I got the original e-mail from Underground Toys, it appears no one wants to contact me back. Here is the e-mail address for Robyn (who gave me the original reply) robyn@underground-toys.com and the web address is web@underground-toys.com. Maybe you guys would care to give them a shout out and let them know that there is interest in this line? They apparently don't want to give me an update so let's try a show of numbers!

As much as I'd love an update myself, I'd strongly advise against publishing someone's work email address like that online. It opens up too many doors for potential harassment.

Just my 2 cents... if anything, maybe just use the general web@ addy?

As much as I'd love an update myself, I'd strongly advise against publishing someone's work email address like that online. It opens up too many doors for potential harassment.

I would tend to agree with you, but the address is actually listed on Underground Toys website as well. Robyn is the point of contact for all licensing questions. Here's the link.

I would tend to agree with you, but the address is actually listed on Underground Toys website as well. Robyn is the point of contact for all licensing questions. Here's the link.

Ahhhhhhhhh... um, okay, never mind me. Carry on! =)

(And yes, I'm dying to know the status of these guys....)

If you don't want potential harassment don't give out your business card ! I wouldn't condone any improper communication hence I witheld the mobile number but ......she needs to tell you guys the truth.

Got another update from Robyn about the status, here is what should have run in Toyfare:

Underground Toys have large commitments to action figure development and distribution as well as recently acquiring a North American license for various Star Wars products. This combined with rising costs in China have mean UT have this specific project on hold

UT plan to renew their Doctor Who deal and to this end the Minimates are still a strong possibility for 2009/2010 when they can give the project the attention it deserves.

Robyn Morgan of UT said "we could have executed some limited releases in 2008 but it wouldn't have done this opportunity justice, so e are going to revisit Doctor Who Minimates next year and in 2010"

So, it doesn't look like anything for this year but hopefully next year. Thoughts?

Got another update from Robyn about the status, here is what should have run in Toyfare:

Underground Toys have large commitments to action figure development and distribution as well as recently acquiring a North American license for various Star Wars products. This combined with rising costs in China have mean UT have this specific project on hold

UT plan to renew their Doctor Who deal and to this end the Minimates are still a strong possibility for 2009/2010 when they can give the project the attention it deserves.

Robyn Morgan of UT said "we could have executed some limited releases in 2008 but it wouldn't have done this opportunity justice, so e are going to revisit Doctor Who Minimates next year and in 2010"

So, it doesn't look like anything for this year but hopefully next year. Thoughts?

Purely my opinion:

Firstly 'rising costs in China' ????? This type of comment will be flavour of the day (year) for just about everything soon & is irrelevant as Minimates have got to be one of the cheapest toys around.

Secondly their 'large commitments to action figures' http://www.undergroundtoys.co.uk/store/ind...ge=products_new ...... key chains,key chains & key chains ....'Nuff Said.

They also 'plan' to renew their Doctor Who deal & Minimates are still a strong ' possibility '......plans & possibilities ????

Now you might think I'm a right negative sh*t about UT & you'd be right . If they had the BBC license to do this they would do it ..... or why bother getting it ??? If 'Deff Chuff' can have his own Minimate made then I'm bloody sure someone could & would produce Dr.Who Minimates If they had the license. & in my opinion they haven't & are playing silly buggers . Its all doublespeak & its all very patronising.

Dr.Who 'Mates will not happen with UT handling it......Sorry but the truth hurts & I would love to be wrong but I won't be. :(

• 1 month later...

In response to a newly opened thread today about the current situation of the Dr.Who Minimates I have taken it upon myself to 'politely' enquire at Underground Comics every couple of months . I did this only last week but decided that the 'news' I had was 'no news' & decided against sharing it here. I will continue to do this until I get somewhere . My rational opinion is that these aren't happening in the forseeable future .

Another company "Character Options" is apparently releasing some lines, despite the rising costs in China

# Toy Fair 2009 Character Options will be exhibiting forthcoming Doctor Who product lines at the London Toy Fair (28th-30th January). Trade magazine ToyNews reports 2009 lines will include “Collect and Build figures, Time Squad collectible figures, further Classic Figures and the Doctor’s Book of Impossible Things" The Journal of Impossible Things will come with a mini sonic screwdriver. Other new products to look out for, as previously revealed by ToyNews, will include Captain Jack’s Temporal Manipulator. A greater emphasis will be placed on releasing products in the first half of 2009 with new products also released to coincide with the four Doctor Who specials - Thanks Neil
(from Dr Who toys news)

One of the products they're bringing to market are these:

tspromo.jpg

Time Squad

Character set to launch Time Squad mini figures

Character will launch their incredible new range of Time Squad articulated miniature figures in the first half of 2009. Time Squad figures will be available in blister packs of 2 and 5 and may include a range of spaceships - Thanks Matt

Another company "Character Options" is apparently releasing some lines, despite the rising costs in China

# Toy Fair 2009 Character Options will be exhibiting forthcoming Doctor Who product lines at the London Toy Fair (28th-30th January). Trade magazine ToyNews reports 2009 lines will include “Collect and Build figures, Time Squad collectible figures, further Classic Figures and the Doctor’s Book of Impossible Things" The Journal of Impossible Things will come with a mini sonic screwdriver. Other new products to look out for, as previously revealed by ToyNews, will include Captain Jack’s Temporal Manipulator. A greater emphasis will be placed on releasing products in the first half of 2009 with new products also released to coincide with the four Doctor Who specials - Thanks Neil
(from Dr Who toys news)

One of the products they're bringing to market are these:

tspromo.jpg

Time Squad

Character set to launch Time Squad mini figures

Character will launch their incredible new range of Time Squad articulated miniature figures in the first half of 2009. Time Squad figures will be available in blister packs of 2 and 5 and may include a range of spaceships - Thanks Matt

Minimates lose to SHS again. Mind boggling...