UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Video Game Discussion

neolego

Well, I've been on the fence about getting a DS, but since all of you have had such great experiences, I've decided to get a DS Lite on the 3rd(of August ;)).

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Logan....welcome to the "Lite" Side.......ha, get it.

Anyway, I have 3 addictions in my life. My Wife/Daughter is the first, Minimates are the second, and my DS is the 3rd. You will not regret it. neo

Are you set up for wireless internet, Logan? We could play some Mario Kart DS or Metroid Prime Hunters together if you get either of those games. :)

I'm not sure if I am set up for wireless, but I think I am. Also, I don't plan on getting Metriod yet, but I've played Mario Kart before(and loved it) so I will be getting that one!

• 2 weeks later...

Nintendo DS Friend Codes (Sorry for the delay)

Tetris DS: 502451 640981

Metroid: 4553 3411 0433

Mario Kart: 017239 355869

I also have Animal Crossing and Tony Hawk. I'll get those codes up later. I also added you to all my friend rosters Luke. neo

Well, the 360 actually saw a decent release this week in Dead Rising. Anyone pick it up? I have some thoughts about the Demo.

As I stated above, I only have the Demo. I refuse to play a game as extremely violent as this one. I d/led the Demo to see if there was any way I could get around it. I'm ok with someone bleeding when I shoot them or slash them with my sword in Oblivion, but the bloodshed that is to follow in DR is, IMHO, uncalled for.

That being said, the game is actually kind of cool. It plays as a Sandbox game, where you are stuck in a mall with countless zombies. You can pretty much use anything from a Hockey Stick to a Cash Register to fight off the zombies. The gameplay was solid. While it's not an extremely deep game, there is something about grabing a Shopping Cart and plowing through a crowd of moronic zombies. Overall, if it wasn't for the intense bloodshed I would actually entertain the thought of getting this game.

Also, while we're on the topic of this game, I would like to discuss the use of extreme violence, blood, sex, drugs, language, etc. with you guys. I, personally, would like to see companies start to incorporate options for this sort of thing. Take for instance, a clean-language option where the company could either a)record a seperate dialoge for that scene or b)just beep out any curse words. Example: I d/led the Prey Demo on the 360. Now, this is a "Demo" and the guy says the F word at least 3 times, I stopped playing after that. The argument could be brought up, "If you don't like it, don't buy it." However, the way the market is getting that really isn't much of an option anymore as more and more games are going mature. Honestly, if we continue like this for the next 5 or 10 years, anyone that wants to play a clean adult themed game is going to be SOL. I don't have to have to spend the rest of my life playing Mario and Sonic and Pac Man just because developers are unconcerned about the "clean" gamer. I'm really looking forward to "Crackdown" on the 360. It's basically GTA from the Police's point of view. However, it's all going to depend on the language in the game. I guess this might be considered a "Rant" but I guess I'm just wondering if I'm the only one out there that is tried of games that add trash for no reason, other than selling to a certain demographic. Maybe I am alone...........maybe I should just sell my 360 and just play my Nintendo Wii :). neo

How I missed this thread so long I have no idea.

I'm a XBox/Nintendo loyalist. Sony can go back to makin' their TVs. :P

I've got a 360, my GamerTag is:

Nestle 18

I play Halo, Ghost Recon, ect. ... That is, when my 360s not BROKEN. :o

That's right, I'm among the people who had their launch 360 brake down.

I, however, have MORE bragging rights than most as I am one of the lucky few who have had their 360 brake down not once, not twice, not 3 times... Nope! Right now I'm on my FIFTH XBox.

I DO love Microsoft though, as they've given me a brand new one everytime and free games and such for being a "lucky winner."

I can't wait for the new Smash Bros! Although, I suppose I'm just getting excited about my brother TOOLING me at yet another game. :(

The only game I'm actually able to beat him at is Halo and that's because I'm "gifted." Actually, my wife also plays and she's AWESOME at Halo and can beat most guys I know. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Alright guys, Tuesday was Maddenoliday. So, who's playing. I picked up Madden for the 360 and the DS. If any of you pansies wanna be schooled look me up :D. neo

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I can finally join in on the conversation and not feel entirely left out(although I am a newbie :P ). Wife suprised me last night by picking up the Xbox 360 while we were out and about. We looked at it initially at Best Buy, but decided to check out the deal at Costco. My wife had done some research on this for my birthday, but we were going down to SDCC and it got put on hold. Hopefully we got a pretty good deal and picked up some extra games last night, Call to Duty 2 and Kameo: Elements of Power. Now I like shoot em ups and the Mrs. likes the quest type games, which is why we picked up Kameo. So the question is, what games do you recommend for your bang for your buck? Any recommendations or discouragements on any of the accessories? Would appreciate the assistance and hope I won't be disappointed, but let me know what you think? Thanks in advance.

Oblivion for the Mrs.

Perfect Dark Zero for you.

Both should be reasonably priced and have a lot to see and do. As for accessories Im assuming you bought the "Non pointless" version of the 360 with the harddrive and as such have the wirless pad? Get yourself a play and charge kit to save on batteries.

Also Xbox Live is awesome get on it!

Edit: noticed the link so you already have the Play/Charge kit :P

Thanks Ady, once the cable company rewires the house and get's outlets where I want them, we'll check out the Live arena(not to mention get better at these games). Couple of questions, was playing a game after setting it up and noticed the fan was pretty loud, is this normal? Also, tried setting up the second controller with little success, is there a trick to this? I'll check back tomorrow, as it's getting late and need to get some sleep :P Just wanted to set it up, test it out and get to bed. Of course that was 3 hours ago :lol:

The 360 is a bit noisy sometimes, check its well ventalated and you havent surrounded it with stuff, with all the technological goodness in it it does generate a fair bit of heat. Some games are noiser than others, I use mine as a Media Center Extender a lot and it is pretty noisy when doing that.

As for the second controler, there is a knack :P

On the front of the 360 there is a small white button next to the memory card slots, press and hold it for a few seconds, then turn on your second pad and press the tiny white button at the top of it for a few seconds, the pad and 360 will then sync (its a one time thing)

I have an an original ds, and mario kart, dry bones ftw. I don't have a wi-fi connector yet so when i get one i will be playing all of you guys.

My cousin has hunters and animal crossing, but he lets me borrow any game so..yeah coool

Thanks for the feedback Ady, Mrs. got up before I did this morning and was playing around with CTD game. Going to take the dog for a walk, shower and get her set up on a project before I attempt setting up the second controller again. I took the batteries out last night and figured I would start fresh this morning. Seems like it should be easy, since it's like my wireless keyboard and mouser. But I was having the damndest time and don't ask me how I set up the first one, lol. As far as the console, it was lying flat on my speaker, but I've moved into to the top of the bar with the tv, opposite of the dvd and cable box. Thanks again for the assistance, need to finish up some things so I can go play some games.

Edit: You said it's a one time deal? Does that mean I only have to set it once or that I only have once to set it up? Sorry for my lack of XB360 knowledge everybody.

...Or your Mrs. can do it for you :P Apparently she worked out the problem, since all I did was take out the batteries and reinstall them :lol: Thanks again for the assist.

• Prey
  • TC: Ghost Recon
  • Oblivion(For the Mrs.)
  • Perfect Dark Zero
Here's some of the games I'm considering, if you have some feedback, let me hear it ;)

Oblivion will eat your life, Perfect Dark Zero is good fun with a decent storyline and enjoyable in multiplayer.

Ghost Recon is incredibly realistic (sensible weapons, couple of hits and your dead) and enjoyable both in single and multiplayer.

Havent played Prey.

If you click on that image in my sig it'll show you what games I've been playing

Where's my DS Family at???

I picked up Star Fox on Thursday and was busy playing Madden and Star Fox all weekend long. Gotta love a holiday.

Star Fox is AWESOME. Here's my review:

Presentation: Anyone who's played a Star Fox game in the past will be at home when the game turns on. The Menu's are clean and easy to follow. The story is told through dialouge and jibberish. The overall story is pretty good and a nice addition to the game. Overall, it's very high polished and easy to get into.

- :):):)

Graphics: The DS gets a lot of flack for trying to pull of 3D games, but I honestly don't understand it. Mario Kart, Metroid Prime, Animal Crossing, Mario 64 DS and Nintendogs are all examples of what the DS can do. The main difference is they are all 1st party games. So, maybe the problem lies within the 3rd parties. Anyway, good news is that Star Fox is a first party game and a very good one. The levels are decent size and nicely detailed. There is a bit of pop-up, but it wasn't personally an issue for any of my battles. The game runs at a smooth 30 fps with an almost unnoticable slowdown with a lot of stuff on the screen. This is, IMHO, one of the best looking 3D DS games to date.

- :):):):mellow:

Gameplay: This is what matters. People bring up graphics and features and all kinds of stuff, but when you get down to the core of it, the most important thing is: "Is it fun to PLAY!". That question is not as easily answered. The game removes itself from it's previous "rail" shooter formula and moves onto a 360 free-fly area type level. All movement is handled via the touch screen. Bottons on the right and left allow you to loop and u-turn while double tapping the top of the screen lets you boost and the bottom lets you brake. Also, to do the signature barrel roll, just simply scribble a line from left to right and back or vise-versa. It does take a little getting used to, especially for those that are so used to the original games, but I have to say that it's precise and extremely fun once you get the hang of it. Also, the levels are not set as Stratigic encounters. You have a certain number of turns to take the enemy base and protect the Great Fox. It adds a new element to the game that is a nice addition for more complexity. Nothing in this game is extremely hard, but in the end it is a very fun game to play.

Features: The game comes equipted with 3 main modes. Single player mode is made up of different planets and missions to visit and battle in. There game can be completeled quickly in a day, but the 9 different endings does encourage playing through again. Next is the single cart multiplayer game. This is a feature that all DS games should have. How often do you find 1, much less 4 or 6, DS owners with the same game. Single Cart is a quick download (compared to some other games, namely Metroid and Mario Kart). The game is fun. My only complaint here is I would like to be able to pick a different fighter from the game rather than a generic arwing. Finally is the Wi-Fi mode, which is worth the price of admission alone. To anyone who has access to a Wi-Fi connection, this is a great game to take only. Personaly, in just the short time I've played online, this is by far my favorite Wi-Fi game yet, even more so than the greatness that is Mario Kart.

- :):):):)

Overall (not an average)

Anyway, September is going to be a Butt Kicker of a month. With games and DVD's, I'm going to be broker than Michael Jackson at Chuck E Cheese. If anyone is interested in being shot out of the sky, add me on your friend list:

729 457

559 472

neo

Picked up Perfect Dark today Ady, thanks to a friend of mine :D I'll let you know how it goes when I have the time to play it, the next week is going to be a blur for the most part with some personal sh*t going on :blink: Got the cable guy coming tomorrow and a convention to prep for Friday-Sunday up here in Seattle ;)

I have had my 360 since day one, and I only own 2 games. Oblivion and Madden. There is nothing else worth my money. I've played ever demo released. I've owned Perfect Dark, Call of Duty, Kameo, NBA Live, Need for Speed, Far Cry, and Ghost Recon. While a few of those games were decent, the only one that felt truly Next-Gen was Call of Duty. Now, I love Oblivion and Madden. Looking into the future though, there isn't much else that looking attractive the rest of the year to me. I'm going to buy LEGO: Star Wars next week. Then, I plan on funnuling all of my money into the Nintendo Wii.......Just a few more months :D. neo