UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

The Best CUSTOMS of 2011

As you already know, the Best and Worst of 2011 voting is taking place right now (don't forget to vote!). Thanks Mini_Myte. This also means it's time for the Best Customs of 2011!

After last year's success (over 80 nominations!), the second annual BEST CUSTOM AWARDS will be the biggest custom show in the whole 'verse! Ever! (This time for real!)

All 'versers will be able to not only vote for the best custom, but just like last year in different categories! This way we can have a closer look at what has been done in the last year and celebrate the awesome customs and their creators. And to get this thing started, we'll proceed as we did last year: we'll start with the nominations. The voting itself will start later this month and there everybody will be able to vote for their favorite customs.

HERE ARE THE RULES FOR THE NOMINATION PROCEDURE:

- Every customizer (and yes, only the customizers themselves) is allowed to nominate one custom of his/her work of 2011 for each of the following categories:

• Best Marvel Comics Custom
  • Best DC Comics Custom
  • Best other Comics Custom (Darkhorse, Vertigo, Image, Dinosaur Comics, indie, webcomics, you name it.)
  • Best movies/TV/cartoon Custom*
  • Best videogame Custom*
  • Best misc Custom* (for every custom not fitting in any of the above, for example sports, cereals, family, Charitymates)
  • Best box set / series of 4+ customs (meaning four or more customs to one theme, hence 'set' and 'series')
  • Best quickcustom (creating a custom by swapping parts only, you know it, right?)
  • Best sculpting (the sculpting itself is what should be judged in this category)
  • Best paintjob (the painting is what should be judged in this category)[/b]
  • Best decal design* (show off what you did on the computer!)

* new or changed categories!

- All in all that's a max of 11 nominations per customizer. You don't have to nominate customs in each and every category to participate. (Honestly, I don't think anybody was <i>that</i> productive last year. Go, prove me wrong. :tongue:

- You are allowed to nominate one and the same custom in different categories, if it fits.

Example: an Edward Cullen custom might be nominated for "Best movie/TV/cartoon" and as part of "Best Box Set" (because you did Bella Swan, Jacob Black and Jasper Halecustoms, too, for your amazing Twilight box set) and "Best paintjob" (because you did an awesome paint job on that one, dude!)

- The right to make changes or don't accept a nomination is reserved by the authorities, if in their almighty opinion it's placed in the wrong category. (I'll PM you in that case.)

Example: a Spider-Man custom is nominated for "Best DC", a quickcustom is nominated for "Best sculpting", a set of three or less is nominated for "Best Box Set of 4+", but also a "Movie Xavier" (X-Men First Class) is nominated for "Best Marvel Comics" or a "616 Hawkeye" is nominated for "Best movie/TV/cartoon". Please think about what you had in mind when you did the custom and I'm sure you'll easily find a category for it! In any other case, I just proceed as the quizmaster in my local Irish pub when he's doing the table quiz: The quizmaster's always right, so even if he's wrong he's right. That's not because I'm megalomaniac (well...), but I want to organize this thingy as good as I can. Last year went pretty smooth, though.

- Everybody who did a custom over the last year is totally encouraged to participate!

- All questions on the nomination procedure should be asked in this thread!

- This should be fun! That's most important! Keep that in mind!

Ready? You made your choices? Brilliant! What to do next:

PM me (Bob Harris) and provide me with

- NAME (of custom)

- THEME (like "Twilight" if it's not obvious, but it's mandatory in case of Best Box Set/Series of 4+)

- CATEGORY (like Best Marvel, Best Sculpting, etc.) and most important a

- LINK (to a picture/custom thread entry incl. pic)

for EACH of your nominations! That's important!

All in one PM would be nice.

THE NOMINATION PROCEDURE STARTS NOW AND WILL END ON SUNDAY JANUARY 15th! Midnight, PST.

The voting itself will start later this month and there everybody will be able to vote for their favorite customs.

PS: The whole Twilight cast idea is bad, isn't it? I googled the names. I've never read anything from that series. For real!

Customizers who already nominated their customs:

(will be updated everytime I get around)

• Mrs. Marvel Fan
  • jcastick
  • Squall
  • Mikebit
  • BrobotC
  • hellpop
  • MiniMyte
  • jboogie
  • Lobsterman
  • TENIME_art
  • boyd
  • Bob Harris
  • Shamrock
  • moo2172
  • Luke
  • Rheul
  • Mattallica
  • TM2 Dinobot
  • Psyguy
  • Beta Ray Bill
  • Nervous
  • WookieFodder
  • eclipse

Edited by Bob Harris
Participants' list updated

Hey Bob, I suggested this last year, and got a "maybe next year!" so... with so many of us using decals, can we also have a "best decal category"?

Anyway, as a *PAST WINNER* (Best Quick Custom 2010!), I'm hoping to add more trophies to my shelf. As long as Shamrock doesn't win them all again.

Glad you guys like it! And I'm also glad the first three participants already sent in their nominations!

Hey Bob, I suggested this last year, and got a "maybe next year!" so... with so many of us using decals, can we also have a "best decal category"?

You are right. I can't give you another maybe, can I? I thought about it and I thought 10 categories is enough, but since you asked. :tongue:

I included another category: Best Decal Design.

But please make sure that the stuff is completely your own work! A lot of people (including myself) are using stuff from Minimate Factory (thanks Luke!) with some tweaks here and there. So this categroy should be your own stuff and your own designs only. Otherwise Luke's wins it all. :whistling:

Can we submit customs which have been made in 2011 but have not been posted here due to lack of time?

Yes, you can. In the end this is about fun and it's up to you. But keep in mind that there's always next year. :tongue:

cough jboogie cough.

cough not-so-fast cough.

But yeah, you can always cheer for your favorites. :thumbsup:

I included another category: Best Decal Design.

But please make sure that the stuff is completely your own work! A lot of people (including myself) are using stuff from Minimate Factory (thanks Luke!) with some tweaks here and there. So this categroy should be your own stuff and your own designs only. Otherwise Luke's wins it all. :whistling:

Thanks, Bob! Nice to see that German efficiency we always hear so much about at work. :thumbsup:

Can I make one suggestion about the "original work only" rule? That shouldn't apply to Luke's templates, just his finished decals. We can't be expected to draw all those muscles and boobs when Luke's already done such a nice job for us, should it?

I am fine with people using my boobs for these awards. :D

What can I say. Go ahead and use Luke's boobs if you want to.

Seriously, those three blank chest templates are okay, but if you nominate a character for best decal design, there should be a lot of your own design be visible.

And keep your nominations coming! So far it looks pretty great!

Edited by Bob Harris

Keep the nominations coming, folks!

I received at least one nomination for each category. Right now DC and the videogame section have only one nomination, so look thorugh your stuff and check whether you got someone who fits there. And I especially encourage every QC veteran to submit their work!

To give my decals a more official look, I use preexisting Minimate muscle patterns & facial features. Would I still be able to nominate my work? I'd liken it to using un-or-slightly-altered parts in physical customs (which darn near everyone does)...

Hell, I copy preexisting patterns and I don't even use decals!

Been trying to kick the habit lately though.

Yes, that thingy is over now... and it is GLORIOUS!!! :tongue:

Thanks a lot so far!

There are over 120 nominations with at least 8 customs in each category with a mindblowing 20 customs nominated in one of them (can you guess wich one?) There are some really great customs, some really obscure characters and some surprises that I totally missed. But that's what this is for: to see what our customizers came up with during the year. And it's going to be tough!

I'll try to finish the gallery untill the end of the week so voting can start on the weekend. Stay tuned!