UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

LCD or Plasma?

The_Donster

We're currently looking at a new flat panel for the living room, but can't decide between a lcd or plasma?!?!?!? Right now we're looking at a 60" Sharp LC60E88UN lcd or a Samsung PN58C550(or C590 w/24fps). While I know that plasma's have come a long way I worry about burn in, reflective lighting, etc. So has anyone else been in this predicament that can help me out? Have a few days before the tax man delivers and could really use some help.

i have been doing research on this myself lately. They seemed to have fixed the plasma burn for the most part on the major brands but i thing the LCD LED are brighter and clearer when i compare them in best buy, but then again I am looking at 3D tvs with my eye on passive vs active.

I spent about 3 months in 2009 trying to decide myself, and went with a 58" Panasonic Plasma. I haven't regretted the decision at all.

There is occasionally "image retention", but "burn-in" is pretty much a thing of the past unless you are extremely negligent with the TV.

The difference between "image retention" and "burn-in":

Image retention is a temporary issue where static objects may appear in extreme bright or dark images. News tickers and channel logos are the big ones, static health bars in video games too, for example. Image retention is generally resolved simply by watching TV. I have had this TV over a year now and haven't had image retention last long enough to be noticeably distracting.

Burn-in is a permanent damaging of the screen due to a static image. This was prevalent in early generation plasma screens, but all modern TVs have safeguards built in to eliminate this. My Panasonic has something called "pixel orbiter" where every minute, the image will automatically shift left or right 1 pixel. It is enough to prevent the image from being burned in, but 1 pixel isn't enough of a difference for the human eye to register.

LCD screens are generally brighter and more vivid "larger than life" displays, while plasma screens are more cinematic and "life-like" with deeper black levels. When comparing in a store, the brightness difference between LCD and Plasma will be noticeable, but remember that once you have the TV in home, you won't constantly be comparing against another screen. My Plasma looks really bright to me, but I'm sure that it would look dimmer again if I hooked up an LCD right next to it.

If you go LCD, make sure that you get a screen with a 120 or 240 Hz processor, otherwise you will see trails in fast-moving scenes.

Plasma screens are HEAVY and put out a lot more heat and use more energy than LCD.

Finally, if you decide to go plasma, only buy Panasonic, don't waste your money on any other brand of plasma TV.

If you go LCD, I would stick to Sharp Aquos or Samsung.

The most important factor though is to buy what YOU like and what looks good to YOU. :thumbsup:

Edited by youbastards

When I was making my decision it all came down to the blacks.

With an LCD, the blacks are muddied and just a bit gray due to the construction of the TV. Meanwhile a Plasma has a truer black, and while it might not be as bright over all, the colors are much more saturated.

Personally, I went with the Plasma and I've never looked back. I have a 50' Panasonic Viera. Good luck on finding yours!

When I was making my decision it all came down to the blacks.

With an LCD, the blacks are muddied and just a bit gray due to the construction of the TV. Meanwhile a Plasma has a truer black, and while it might not be as bright over all, the colors are much more saturated.

Personally, I went with the Plasma and I've never looked back. I have a 50' Panasonic Viera. Good luck on finding yours!

+1 I have a 50" and 42" Panasonic Viera plasma and 32" RCA LCD. I prefer the plasmas for the same reasons above. The picture just looks better. When it's time to retire these i'm rolling over to LED though.

Hey YB, that Sharp is definitely meets the criteria you mentioned, but why are you saying Panasonic for the plasma? Most retailers locally aren't selling those without the 3D being inclusive on the set and that isn't our thing :confused: This is something we wouldn't use. When my wife took a look at some of the demos she said she was starting to get a headache. Between that and the price, Samsung seemed to be a great choice in the plasma department. Also, what can you tell me about the 24fps? Is that something I need or is it a waste for the extra $100? Just need a little feedback before I go check these out one last time at Video Only and Best Buy. Wish I wasn't so reluctant about buying things online, I don't really like giving BB that much of my hard earned money :lol: Not sure how big his living room is, but here's a pic of mine BHM. Should more than accommodate our living room. Of course once I'm done with this I'll have decide on what bd(wifi installed, not ready) and sound system to get, a HTIB or seperate components?

Night shots:

LivingRoom1.jpg

LivingRoom2.jpg

LivingRoom3.jpg

Day shots:

DayShot1.jpg

DayShot2.jpg

DayShot3.jpg

Not looking to start a LCD/LED vs Plasma pissing contest fellas. I'm looking for some suggestions to help me in my purchase needs ;) I went and checked out both of the fp's today and have to say both of them are equally matched in every way except price. This is where the Samsung kind of comes out ahead of the pack and affords me a little extra to get a nice receiver, surround sound and built in wi-fi BD player :D Going to call the salesman tomorrow and check on the availability of it and whether I can get a decent package deal. Anyway, appreciate the positive feedback. Definitely some things to consider :)

Does anyone have these LG's or have any thoughts on them, LG 60PK540, 60PK550 or 55LX6500? This is an alternative I'm looking at for the Sharp we're considering.

Went with the LG 55LE5500 LED and boy am I glad I got that size. Right now it is set up on the bar on the pedestal and it just dominates that wall :lol: Picked it, the Samsung BD-D5700, Onkyo HT-S5300 for around $2112 and they threw in 3 HDMI cables and a wireless adapter for the tv. Anyway, appreciate everyone's feedback and I'll post some pics once I have everything hooked up. One happy camper so far :D

Edited by The_Donster

• 1 month later...

Now that the love of my life has gone (yesterday) I decided to placate myself & finally get my new TV & like you Don I entered the minefield again. I'm probably getting a Panasonic 50 & here's a review of it http://www.homes-improvements.com/panasonic-txp50u30txp50u30bvideo-review-cheap-600hz-plasma-tv-john-walsh.html

I guess that you're probably thinking "what's the point of reading a TV review" & I don't blame you but......just read it :blink::lol:

Dude, your car is really hip for an old timer. Looks like something the kids run up and down my street driving :P I'll probable go plasma with the family room set, but I have to get rid of the cats and decontaminate that room before I worry about that :lol: It is a pretty good sized room, so I'll probable go much bigger with that one. I've heard good things on the blu-ray forum about the Panasonics BHM and think you will really enjoy it. I'll read that review when it is quiet and I don't have too many distractions ;)

• 4 months later...

Well now we're looking into a new set for our family room, which is basically 14'W x 19'L. I'm leaning towards the Panasonic TC-P65ST30, but I'm wondering if I should save up and get the TC-65VT30. As far as LED's, I was looking at the Sharp LC70LE732U. Which is around the same price as the ST30, a little more. Anyway, was wondering if anyone had any input?

I'm pretty happy with the IMAX that we have in the lower-field area & apart from a couple of complaints from our neighbours ....mainly about the 7:1 sound distortion ...everything is going just fine. We've got some 40" LCD's in the rest-rooms which seem to keep most of our visitors happy but there have been a few incidents with the 50" plasmas above the guest-room beds which is understandable in the circumstances.

In all honesty Donster ...you need a bigger family room ,forget screen-size until you get a decent room-size :biggrin:

:thumbsup:

Are you frackin with me, are you FRACKIN with ME?!?!? I've got a long ass room(19'Feet) and think the 65" or 70" is going to look great. Really looking for advice on the FP's and not in having my balls busted :P I will say I'm really leaning towards the Panasonic. I remember youbastard recommending that the last time I was looking for a set. I just have to decide if the more expensive one is really worth it or not.

I have an LCD and LED. THE LED is superior.

Which one do you have and what size MOC? I have the 55" LG(living room) and a 47" Vizio(Bedroom) already and like the picture.