UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Oscars 2010

Trekker 42

Nominees released: http://www.imdb.com/features/oscars/2011/nominations

Now my prediction of Best Picture goes to The Social Network (Mostly through the plethora of awards it's been getting. Good indication.). Do I want it to win? Nah. Not really. I want to finally see the animated film get it. It's not going to. But I want it to. If not, True Grit or Inception. Or I'd be fine with The King's Speech even though I have yet to see it. (Ah if only it wasn't a limited release that nobody anywhere near here is showing.) Black Swan is another I want to see. As for the rest they kinda strike me as the Academy trying NOT to vote for studio films. (What the F**K is Winter's Bone? I mean seriously what the f**k is it? Until this list came out I had never heard of any Winter's Bone. Yet it has 2 acting nominations, a screenplay, and a Best Picture nomination. Where was its marketing? When the hell was it released? WHAT THE F**K IS IT!?!? Was it like screened for just the academy? I don't know. I have not heard of this movie. Seems like it wanted to let awards market for it. That just bothers me.)

As for the acting ones I can't say as I have not seen pretty much any of those films. Like, none of them. True Grit. That's it. However I should say Hailee Steinfeld blew my f**king mind. Blew. My. Mind. This girl has potential and I kinda think the Oscars should recognize her performance in her first movie which, honestly, was much better than many well established actresses who made their 20-30th films this year. Much better.

Directing: see Acting. I liked True Grit. Ok fine, I LOVED True Grit. But I doubt it'll get it.

Animated: Toy Story. No question.

Art Direction: Alice in Wonderland. If that movie deserves any award it's art direction. That was a convincing and amazing world. Too bad the script just didn't do it justice...

Costume design (I used stills to decide on this one): King's Speech or Alice I think fits this one well. I like the costumes in the King's Speech. Now I just need to see this movie...

Makeup (again stills): Alas Wolfman. If only your makeup was in a different movie... That doesn't stop me from thinking it was the best. From a layman's view, that film had really good makeup. I'll hand it there.

Original score: Dunno... I haven't heard all of the scores. Going off of what I have heard ( Inception and Dragon) gotta say Inception.

Original Song: I See the Light. Walk away with that Oscar Tangled. Walk away with it.

Sound Mixing: Damn this King's Speech gets one in everything doesn't it? Based off the movies I saw it'll go to Inception. Based off of all, I just have no clue.

Visual Effects: I saw all but Hereafter. I give this one to either Iron Man or perhaps Inception. Hallway fight... Inception.

Not even gonna try with Documentaries or shorts.

Cinematography: Credit where credit is due friends. Let's see Inception walk away with it like Dark Knight did.

Foreign film: Not gonna bother. I didn't see them. I probably won't. Unless it's for Tarantino I hate subtitles. Distracting...

Original screenplay: From what I can tell, this might go to King's Speech. And it might go to Inception. I almost think Inception as almost an apology for 2008's epic Dark Knight snub. Sorry Nolan. We screwed you over. Here. Have an Oscar for your masterpiece of a screenplay.

Adapted: God I want it to go to True Grit. I mean DAMN that was good dialogue... DAMN good dialogue. Take it Cohen's. Take that Oscar and run with it.

You know how BSG's finale was highly polarizing among fans for its thematic content and ambiguously constructed ending? I sort of imagine Black Swan as something just like that.

Of the big-name nominees I only managed to see Inception, The Social Network, Toy Story 3 and Black Swan. I was genuinely surprised that Nolan wasn't nominated for Best Director but hey, what can you do? I don't ultimately care I guess who actually wins but I'm still sort of torn on Jesse Eisenberg getting the Best Actor nom. Natalie Portman deserved being nominated for Best Actress IMO though, if only because she really helped sell how mortifying that story was.

Also your bit about the Academy "apologizing" for the Dark Knight snub reminds me too much of this.

Also your bit about the Academy "apologizing" for the Dark Knight snub reminds me too much of this.

Agreed, Agreed, Agreed!

The 'Academy' are total eff-wits who bow and lean to all sorts of stupid pressure rather than just rewarding the best work of the year. That item on the cracked list about rewarding actors as partial life-time achievement awards is totally true!

I was actually disgusted when Heath Ledger won for his role in Dark Knight . . . not because i thought his performance was bad, but because the Academy never would have given him the award if he were alive.