UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Need More Brawlers - A Rant

neolego

Ok, so I've been thinking about this. Currently people pour years and money into games that alot of times just don't live up to the Hype. Then, I play something like Scott Pilgrim. I paid $10 for it, and have had more fun then the majority of the other games that I've played this year! Why can't companies get this. Smaller, Cheaper, SOLID made games will always sell and will always be popular. I am really hoping that Scott Pilgrim will revive the Brawler genre and we can start seeing some more classic, 16 bit type games that are just pure fun. Mega Man 9 brought back the classic look on current consoles, although MM is more a Platform/Shooter. Scott Pilgrim takes that same idea and makes a current and fresh brawler in the vein of "Double Dragon" or "River City Ransom". And at $10, on digital distribution they will make a killing on it.....so why aren't more companies jumping on this train.

Think about it, how much would you LOVE to boot up a classic Avengers style, side scrolling Brawler. Choose from Cap, Thor, Iron Man, or Hawkeye. Beat the mess out of a bunch of Hydra Agents or Skrulls. What about a Star Wars Brawler. You could set it in any saga, Prequels, Classic Trilogy, Clone Wars, doesn't matter. Choose from a Jedi, a Shooter, a Wookie, and a Droid and go to town. Add a few great vehicle missions and you have an instant money making machine. What about an old school, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers game....seriously, think about it. Choose from 1 of the six rangers. Play in human form until you work up enough energy to morph. Fight off putties and monsters. And, if you wanted to add more guns into the mix, a G.I. Joe game that is a mix of Scott Pilgrim and Metalslug would be instant win.

Instead, we get Super Hero Squad and Star Wars: The Clone Wars and G.I. Joe the Video Game.............which would you rather play? Exactly!

Well, just had to get that off my chest. If I had any programming skills at all I would be kicking out games like Scott Pilgrim ever six months, but alas I have no skills so I just have to pray that developers will follow suit and start giving us more games that are more fun than flash!

neo

Edited by neolego

Think about it, how much would you LOVE to boot up a classic Avengers style, side scrolling Brawler. Choose from Cap, Thor, Iron Man, or Hawkeye.

Actually, substitute Vision for Thor, and that game already exists! I played the heck out of the arcade version, and had it on Genesis. Was called "the Avengers."* Doesn't get more classic than an actual classic. There was also a Spiderman side-scroller where you could control Hawkeye, but it wasn't as good (if memory serves).

*most memorable lines from the game:

Bad guy: "You'll never escape!"

Good guy: "You'll be the one escaping!"

Edited by karamazov80

If memory serves, Punisher was weird because the 2nd player was Nick Fury. Would Fury really go out to the streets with Frank, mowing down random criminals and suspected criminals? I guess he was the only other major Marvel guy at the time who used guns?