UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Smallville Season 10

Twisted Two-Face

Speaking of real Superhero costumes...

Something from the EW website.

Wings still on the small side. But you couldn't ask for a more faithful Stargirl (which is both a good and bad thing in a way.

But hey, It's freakin' Dr. Fate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So did anyone catch Absolute Justice last weekend? I thought it was a little weak in parts, and I found it hard to believe that it took the combined might of the JLA and JSA to take out

Icicle

. I wish they'd had a few more villains in there. That being said, I enjoyed seeing these characters on the screen, and I laughed out loud when DC Direct's favourite

Ma Hunkel

made a guest appearance. Doctor Fate was really well done. John Jones' new costume though - I'm not sure what to think about that. :D

Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but I thought it was probably better than starting a new one.

John's 'costume' is pretty cool to me, as the red 'x' straps have become his

gun holsters (I'm not sure if this really a spoiler)

. But anyway, it was

Icicle with Dr. Fate's helmet.

Stargirl's mask is still too high up her forehead. Yes the Doctor's costume and character was great, and I loved that bit where they were

watching the video of the JSA being arrested.

I loved that bit where they were

watching the video of the JSA being arrested.

Ya see, i am a HUGE Golden Age JSA fan, and this had me worried for a few seconds. I had no clue how they'd tie that into continuity and prayed to God Johns didn't "Geoffcon" my JSA into

convicts given a "second chance"

. Luckily Johns proved me wrong, like he usually does. :) I mean, he IS a JSA-writer veteran, so i guess that calls for something.

And let me just say, being a GL fan, Alan is my personal 2nd favorite GL and my all-time favorite JSAer; i had lots of geek-out moments every time good ole Alan Scott got an easter-egg cameo. :lol: At least Geoff actually stuck to Alan's backstory when describing him; i smiled hearing it.

Being a JSA fan, i got a kick out of the old-syle cheesy feel of this "movie." It was great in most parts, and like everything Smallville it had its low points; Carter was reeeeeaaally channeling his Christian Bale. A LOT. Icicle was awful too; i just hope that, in accordance to the last 5 minutes (BEST FIVE MINUTES OF SMALLVILLE EVER), we get more

Suicide Squaders. I'd love to see Deadshot or maybe even tie Poison Ivy into a Bruce Wayne story.

;)

. One thing i really loved is how much set-up Geoff left for the JSA to be picked-up again later for more episodes; i have a feeling we aren't done with them yet.

I can picture them fitting Grant (Wildcat) in there somewhere, being a boxer/trainer (hell, i had hoped he would have been Lana's trainer last season.) and the use of Checkmate allows the later use of Alan Scott, since he was a member at one point.

We have to see some JSA action by the series' end next season.

Oh!! And did anyone catch the name of the restaurant Chloe walked out of in the beginning?? Ragu's!!!!!!!! What's that??

The coffee shop KYLE RAYNER frequented when he was GL in the 90s!!!!!!!!

Hmm.....so this, AND

Alan's involvement with Checkmate

. Am i stretching too far here????? Anyone see what i'm getting at?? :)

Edited by Twisted Two-Face

Hawkman was totally awesome! As a Stargate fan, I've never really found him to be intimidating as Daniel Jackson, but he managed to pull it off quite well. The voice was silly, but it didn't really distract much from the awesomeness of the episode.

I love me some Dr. Fate, but Icicle was just silly.

I can't wait to see Pam Grier in more episodes.

I just watched the episodes again tonight for the second time. Easily my favorite episodes of the entire 9 year run. So many little geekout moments, from all the JSA easter eggs, to fighting the urge to yell

"don't take that phone, Lois!"

at the screen, to

"I do like cookies."

making me laugh out loud.

Now as Smallville is want to do, it took a whole lot of build-up for a 2 minute fight at the near end. Would more villains been nice... yes and no... more villains would have taken even more exposition to explain who they were and what they did. Johns picked

Icicle

because he just has a mad love of the guy, just check out the amount of screen time he gave the thrid-rater in his early JSA run. I read an interview with Johns where he said he'd originally written more characters, both JLA and JSA into the story-

Aquaman, Wildcat and both Black Canaries

. But the actors playing

JLA Canary and Aquaman

were unavailable, so Lois and Tess's scenes were expanded. You can see some of that surviving early in the episode with

Pemberton's notebook

. So if you thought the last fight was lopsided as shown...

Still, they did an unflinching Superhero episode, something they've tried hard to avoid for the first 7 seasons. The closest they came before this was the single Hoodie League episode, which was close, but still not quite there. And that the episode did really well in the ratings, for the CW on a Friday night, will probably encourage the producers to do more straight super-tights stuff.

And it wasn't the "I need a Riiiiicolaaaa!" Bale imitation that bothered me as much as the way the breast plate made Hawkman look like he needed to hit the ab-rocker a bit more before suiting up again. Still,

the sincerity with which Shanks said "It's been a long time since I made someone bleed." while staring lovingly at his mace

... how can you not love that?

Don't get me wrong when I say it was weak in parts; I do love Smallville and I loved Absolute Justice. It was great to see real superheroes on the show and I hope it happens more. Clark looked a bit underdressed in his Blur costume. I thought the JSA characters themselves were all handled really well, and I hope to see them back again at some point on the show. I also look forward to seeing where the

Checkmate and Suicide Squad

arc that they've started goes.

One of the things that really stood out about the last

Checkmate/Waller

scene... they used the word "

Apocalypse

" like three times in under a minute. Now a long time ago, when I briefly entertained thoughts of being a writer before realizing my imagination outstripped my actual talent by miles, I took several writing classes in college, including a couple on screen writing. From this I know that word time on screen is at a premium and you don't waste it. And being a comics geek, the word

Apocalypse

or rather

Apokolips

means something specific in any DCU. So as excited as I am to see them pick up the

Suicide Squad/Checkmate

story again, and they are already scheduled to at least once, if not twice more this season, I am much more curious if they are really even thinking of going

4th World

on us.

And I understood what you meant, Graham. As cool as the show was, it was still Smallville, and suffered a lot of the weaknesses typical for any episode. But this season is the first time since the 4th season that it feels like the show is actually has a sense of direction again. It wasted years chasing it's own tail, tredding water and trapping Clark on an increasingly deserted farm pinning for Lana. And last year... well... strong start, aborted finish, and a whole lot of "what do we do without Lex" on the writer's parts. But this season is shaping up nicely and I find myself hoping they get another season next year. But then, there's ample time for this to slide into suck again.

I was able to find a stream of this episode and nearly had a nerdgasm. Just loved the trophy cases and the painting on the wall. Hawkman looked a little off but Doc Fate was for me spot on classic looking with a modern little touch.

I havent watched Smallville in an age even though I have series 1-8 on DVD just not got around to them yet, but this I loved.

I will put a link to the stream if a mod tells me its ok.

Edited by MiniFiend UK

• 3 months later...

Anyone else catch the finale of this?

I think it may have been the first Smallville finale in years that wasn't just a highway pile-up of too many too-unresolved storylines into a big rushed mess. They actually brought the Zod, Chloe, Lois/Clark and League storylines all together in a pretty satisfying way, I was kind of amazed! :P

At least until the last 30 seconds where it may have gotten just a teensy weensy bit

Jesus-y. Really the only way it could have been more Jesus-y would be if -- after stabbing him with the krypto-spear (!) -- Zod had also stabbed him with three little krypto-nails to a giant krypto-cross, before he fell. And who falls backwards with their feet together like that?

So I would like to have seen a bit more subtlety there, but otherwise good times!

Haha, definitely agree with the the last 30 seconds- that was odd. But also, I too have not been impressed with one of their finales in a long time. Instead of an "Are you kidding? That was ridiculous", feeling it was more of a, "What? No, it can't end there." And how about that opening? That was really neat. A surprisingly decent end to a bizarre and messy season.

I must say, though, the previous episode with

the Red Queen reveal

actually managed to top the dumbest things the show has ever done. Sorry but that was just too much.

Edited by Samwise Gamgee

My DVR didn't record it. I have it set as series recording, check earlier that day to make sure it would, and for some reason it skipped it. :(

And now i wait for Hulu...however long that will take.

Should be viewable here: http://www.cwtv.com/cw-video/smallville/

The opening was fun for sure. And yeah the

Red Queen and all the Checkmate stuff was pretty annoying this season, but I liked having Perry White back in the mix briefly.

I think I forgave most of Smallville's ridiculousness this year because I really liked where they took the Lois/Clark relationship, and the show had a compelling long-term villain for once in Zod.

The wife and I have always been big fans of any and all Superman mythos, and were definitely into Smallville from the start, but the last two seasons or so have been painful to watch. The finale this season did renew some hope for the show, but only if they start heading back towards a true Superman theme. I think we've seen enough origins, just get on with it already. :P

Okay, so i just finished the Finale. One word:

Wow.

I haven't been impressed by Smallville this much since Absolute Justice, and not many times before that episode either. That was great; there are always some parts that people don't like (

I was a HUGE Tess fan

:(), butall in all i loved it.

I do have a theory though, for the future of Season 10. It's probably totally ridiculous, but it's interesting nonetheless:

I got a lot of subtle hints at all sorts of "Bigger Power that be" in Smallville this season. They all started with the mention of the Anti-life Equation, and then got progressively bigger with the shot-down "Apocalypse" mentioning by Waller; peopl tend to chalk that up to "poor coice of words" when dealing with the Superman mythos. But this ep. gave me a lot of suspicions. I list all of mine that i caught from the season:

Anti-life Equation

"Apocalypse"

Old woman knitting outside Tess's room

Multiple "things" attacking Oliver, that AREN'T Kandorians

Transportation of "Gods" among men to a new World

The whole "God"/Jesus aspect in those 30 secs

Yea...i'm going towards a "New Gods" idea. "Apocalypse is coming???" Apokalips??? I mean, old woman making a sweaer?? "Granny Goodness???" Multiple RED blurps, really fast, and aren't Kandorian?? "Parademons????" (Superpowers RED...thats a stretch...). Transportation to a New World??? Where are the New Gods now???

I honestly think i might be onto something. Too many nods to just be coincidences. I could be totally wrong, but it's...interesting...

Edited by Twisted Two-Face

Wow.

I haven't been impressed by Smallville this much since Absolute Justice, and not many times before that episode either. That was great; there are always some parts that people don't like (

I was a HUGE Tess fan

I do have a theory though, for the future of Season 10. It's probably totally ridiculous, but it's interesting nonetheless:

I got a lot of subtle hints at all sorts of "Bigger Power that be" in Smallville this season. They all started with the mention of the Anti-life Equation, and then got progressively bigger with the shot-down "Apocalypse" mentioning by Waller; peopl tend to chalk that up to "poor coice of words" when dealing with the Superman mythos. But this ep. gave me a lot of suspicions. I list all of mine that i caught from the season:

Anti-life Equation

"Apocalypse"

Yea...i'm going towards a "New Gods" idea. "Apocalypse is coming???" Apokalips??? I mean, old woman making a sweaer?? "Granny Goodness???" Multiple RED blurps, really fast, and aren't Kandorian?? "Parademons????" (Superpowers RED...thats a stretch...). Transportation to a New World??? Where are the New Gods now???

I honestly think i might be onto something. Too many nods to just be coincidences. I could be totally wrong, but it's...interesting...

oh certainly, i thought the same thing with every point you made there. I do have one question though... when was the

Anti-Life Equation

mentioned? I'm not doubting you at all, I just missed that completely, would love to go re-watch that bit. one potential problem may be budget... i can seeing it being quite as epic as we... as fans, would like to see.

one thing about the

Jesus aspect

a few have mentioned... that has always been the case with Superman, there are so many references/similarities, which no one has ever made any intention of hiding. Things like... dying to save Earth from Doomsday, before rising again. That fall in the finale was v. reminiscent if his fall to Earth in Superman Returns. This is one aspect of the Superman mythos which i've always found so captivating, Kal-El, and the 'S' symbol are so much more inspiring and than any religious symbol or teaching to me... Superman is the definitive shining light in a world oh so capable of descending into darkness. I'd say... those last 30 seconds or so, are some of the most genuine Superman moments in smallville so far.

anyway... back to the episode, the

flashforward

intro was very left field for the general tone of the show, I bloody loved it! After some extremely dodgy moments throughout its run... Smallville is really moving now, and we've been promised the proper costume before the end of series 10.

one thing about the

Jesus aspect

a few have mentioned... that has always been the case with Superman, there are so many references/similarities, which no one has ever made any intention of hiding. Things like... dying to save Earth from Doomsday, before rising again. That fall in the finale was v. reminiscent if his fall to Earth in Superman Returns. This is one aspect of the Superman mythos which i've always found so captivating, Kal-El, and the 'S' symbol are so much more inspiring and than any religious symbol or teaching to me... Superman is the definitive shining light in a world oh so capable of descending into darkness. I'd say... those last 30 seconds or so, are some of the most genuine Superman moments in smallville so far.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with the concept itself, just how incredibly literal they were in executing it this time around. I haven't seen Superman Returns since it came out, but from what I remember of that scene it was much more subtle and yet still very, very clear what they were going for. YMMV of course :)

Wow.

I was a HUGE Tess fan

Anti-life Equation

"Apocalypse"

Yea...i'm going towards a "New Gods" idea. "Apocalypse is coming???" Apokalips??? I mean, old woman making a sweater?? "Granny Goodness???" Multiple RED blurps, really fast, and aren't Kandorian?? "Parademons????" (Superpowers RED...thats a stretch...). Transportation to a New World??? Where are the New Gods now???

oh certainly, i thought the same thing with every point you made there. I do have one question though... when was the

Anti-Life Equation

mentioned? I'm not doubting you at all, I just missed that completely, would love to go re-watch that bit. one potential problem may be budget... i can seeing it being quite as epic as we... as fans, would like to see.

one thing about the

Jesus aspect

anyway... back to the episode, the

flashforward

intro was very left field for the general tone of the show, I bloody loved it! After some extremely dodgy moments throughout its run... Smallville is really moving now, and we've been promised the proper costume before the end of series 10.

Earlier episode, like before the mid-season break i think.

Season 10, according to Variety, IGN, and Tom Welling is the final season of Smallville. I think I may actually watch the final episode just to see Flight and Tights finally.

Exciting.

• 4 months later...
Well, Smallville Season 10 has premiered. AMAZING episode, and i have just 3 words to describe my feelings:

I was right.

:)

Should we rename this thread as Season 10, or make a new one?? i'm thinking rename...

I watched it and loved it

I wonder if alex will turn into the big threat b/c alex has some of lex's dna

Well, Smallville Season 10 has premiered. AMAZING episode, and i have just 3 words to describe my feelings:

I was right.

:)

Should we rename this thread as Season 10, or make a new one?? i'm thinking rename...

I watched it and loved it

I wonder if alex will turn into the big threat b/c alex has some of lex's dna

I doubt it.

I think he's there to

give Tess a much friendlier, maternal side; with all these Lexes and New Gods running around, they prolly don't want EVERYONE to be bad. Quite frankly, i love Momma Tess.

:wub:

I doubt it.

I think he's there to

give Tess a much friendlier, maternal side; with all these Lexes and New Gods running around, they prolly don't want EVERYONE to be bad. Quite frankly, i love Momma Tess.

:lol:momma tess:lol:

if not alex than who is the ultra evil threat?Isn't doomsday already gone....{sorry if its a dumb question I don't read superman}

I doubt it.

I think he's there to

if not alex than who is the ultra evil threat?Isn't doomsday already gone....{sorry if its a dumb question I don't read superman}

You saw the last 5 minutes right??

it's Darkseid

I doubt it.

I think he's there to

You saw the last 5 minutes right??

it's Darkseid

OOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH that smoke was darkseid?I can't believe I forgot about darkseid while thinking about the possible villains all those days of watching super friends just flew by my head,and I watched super friends a month ago!

Edited by darkredshdow