UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Import Ducks

Cappy

Amongst the other things I collect, I've got a medium pile of rubber ducks. So Mrs Cappy comes home with these six curiosities. These ducks look familiar to some iconic heroes, but to avoid trademark infringement, the manufacturer has changed them. In some cases, so much that they're unrecognizable.

Here's what I've figured out, from left to right:

Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern. The last two, I don't know. They do seem to be DC characters. Any thoughts?

post-29-1253935761_thumb.jpg

Amongst the other things I collect, I've got a medium pile of rubber ducks. So Mrs Cappy comes home with these six curiosities. These ducks look familiar to some iconic heroes, but to avoid trademark infringement, the manufacturer has changed them. In some cases, so much that they're unrecognizable.

Here's what I've figured out, from left to right:

Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern. The last two, I don't know. They do seem to be DC characters. Any thoughts?

Second to last is Superman you can tell by the diamond shaped duck symbol. The last... Magneto? I know he isn't DC but...

Edit: I also thought captain comet for the last one because of the sunburst logo but I can not find any images of him with a helmet.

Edited by vbpanizzi

D'oh! Superman, of course! His blonde hair threw me off. My best guess on the last on is Max Mercury, but that's pretty obscure.

And yes, MiniFiend, these ducks did come from the Oriental Trading Company, but no hints to be found in the listing.

Edited by Cappy

Yeah, that last ducky's stumping me too. Maybe at that point the designers were just pulling random superhero costume tropes out of the air and mashing them up? :confused:

Tangent: I only discovered fairly recently the huge rubber ducky fandom on the Net. I have seen a couple of interesting-looking ones in stores here: there's the typical Frankenstein and bathtime (meaning "wearing a bathrobe and a towel on his head") ducky, and then there's the Darth Vader, Stormtrooper and Doctor Who pastiches...

So you actively collect these rubber ducks? I only ask because each year at Mardi Gras and St. Patricks day, some parades throw rubber duckies themed for the occassion (A Mardi Gras King duck & St.Paddy duck). I think I have a few if you want a couple. If I can't find them, I can set you up when carnival season rolls around again...

I'm not sure actively collecting is the right term (far too many ducks in existence to undertake that task). But when a memorable or applicable duck comes along, he's welcomed to the family. Well, any duck, really. So, yeah, Mardi Gras ducks via Shanester would be worthy additions. :)

• 1 month later...

Hey Cap, I just cannot find one of the Mardi Gras ducks, but have no fear, MG season is just around the corner. I will get you hooked up. In the meantime, I still have a St. Pat's duck if you are interested.