UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Suggestions for Collecting New Lines

I'll admit it. I'm in love with the new 3.75" scale figures coming out. So many great figures with perfect sculpting. Unfortunately, I don't have piles of cash to collect all of these new lines. So here are some things I am doing to save money. Feel free to add your strategies as well.

• I've been coveting 25th Anniversary GI Joe figures since they came out. I took the plunge with the MASS DVD sets and I've been hooked ever since. However, I've refrained from paying outrageous prices for figures (One exception: I paid through the nose for the 5th MASS device set). How? I've waited for everything to go on Clearance. Online stores are selling 25th Anniv. figures and vehicles right now for as low as $3.00 a figure and $5.00 a vehicle to make way for the new movie figures. Go crazy!
  • I've also been buying figures on Ebay in Lots. It's hit or miss and you don't always find your favorite characters, but you build your collection FAST.
  • What are your strategies?
Edited by Jatta Pake

If you start collecting a while after a line starts, like I did with minimates, then you just have to be willing to pay a lot more to get things on ebay or be lucky like me and find a great forum like this where there are great people to trade with like all of you!

If you are starting from the beginning of a line than of course it is easier to just get them as they come out. But the other question is whether you are going to get everything in a line (like me and the new MOTU classics) or just whatever strikes you as cool (like I have become with my SW collecting). When I got into minimates I bought a huge portion of the stuff I had missed on ebay and it took a while but now with a trade this week I have completed all my want list.

I can only stand waiting for something to go on clearance if it something that I just am casually interested in. But if something I am die hard into goes on clearance than I buy a whole bunch. Not sure if this answers what you are asking but there you go.

My strategy:

I started collecting Minimates (& kubricks) about three years ago . As soon as it became obvious that I was hooked I started concentrating on what was hot & what was not. That involved studying these boards & studying ebay without necessarily buying anything or posting on here. DST were only on Wave 12 or so & the mood on here was not good ....the drought was on & I started buying up what I considered to be the rare stuff which was only going to get rarer . I concentrated on the variants & promos & only MIB & completed every variant in every wave before I had many of the common sets.....but I just kept procuring the variants & I still am.

OK so that was my early strategy & from Wave 14 I have bought 'god-cases' direct from the US as & when they are released , I buy everything but still overbuy on 'interesting' lines such as ..... :whistling:

The early strategy therefore was to concentrate on the hard stuff & the easy stuff will follow .

Things changed in many ways when I began to converse more with my friends on here & all my previous ruthlessness evaporated as I began to help & be helped in finding 'wants'. Trading with members here is much more satisfying ,as is sending some 'mates to someone purely because I want to :D

I know bloody well that I pissed people off with my 'early strategy' because I've subsequently been told but when you collect something that is uniquely sold in N.America & you live in the UK you have to be a bit ruthless to 'complete' a set of Minimates..... if that is even possible.

I have since learned that the later Toy Karma strategy which is far more successful & far healthier & must be employed when collecting any line ..........

Edited by buttheadsmate