UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Bring Comic Covers/Scenes to Life! Minimate Style!!!

AdyCarter

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was planning on doing this cover, and I wanted to check and make sure that it would be allowed first before doing any work on it. So I asked Ady, and he said that it is definitely allowed, because it is a gatefold (foldout) cover. Yes, it was separate variant covers, but it also was released as one foldout cover. I guess that alone makes it viable. *shrugs*

there were three or four different versions of issue 1 three of them were wrap around covers and the fourth was a deluxe book with a double gatefold cover that brought the other issues together on one book so yup its a cover

Hey everyone, long time lurker, first time poster and if anything can break the lurk its got to be this kind of challenge.

Gillbob316 this ones for you;

th.30d0587f90.jpg

th.b60d8154f6.jpg

Made all the tougher by no Gambit, Psylocke or Beast figs, but I think y'all can see what bits went where.

That just became my wallpaper man! Thats SICK

and welcome to non lurkness :)

Thanks all. I had to assume it was allowed since I have the gatefold version in my bookcase, it makes me feel old to think that I went and bought it from the store the month it came out...

And Thing makes a great Beast when you give him Wolvie's hair and paint him blue, but Ghost Rider makes a better Gambit.

You could still give it a go Donny, you could make a better version than me.

B)-->

QUOTE(Donny B @ Sep 11 2006, 01:28 AM)

I was planning on doing this cover, and I wanted to check and make sure that it would be allowed first before doing any work on it. So I asked Ady, and he said that it is definitely allowed, because it is a gatefold (foldout) cover. Yes, it was separate variant covers, but it also was released as one foldout cover. I guess that alone makes it viable. *shrugs*

Yep I okeayed this, its a comic cover after all.

You could still give it a go Donny, you could make a better version than me.

Yeah, I thought about it for a while. When I first saw your entry, I had decided that I wasn't going to finish mine, and I would begin working on a different cover. Cuz really, you obviously put a lot of work into this, and the last thing I would want is to (by some far chance) win with something that somebody already did. I just wouldn't feel right about that at all. But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that not only have I already put in a massive amount of work on my version of this cover, but my end result is going to look fairly different from yours. And add that to the fact that, with the amazing work that we've already seen from other competitors, I doubt I could place in the top three regardless... Well, needless to say, I came to the conclusion that I will continue work on mine after all... At the very least, I will have an entry that I know I put my best effort into B)

And thanks for your consent Kilgore :D I know that finding out that someone else is doing the same entry that you have already submitted can be a little frustrating...

Ah but drgnrbrn316, its easy to make X-Men customs when there are so many X-Men parts available. Thats probably why we're all going for X-Men covers, whereas you made customs I can't work out how.

I had originally thought to do the cover to Dark Knight Returns, but then I saw the thread in the DC forum where everyone blasted it so I didn't expect to get many votes for it.

Donny, I look forward to seeing your rendition.

You know, I just want to say something here.

Thank you.

A contest of this magnitude did worry me, what if no one enters, what if everyone hates it, etc, etc.

The sheer volume of entries so far from long time members AND from lurkers/new comers has made this whole thing worthwhile.

I really appreciate it guys, and I cant wait to see all the entries people are working on. I honestly wish you could all have prizes!

Ah but drgnrbrn316, its easy to make X-Men customs when there are so many X-Men parts available. Thats probably why we're all going for X-Men covers, whereas you made customs I can't work out how.

I had originally thought to do the cover to Dark Knight Returns, but then I saw the thread in the DC forum where everyone blasted it so I didn't expect to get many votes for it.

Yeah, we've had several different takes on some of the core characters from the X-Titles, and I figured we'd be seeing a lot of them in use, which is why I stayed away from doing an X-cover. I knew we hadn't seen many villains in any form as far as official releases go, so I decided to do a villain heavy cover, with the first appearance of the Sinister Six being a top one in my mind. Only problem with touching an old cover is that the background art is far from as dynamic and eye-catching as the modern era.

All that being said, you did a fantastic job capturing the background and the characters, be it through customization and part reuse or just good-ol'-fashioned photo manipulation. However it was achieved, you've created yourself a good piece of gold there, which will definitely be amongst the top spots when everything's said and done.

To anyone out there still on the fence about entering this thing, I still suggest going for it. Sure, we've seen some great covers so far and who knows how many good ones to come, but the contest isn't about who can create the most new figures or acquire the most factory-made figures, its about capturing the true essence and feel of the cover, and a cover with a single character can grab that feel just as easily as a mob of characters climbing all over a building or attacking a single foe. It's a close race so far, but even the most amateur of attempts has as equally good of a chance to win.

I just want to echo what everyone has said so far.

I saw the first few entries posted up and was like "oh shit, these are REALLY good" and I know I have no way of competing with them. But I did want to submit something because I love to be creative in my own little way. I had a lot of fun setting the Minimates up for the cover and I wouldn't have done it if there wasn't a contest, so thank you to Ady and his mysterious backer.

I think the body of work that has been done so far is very impressive and it would make a fine gallery on its own merits.

Can you imagine a coffee-table book with some of these in? It's be awesome!

Anyway, don't get put off by people's entries. Be inspired by them to try it. Go on.

My covefr has nothing to do with Xmen... :rolleyes:

I'm real hopeful this is going to be an annual thing around here it was great fun coming up with it and seeing what other people do these figs aren't real popular it seems in my neck of the woods so this is really a great outlet for a "loner" like myself.

now lets see some more stuff! anyone working on a single panel or splash page?

If we win, we can ONLY choose Non-Variant Marvel packs (or one C3) as a substitute, no PM/IF or Punisher and Battle Damaged Cap right?

Good question DP

"The Others" say Exclusive 2-packs count as "Non-Variant" so they are available for selection.

woops. mixed up variant and exclsive again. thats more incentive for me to try. sadly, ill have to find a digital camera from one of my friends, as I dont have one. Id like to win soooo much. but there's a lot of tough competition.