UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

What went wrong with the SF2 line?

Danny

Nothing in Greenville really sells them anymore. Marvel 4-packs, LotR 4-packs, and DC C3 used to be available in small quantities at TRU, and I could find Marvel Wave 6(?) at my local comic book store. But for the past few months, there's been a whole lot of nothing here in G-ville. Darktide is on shelves of TRU now, and the Ultimate Avengers 2 minimates at TRU and K-Mart, but I've never seen Street Fighter anywhere here, nor have I seen anything mate related at Target/Walmart/etc.

I can't say Street Fighter was doomed by character choices, because they had a wide variety with unique looks and pieces, and it seems to me that colorful variety sells a lot better than plain looking people like Star Trek and LotR. No, what seemingly killed this line (and will kill all others if things don't change) is lack of wide-spread availability and wide-spread awareness. I know TV and print ads are expensive, but as has been said before, you have to spend money to make money. There should be ads for these things on every related website, every related publication, etc. How many people bought Ultimate Avengers because of the mates in Greenville? Me. They're relatively unknown here. What little exposure they've had is lost because I haven't seen any sort of marketing for them, nothing to generate any sort of interest. Had the commercial for Ultimate Avengers had a little blurb at the end about shopping at Toys R Us to get the exclusive Cap or Iron Man, then maybe it would have been different.

I know we're talking about Street Fighter here, and not Marvel or LotR, but the thing is that these things will never sell if they aren't available to a market or are just not known to the consumer.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess people at my comic shop didn't care for the SF2 Minimates or Street Fighter in general. They don't order many SF comics to begin with so to me, there seems like a lack of interest. I've seen the SF Minimates moved around the store and I don't think anyone else has bought any, other than me. Normally, they can go through a case or two of Marvel Minimates, but SF Minimates don't seem to be as lucky.

I expected video game stores to carry these, but I never saw them and that worried me about the line. I think they could have carried the line further.

I'm a die-hard Darkstalkers fan, and it kind of pains me to hear they could have done this line harm. Still, if people know Marvel vs Capcom, which was an INSANELY popular game series for the short while it existed, then they know Morrigan, Felicia, Baby Bonnie Hood and Anakaris.

Regardless, I have to chalk it up to availability, specifically in spots where fans of Street Fighter would be more likely to find them. With Gamestop getting out of toys, the mass market 4 packs might be the last hope for this line at the rate things are going.

I am going to have to go with avalibitly also. When I picked up mine at Game Crazy, I had to ask the sales guy if they had them and he fished them out form the back of a case somewhere that you couldn't even see. He even made a comment to me about how cool these little figures were and that he was going to have to get some for him self.

I agree that Darkstalkers should have been a seperate line. I personally have no interest in Darkstalkers, and I can't help but feel they contributed to the lackluster sales.

I remember the animation show of Darkstalkers on the WB 10 years ago; I was not impressed with the show back then.

Dark Stalkers had nothing to do with this line failing. The lack of availability at retail doomed this line. These should have been in every GameStop or EB in every mall... They weren't.

Well, it's the availability issue... BUT the reason they're not available is because the masses don't know they exist, thus the retailers don't carry them. Don't you think DST would be thrilled to ship miniMates of any flavor to all comers?

Fact is, miniMates are not a household toy yet. Yet. I believe that's why we're seeing mates in DVD boxes, mates associated with cereal or the rumored gas station blind boxes. Once miniMates sell because they're miniMates, not for the line they represent, well, that's the goal.

I don't think you can blame the line-up (which was pretty good, I think). It seems that no one besides us addicts really knew what they were and how to get them.

Everyone knows I'm an insane minimates freak.

If I owned a comic shop and I was presented with the line-up, I would only buy a case for my self and not any extra unless customers pre-ordered. I just don't think they are a seller being StreetFighter. I love Streetfighter, but is doesn't make business sense to me.

The Mass Market packs are set to be released in the upcoming weeks, hope this renews interest in the line and we get series two. How can we not have Guille , Zangief and Blanka?

Edited

So when Chuck says "To be honest these have not done as well as we would have hoped", the response is "If you didn't make them available no-one could buy them"?

Excellent question. My question is, what really is their strategy for distribution?

I'm not so sure DST tries enough, but I cannot say because we don't know how much they do. If it depends on how man orders they receive from lets say Diamond Distributers, I believe they are destined to not sell well imo. Mass Market are the ones that take the bigger risks and if they do, DST sees bigger gains and in turn the product becomes available for the consumer to buy.

But why aren't other Mass market retailers and game shops besides Game Crazy on board?

I'm close to calling shenanigans here. I'm trying to find the press release, but I recall Diamond making a big deal about the SF'mates getting record preorders. All I can find are top sales from march 2006 and top sales from april 2006. Look there - SF mates outperformed Dark Tide!

I am thinking that DST was 'hoping' for more, and these did not live up to THAT. Which is ok. That shouldn't necessarily mean that the line was a failure or that it 'went wrong' - it just means that one set of numbers didn't match up with another.

And for those who are putting the blame on Darkstalkers need to stop. Just because someone here doesn't know the characters/franchise doesn't mean they are not known. In fact, Morrigan is arguably more popular/recognizeable than Chun-Li and Cammy. To base your argument on that is more fanboy-ism than anything else.

The problem is the market. It is in a major decline. The target audience can't even find these beacause EB/GameStop refuse to carry toys. The synergy isn't there. I don't think there was any retail support outside of what Diamond was able to ship. This isn't limited to minimates, but the industry as a whole. SOTA is going the sideshow route and having to sell directly off their site instead of going through retail channels. Heck, something like that would work here.

What 'went wrong' (can you tell I don't care for the title of this thread?) is that sales didn't meet expectations. I bought a case from my FLCS, bought out all the variant from the nearest GameCrazy, bout multiples of the Diamond and AFX variants. I did my part.

I'm close to calling shenanigans here. I'm trying to find the press release, but I recall Diamond making a big deal about the SF'mates getting record preorders. All I can find are top sales from march 2006 and top sales from april 2006. Look there - SF mates outperformed Dark Tide!

I can believe this but does this include Mass Market orders?

I am thinking that DST was 'hoping' for more, and these did not live up to THAT. Which is ok. That shouldn't necessarily mean that the line was a failure or that it 'went wrong' - it just means that one set of numbers didn't match up with another.

I can definitely believe that is what they were thinking.

And for those who are putting the blame on Darkstalkers need to stop. Just because someone here doesn't know the characters/franchise doesn't mean they are not known. In fact, Morrigan is arguably more popular/recognizeable than Chun-Li and Cammy. To base your argument on that is more fanboy-ism than anything else.

Wow really? I don’t think Darkstalkers is all to blame. Think about this, I as a commoner no longer into gaming as much don’t know who the heck is Morgan but do remember Chun-li and and Cammy from my playing days. Darkerstalkers I can vaguely remember from the tail end of my early intense gamming life. Maybe a gammer today will recognize these characters more than one that is out of the gamming genre. Where do these gamers get their stock? Do they collect minimates/collectibles or just give their money for games? I remember growing up that I stop collecting my transformer because I only wanted to buy games and that’s all I had money for. I just think there are a lot of variables that are at play and don’t believe SF minis are dead just yet.

The problem is the market. It is in a major decline. The target audience can't even find these beacause EB/GameStop refuse to carry toys. The synergy isn't there. I don't think there was any retail support outside of what Diamond was able to ship. This isn't limited to minimates, but the industry as a whole. SOTA is going the sideshow route and having to sell directly off their site instead of going through retail channels. Heck, something like that would work here.

I agree. I noticed a couple years back places like gamestop carried toys, but they stayed on the shelf and quickly got on clearance. I was disappointed because gamestops were one of my sources and they no longer carry toys.

What 'went wrong' (can you tell I don't care for the title of this thread?) is that sales didn't meet expectations. I bought a case from my FLCS, bought out all the variant from the nearest GameCrazy, bout multiples of the Diamond and AFX variants. I did my part.

I have a least three of each pack and bought extras for peeps here. What will be wrong is if we don't get Wave 2. :angry: As I said before I really hope the TRU 4 packs brings SF minis back to the forefront. Edited: what's funny is that I would have bought more if I casually found them at mass market stores like I do Marvel.

I can believe this but does this include Mass Market orders?

This is Diamond orders - there is no mass market. Diamond = Direct market (comic shops and the like). Mass market would be whatever is sold to Target or TRU.

Wow really? I don’t think Darkstalkers is all to blame. Think about this, I as a commoner no longer into gaming as much don’t know who the heck is Morgan but do remember Chun-li and and Cammy from my playing days. Darkerstalkers I can vaguely remember from the tail end of my early intense gamming life. Maybe a gammer today will recognize these characters more than one that is out of the gamming genre. Where do these gamers get their stock? Do they collect minimates/collectibles or just give their money for games? I remember growing up that I stop collecting my transformer because I only wanted to buy games and that’s all I had money for. I just think there are a lot of variables that are at play and don’t believe SF minis are dead just yet.

Yes - Morrigan has been Capcom's poster girl off-and-on for the past decade. She's been in all of the 'vs' games, and just look at how much the Japanese put her into gashapon sets. She's everyone's favorite succubus! ;)

I agree. I noticed a couple years back places like gamestop carried toys, but they stayed on the shelf and quickly got on clearance. I was disappointed because gamestops were one of my sources and they no longer carry toys.

Gamestop (which now owns EB) had a change in management and put the edict out. I remember that it was around the time SOTA Street Fighter round 2 came out, because they would only sell by the case, by preorder only. They have refused to put any figures on the pegs since then.

I'm still hoping something comes through. I think I might check with my FLCS and double-check that I was down for a case again. :)

I am not hopeful at this point. AFX pulled Wave 2 from their system. You can't even pre-order them anymore.

But they still have Wave 3 LOTR. Man, if we have a better chance of getting Wave 3 LOTR this can't be good news. AA lost the license to even make Wave 3 LOTR.

EDIT: I stand corrected. You need to go to the STREET FIGHTER portion of the order screen. The SF2 Minimates are linked from there.

• 3 weeks later...
EDIT: I stand corrected. You need to go to the STREET FIGHTER portion of the order screen. The SF2 Minimates are linked from there.

Speaking of visibility: why is the 2nd wave of SF figs the only Minimates that AFX carries that aren't on the Minimates page?

And what is the word on the street about these? Are they going the way of LOTR?

To be honest, I only buy the SF's for the custom fodder factor (that oriental dress would make a really cool Elektra...)

I'll steal their clothes, their faces, their hair...hell I don't even know (or care) what a Street Fighter is (don't shoot me...We don't do Xbox in my house, we do Legos).

That being said, a TRU I stopped by today has 2 different 4-packs of these if anyone needs one.

Unlike DC & Marvel, I don't know the characters, but I could provide a list of names (as to which one in the box is which, I have no idea).

I'm a die-hard Darkstalkers fan, and it kind of pains me to hear they could have done this line harm. Still, if people know Marvel vs Capcom, which was an INSANELY popular game series for the short while it existed, then they know Morrigan, Felicia, Baby Bonnie Hood and Anakaris.

Regardless, I have to chalk it up to availability, specifically in spots where fans of Street Fighter would be more likely to find them. With Gamestop getting out of toys, the mass market 4 packs might be the last hope for this line at the rate things are going.

I've always liked DarkStalkers over Street Fighter but I never saw any but the one pack I bought (Ryu vs. Bison)

with out the Darkstalkers, i woundn't be here. i saw the DS 2pack, got it becasue i had a few LOTR mates and had always liked DS better then SF2, and the rest is history. i think that it wasn't the falut of what cahracters were chosen, rather that the packs didn't seem to show up as much as the marvel mates. IMO, of course.