UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Blackest Night

Nestlé

But some are interesting like Mera/Rage, Lex Luthor/Avarice & Wonder Woman/Love

Not really.

Mera has been an anger ball ever since Arthur Jr. died, even went mad for a time and tried to kill Aquaman herself. Like Guy, this didn't really surprise me.

Avarice covers more than desire for money. For Lex, money, weapons, power, it's all means to assert more and more control over more and more things, people, cities, even worlds. Avarice by most definitions and a brilliant choice.

And Wonder Woman... heh... I could wax eloquent about how love relates to her core character... but really it's just an excuse to put her in a modern Star-cut-down-to-there-Sapphire costume. Not that I'm complaining. :woot:

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Blackest Night #6 came out some time ago.

In it the 7 color characters decide they can't win against Nekron without a LOT more lanterns. Indigo-1 sends her tribe to gather together the different corps. In the meantime, though Ganthet hands out one of each ring to someone on Earth.

That's right, you guessed it, Scarecrow joins the yellow corps.

Most of them are obvious like Atom/Compassion, Barry/Hope

But some are interesting like Mera/Rage, Lex Luthor/Avarice & Wonder Woman/Love

I enjoyed the issue, and it was pretty obvious why they were chosen, also if you hadn't heard of the aftermath issues tilted brightest day?

what are your thoughts of the announcement of the series?

i see it interesting.. but that's it, we need more details on the series!

I do think, as huge as this event is, as high as the stakes seem to be, after the brightest day... what the heck do you do next? Blow up a couple of universes again? How do you follow up every dead character, and every resurrected character trying to destroy all of creation? Where do you go from here?

Miry, I know WHY they chose the 3, I'm just saying that they might not be the most obvious picks out there.

Mera & Lex are among my fav. characters, so I think it's great... Just not the ONLY picks they could have used.

As for Brightest day...

It makes everything seem too happy, right?

Unless white is evil... :ermm:

• 1 month later...

Well, BN7 hit stands yesterday and OMG!!!!!!

I'm not sure I really feel comfortable talking about it here lest spoilers leak out.

Long story short, if you aren't reading Blackest Night... You should be.

We all knew there'd be a white lantern who'd step up and save the day at the end of Blackest Night... But I don't think anyone could've guessed who it is! All I'll say is it's not Hal.

Other than the obvious spoiler, thoughts on the issue?

I've heard some people upset about Trieye being in the big 2 page color lantern spread, since he's, y'know... dead.

I think the book was fairly solid.

We found out what the Guardians big secret was and the pages with Lex were lots of fun.

Gotta say, didn't see that coming. Which after all these years, it's a good thing. It make perfect sense given all the added in backstory they've layered the character with over the last few years, but no didn't see it coming. Good stuff.

We all knew there'd be a white lantern who'd step up and save the day at the end of Blackest Night... But I don't think anyone could've guessed who it is! All I'll say is it's not Hal.

I never would have guessed it to be

Sinestro

. Even in the pages leading up to it, I was so sure that the obvious would happen: Hal gets it and becomes the big damn hero who jumps in and makes the last issue fairly predictable. This, however, adds a more exciting element to it.

The real show stealers in this issue were totally Scarecrow and Lex. They had such great banter and action going on.

• 1 month later...

Well... it's over. And while it was fun, with a few twists here and there, in the end it was fairly predictable. Not saying it wasn't enjoyable. Sadly, not everyone on my wishlist got resurected in the end.

The ending was super predictable and kind of disappointing. I'm hoping Brightest Day might aid in clearing up some of the rushed stuff in the last issue.

I enjoyed Blackest Night but do feel it had a bit too much padding. I'm hoping to write an article on it some time soon but sufficed to say it wasn't quite on par with Sinestro Corps. I also hated how key elements were spoilt (Necron, Red Lantern Guy) and just when you think they learned their lesson (hiding the covers of issues 7 and 8 for example), they STILL managed to spoil, among other things, the fricking White Lantern! As predictable as it may have been, I'd have much rather seen the emblem for the first time when Sinestro bonded with the Life Entity than plastered on promotional material about two months before hand. Yes I know promo material is designed to generate hype and interest but it shouldn't come at the cost of plot elements.

:D i just bought the 8th issue and WOW, i thought it was great. Geoff Johns owns my LCS and ive met him a couple of times, i hope to get him to autograph all my blackest night stuff and my first issue of brightest day which i can wait to read

It was, to say the least, infinitely more enjoyable than it's cheap knock-off X-version: 'Necrosha'. That set new standards for padded tedium, IMO.

YMMV.

didnt now if i should start a new thread so im just going to use this one but i just picked me up brightest day #0 and it was great just great. boston brand is a geat character and now i need to go back and pick up brightest day flash #1

Overall, GH, Blackest Night is a good read. Well worth owning. There are some nice twists and turns along the way, a surprising amount of character development. Is it a little long, with an end you see going? Yes. But for what it is, a giant mega crossover event, it's one of the best in ages.

YMMV

Groundhog, I agree with Miry.

I'm not sure which crossovers you picked up. Personally I would skip Batman, Superman & a couple others, but the story itself was really solid and we got to see the DC reboot that people have wanted for quite some time. Like Miry, I was waiting for 2 Flash Rogues to be rez'd that weren't, but life goes on. :P

I was surprissed how many of the 12 I was indifferent about.

Back to some of the controversy we had a couple months ago:

Looks like our "kill count" wasn't as high as we thought it would be. Sure, a hand full of characters died, but in the end they brought back more people than they killed. :P

Also, most of those who were killed ended up being characters who were just filling the shoes for others who had died :( in the past. Off the top of my head only one character died who is really unreplaceable. :(

For those of you trying to figure out who I'm talking about: They were killed by Jean Loring/Eclipso/Ugly Zombie ex-wife.

The two Rogues I would've liked to see return were 1)The only man to trick the Devil and survuve.

2) Someone killed by Captain Cold in Blackest Night... Which would've made his death pointless, I know... I just thought there was a lot of unused potential there.

I was hoping for the two Barry sadly noticed weren't among the revived. And the founding Titan... and Abner.

I dunno, I guess I feel those 2 need to stay dead. Kinda like Ted. Current DC is built on certain deaths and as great as some of those characters are it would be a step backwards to revive them.

As for the Titan... You're not referring to the one who died in BN, are you? Cause that individual is among my least favorite DC characters.

Finally Abner... The Polkadotman? Cause I agree there. :D