UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Blackest Night

Nestlé

You realize you went from "Not his best writing ever" to "best comic I've read in my life", right?

Anyways, so far I've begun to believe I'm not going to like any of the BN offshoots.

If a person likes it they should stick to BN. If they really like it they should pick up GL & GLC aswell.

The rest is just watering it down for me.

That being said once a month I fall in love with BN again. Issue #3 does not disappoint. While I too won't spoil I found it very interesting when they said:

Damn. My spoiler boxes don't work AGAIN.

Scroll down to see spoiler

That the rings are wearing the bodies of the dead, not the dead wearing the rings. Very cool.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You realize you went from "Not his best writing ever" to "best comic I've read in my life", right?

Anyways, so far I've begun to believe I'm not going to like any of the BN offshoots.

If a person likes it they should stick to BN. If they really like it they should pick up GL & GLC aswell.

That being said once a month I fall in love with BN again. Issue #3 does not disappoint. While I too won't spoil I found it very interesting when they said:

That the rings are wearing the bodies of the dead, not the dead wearing the rings. Very cool.

Yes, but what i meant was, "not Geoff's best writing, but the sotry itself keepes getting better." ;)

And i thought that part (with

Palmer-Atom

) was brilliant. Like where that's going.

Biggest thing i hate from the issue:

More hints to Hal becoming an effing White Lantern. Please Geoff. You mean well, and are a fantastic writer, but this is enough to rival the Parallax-phase. You know, that thing that KILLED the GLC saga??

Yes, but what i meant was, "not Geoff's best writing, but the sotry itself keepes getting better." ;)

And i thought that part (with

Palmer-Atom

) was brilliant. Like where that's going.

Biggest thing i hate from the issue:

More hints to Hal becoming an effing White Lantern. Please Geoff. You mean well, and are a fantastic writer, but this is enough to rival the Parallax-phase. You know, that thing that KILLED the GLC saga??

Thanks for fixing my Spoiler TBT but this just proves that something is very messed up with my profile. I can post spoilers in SOME topics but not in others. Pictures too.

Anyways, I'm pretty sure he won't do that TwoFace. While it seems the obvious solution Geoff came onboard to "fix" GL four years ago. I can't see him dumping everything he's worked for.

• 2 weeks later...

K, i'll post feelings on Titans #2 and GL #46 later. Right now i thought i'd let you all know that DC Direct has gone ahead and changed up their shipping schedule on these puppies. All rings will now be available in November, the same day as the affiliated comic comes out, due to fan complaint that the rings won't be out the same days as the titles. That means:

November 4th - Doom Patrol - Yellow Lantern Ring

November 11th - Booster Gold and REBELS - Orange Lantern Ring and Indigo Ring

November 18th - Adventure Comics and Outsiders - Blue Lantern Ring and Violet Lantern Ring

November 25th - Blackest Night and JLA - Green Lantern Ring and Red Lantern Ring

Not so bad. I get my Indigo Ring A LOT sooner than a would have. It's odd that they'd want Green and Red, two of the most important colors in the Lantern-verse, to be out on the last date...oh well. Of course, i was planning to wear each the week they came out. Looks like now it's one on Thursday and the other Friday. :)

Just thought i'd let those who want these know. Hmm...i wonder if i should just tell my LCS guy to right my name down so he remembers to put a few of each aside (some for friends, others to paint comic-accurately...and a GL to paint in Super-friends style. :lol:) seeing as how i'll be in school...:/

• 2 weeks later...

Aw, double-post. This is sad.

Just wanna let you all know that Geoff just Tweeted that there will be a very special announcement as to why Blackest Night won't have an issue in January TONIGHT.

Better be a damn-good excuse. :P

UPDATE: Ya know, i really wanted to triple post so this would get more attention, but i'll abstain. The BIG news: Only ONE comic will be shipping on the Christmas no-comics week. That book is Blackest Night #6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :woot:

Edited by Twisted Two-Face

Also, january brings in 8 BN one shots. "Resurrections" of cancelled titles. Catwoman, Question, Shazam!, Suicide Squad, Atom & Hawkman, Starman, ect.

It's cool news, but I feel like I've bought into too many BN offshoots already.

I think once the current ones end I'll be reading:

-Flash

-Wonder Woman

-Question

-Suicide Squad

Flash, is written by Geoff, so I know he'll get it right. Question & Wonder Woman are both written by Greg Rucka, who has become one of my fav. writers. Especially since he will be writing "undead checkmate" in WW... And his checkmate is AWESOME!!!!

Lastly Suicide squad because I love Gail Simone's Secret Six, which will be who the undead Suicide Squad pairs off against.

Oh Sweet Christmas, enough is too much!

This is looking more and more like something I simply can't afford to follow all of it. I'm only checking the main book and the GL titles, so if anything truely interesting happens in the side books, feel free to drop some spoilage.

• 1 month later...

So it's been a month since we've touched this thread and quite a bit has happened.

Since my spoiler boxes don't work for some damn reason, this is your warning, I WILL be spoiling things.

First off, people have died.

The shocking part?

They're characters I CARE about.

Hal goes off on an adventure to gather together the heads of each color corps and Atrocitus (A red lantern) has a jaw dropping scene against the Black Lanterns.

Honestly, The Spectre, Firestorm and Tempest are among my most hated characters and I couldn't care less if they bite it.

BN #4, however saw Damage die in such a shocking scene that it caught most readers off guard.

This may have been foreshadowing to what would happen next in GLC... As the Black Lanterns pour done death on the GLs we see Vice (a promenant Red Lantern) die along with possibly Chaselon (The big diamond GL). Kyle grabs Chaselon's internal battery and, together with the Black Lantern horde and the Oa central battery they all blow up.

That's right this month saw Damage and Kyle (both DC characters of the 90s) die. It's kind of hard to buy into Kyle being dead this early in Blackest Night, but it appears to be legit. Despite them killing one of my favorite characters in DC, GLC is REALLY good right now. I'll admit, because there was so much going on this issue I felt like they "monologued" too much. Y'know, how a character says: "Oh no! I brought a cghainsaw to this fight but my opponenet just took it and noiw he's using it on me!!"? Yeah, there are a lot of those in this issue, but it still is really powerful.

If you're not reading all three books (Blackest Night, Green Lantern & Green Lantern Corps)... Well you should be.

They clearly feed into each other extremely well.

If you haven't been picking up Blackest Night so far, no is also a great time to get on board. Geoff Johns has said he needed to use these first four months to build up the story and NOW the sh!t is gonna hit the fan.

Thoughts?

I think the DCU hasn't seen slaughter on this scale since the first Crisis. And the longer it goes, the more I wonder if it's a good thing.

I've considered this myself.

Realistically, however there haven't ACTUALLY been that many deaths... More the APPEARANCE of deaths.

Hawkman & Hawkgirl are probably the most expendable characters in DCU, so they don't count.

Spectre... Well he was already dead, he'll be back.

Firestorm really just lost his girlfriend, no biggy. He can merge with someone else.

Likewise, any GLs or RLs or BLs ect. who die were pretty much INVENTED for this story. I mean, who cares if Chaselon is dead? While he's a great character, we all thought he was dead until the GL reboot recently anyways, right? Same with the Lost Lanterns.

Realistically, the only characters who have DIED in this story are Hawk, Damage, Tempest & Green Lantern.

And really... Who DOESN'T hate Tempest? LOL. Seriously, I think death should be handled carefully in comics, and part of the reason why I HATE Final Crisis is that they didn't do that. You may very well be right Miry... But only time will tell.

I been enjoying all the main bn issues especially 3 and 4, I love how 4 focused on only flash, mera, and atom. GL is really good,sinestro, carol, and hal what a team! not up to speed with GLC, but love it so far. As for the tie-ins, they are alright, but nuthin special, though I can't wait for BN flash. and these rings are so cool! also flash rebirth is awesome, Johns is on top!

SErge, you should really catch up on GLC.

I'm a huge Geoff Johns fan, but leading up to BN I would say Tomasi's stuff in GLC is better than GL.

Okay, back on track:

GL48 & BN5 hit today.

WARNING GL48 is meant to be read BEFORE BN5. There is a disclaimer, but it is a misprint. It reads "This tackes place before BN6."

Onto the spoilerish stuff:

Out color team finally gets together in GL48 and the 7 of them (plus Ganthet & Sayd) head to earth in BN5.

Flash, GL and the others battle the horde of Coast City zombies and unltimatly kill Scar (The evil guardian).

All is in vain, however when Nekron reveals that he is responsible for the resurrections of all the heroes over the years. He kept them from "perma-death" so he could use them now. He then sends out a bunch of new black rings which zombify everyone who's died in the past (Donna Troy, Superman, Wonder Woman, Superboy, Green Arrow, Kid Flash, ect.)

The issue ends with rings flying towards Hal & Barry...

Thoughts?

SErge, you should really catch up on GLC.

I'm a huge Geoff Johns fan, but leading up to BN I would say Tomasi's stuff in GLC is better than GL.

Okay, back on track:

GL48 & BN5 hit today.

WARNING GL48 is meant to be read BEFORE BN5. There is a disclaimer, but it is a misprint. It reads "This tackes place before BN6."

Onto the spoilerish stuff:

Out color team finally gets together in GL48 and the 7 of them (plus Ganthet & Sayd) head to earth in BN5.

Flash, GL and the others battle the horde of Coast City zombies and unltimatly kill Scar (The evil guardian).

All is in vain, however when Nekron reveals that he is responsible for the resurrections of all the heroes over the years. He kept them from "perma-death" so he could use them now. He then sends out a bunch of new black rings which zombify everyone who's died in the past (Donna Troy, Superman, Wonder Woman, Superboy, Green Arrow, Kid Flash, ect.)

The issue ends with rings flying towards Hal & Barry...

Thoughts?

I heard what happen in GLC, and I'm anxious to read!!, today I bought just BN5 and not Gl, and I'm kicking myself in the teeth for not getting, damn budget!, any way BN5 was amazing, Ivan eis has become one of my top 5 artists he's an amazing penciler!, the spreads in the book are just jaw dropping they could easy be posters, I know I would buy it. My favorite is the cover of BN 6, just a beautiful cover that I'm proably gonna hang on my wall!. Back to the story, wallly, bart and barry= win, especially wally wearing his new costume, fresh outta of FR#5. There is one problem I had with the issue was a typo on page 23, where indigo 1 is telling the other lanterns that they must destroy the central battery, and hal asks what they need to do, and she responds but addresses him as sinestro, I was like what the?, its a small thing, but it kinda bothered me for a while.

Only three issues left and boy what a cliffhanger, Next week BN Flash!

• 2 weeks later...

LOL.

That was... Blunt.

Anyways, Kyle has been my fav. Lantern since he showed up on the scene 15 years ago, so I feel your pain.

That said... Did you really not see this coming?

In the foreword to Rebirth it says: "It would've been so easy to kill Kyle."

Since then Kyle has been poorly used... Or not at all.

The Ion comic blew.

I mean, sure, he played a major role in Countdown... But that comic was almost as bad as Final Crisis. :angry:

Since then has pretty much played a "little brother" to Guy.

You ever see any movies? It's always the younger brother who dies.

Kyle is one of my favorite characters in DC, and maybe I'm still in shock, but when he died I was like:

"Huh. So he's dead, eh?" (I'm Canadian).

Sooner or later a writer was gonna stop fighting the urge to kill him and put him out of his misery.

The real question now: Will he stay dead?

I really hate that Kyle was killed. Without Kyle there would be no Corps. WTF DC.

Really that serious about a funnybook, eh? :confused:

like Nestle Kyle was my favorite Green Lantern. I started reading Green Lantern right after Coast City was destroyed. Kyle is the Lantern that got me into the book and Kept me into to it. I'm glad Hal is back and I have really enjoyed Johns run on GL but why make Kyle such a pivotal part of the very existence of the current Corps and kill him. Also like Nestle I have felt like there was a ticking clock on Kyle since Hal has come back. Here is a picture my wife took at Megacon last year. It's me and Ron Marz right after we had a discussion about how Kyle is my favorite Green Lantern.

DSC_0030.jpg

It's not that I'm so serious about the book it's just why now why not when he reignited the battery? Or was possessed by Paralax? The death just feels hollow and meaningless or as Nestle said a movie where the little brother dies.

The real question now: Will he stay dead?

No.

My guess is this is a red herring. They've been hinting the whole time that to beat the Black Corps will take a "White Lantern". The innuendo has been the White Lantern would be Hal. But my guess is that's a red herring too. And I would like to think that DC did not go through all the trouble of correcting the mistake of killing a popular GL just to turn around and kill another one. So I think Kyle just became a likely White Lantern candidate.

And yeah, piggy, that serious about a funnybook. Our ability to invest passion in the trivial is part of the fun of being human. Kinda like an entire message board devoted largely to talking about a single kind of child's plaything.

I too, started reading GL shortly after Coast City bit it, technically I picked up Kyle's first issue. I am not reading BN because I have tired of the super crossovers from all of the companies. I read my one character and that is it. If DC did kill Kyle so frivolously I will be done with them forever. I would stop reading Marvel because of their Spider-man stunt but unfortunately they hold the one character I can not walk away from, Deadpool. If we do not invest ourselves in the things that we read then all we are doing is becoming robots. We can learn what is said but have no use for it. It is the same thing with TV characters. If you do not believe these people are real then there is no real reason to care about what is happening.

• 2 weeks later...

Well the new GLC hit stands yesterday and it's clear that they were trying to make this an emotional issue.

Did they succeed?

I'd say partially.

Guy going red was pretty bada$$. With his red and green combo he cuts through the blacks like butter. Things then get bumped up a notch when Kryb tries to stop him from killing her babies. He literally rips off her arm and shoves it down her throat.

As much as I wanted to see Kyle NOT dead, his return is so happy-go-lucky that it seems more like an episode of Family Matters or the Brady Bunch than a war against death.

This is, of course, is all forgivable by the fact that Mogo has now joined the fight. Hells yeah.

• 5 weeks later...

So Blackest Night #6 came out some time ago.

In it the 7 color characters decide they can't win against Nekron without a LOT more lanterns. Indigo-1 sends her tribe to gather together the different corps. In the meantime, though Ganthet hands out one of each ring to someone on Earth.

That's right, you guessed it, Scarecrow joins the yellow corps.

Most of them are obvious like Atom/Compassion, Barry/Hope

But some are interesting like Mera/Rage, Lex Luthor/Avarice & Wonder Woman/Love