UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Blackest Night

Nestlé

LOL.

I have to admit Miry, I'm surprised by how much you know your comic stuff.

I'm sure no one else here knows Ch'p & Salaak were best buds...

Hopefully no one knows how Ch'p died either. :down:

Anyways, I've been looking into "Tales of Sinestro Corps" since I avoided it (because it was a cash in on a "big event")

An interesting section shows bios on a couple hundred GL characters. Pretty sweet.

I was pleasantly surprised to see Perdoo http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/marvel_d...c/cf/Perdoo.JPG

& El-qa Squa Zreenah http://www.comicvine.com/el-qa-sqa-zreenah...nah/105-264582/

because the bios, in retrospect seem to be on GLs they have been fleshing out over the last 2 years. (And I liked these 2 characters from the 1 story they were in about 15 years back

I was sad, however to not see Anya, Sool or Garl http://media.comicvine.com/uploads/0/9241/...-0003_super.jpg

they are perhaps my favorite GL characters that have never been used past their original story (although you see them in the background of the Infinite Crisis fight with Superboy Prime.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the official Prolouge to Blackest Night came out today, and i for one thought it was very interesting. I wondered how they'd tie Black Hand (and his symbol that Scar steals???) into the story, so that pretty much summed it all up.

Probably some spoilers ahead, so just be careful if you don't wanna know.

The beginning of it was pretty terrifying in itself. Sure, we already knew Hand's backstory, and all the details we didn't particularly want to know about (yea, if you know Will Hand's backstory, you should know what i mean), but that felt like a little much. Did we have to go that far back?? I could have lived with the story in it's entirity without an evaluation of who the man called William Hand is and how he "came to be" Sure, it was probably for the new GL readers who don't know who the hell he is, but it felt rather pointless...and disturbing. The scenes before

Scar making him a Black Lantern "officially"

, though?? that was just wrong. On so many levels. The good, awsome kind of wrong, but wrong nonetheless.

And i enjoyed every minute of it. :lol:

I'm reading these late because Diamond sent LCS's comics all over the place. Luckily this week's were still in the province. Last week's? CXould be anywhere in the country.

Anyways, Great issue. It seems kind of backwards for us to be reading about stuff that already happened (Before BN#0), but still solid. I'll admit some things were new to me, so all in all a great issue of Green Lantern that didn't, y'know HAVE Green Lantern in it. Wow. How many comics have that?

Anyways, it's a busy month for BN, so I'll save my words for the other 1/2 dozen comics. ;)

I just read the Blackest Night prologue as well and have a question. Who do you suppose the disembodied "black voice bubbles" that Scar was talking to belong to? Antimonitor perhaps? Anybody care to speculate?

Well, we're supposed to believe at this point that they are death.

Who is it actually?

No idea. I thought about the antimonitor, but Black Hand is using him (ripped him apart for the black battery).

I can't think of anyone else though that might fit the bill.

For right now I guess I'm going to ride along with it being Death. :(

I am afraid I only have one thing to say... BWAAH HA HA HA HA HA!

I'm sorry. I shouldn't find the deaths in this book so funny, but I do.

Guess we can call all that work they put into restoring the Hawks a fail. Shame, I certainly liked this Carter more than the Hawkworld Kartar, but not as much as the pre-crisis Hawks. And therein probably lies the problem.

Better luck next time. It would have been perfect if

Aquaman

had been the one to kill them, just for irony's sake.

Aquaman being the only DC guy who's had as many, if not more, series canceled, rebooted, and retooled more than Hawkman.

Still an enjoyable start.

My spoiler boxes aren't working, soi there's a lot I'm not going to say, but it's off to a great start.

I loved what Scar did. LOL.

(And of course the last scene was phenomenal.)

Anyways, is anyone else reading Tales of the Corps?

I picked up #1 with BN yesterday and so far nothing special. I'll keep you guys up to date in case your considering it.

It ran 3 stories:

#1 The origin story of Saint Walker

#2 Mongul as a kid

#3 Our first look at the Indigo tribe

Honestly, the first one was kind of boring. Despite really liking Saint Walker his story is passable. The second story was kind of cute/fun but hardly necessary by any means. The thrid story? It definetly had me interested. I did a double take as Compassion seems to work "differently" than I pictured. Very mysterious. Is it worth spending $4 to read a 8 page story in which no one speaks english? No. But something definelty might come of it. I have a feeling Geoff is going to have the Indigos in every issue to develop them. I'll let you know if they get any better.

y'know, for a long time Green Lantern has been of my fav 2/3 superheroes... when i first heard about the whole new spectrum of lanterns, war of light, etc. I was v.v.sceptical. Some part of me felt it almost devalued the Green Lanterns, having always been this awesome, unique force.

last week i got hold of Sinestro Corps war vol.2 and BN#1... i'm sold. What Johns is doing with GL is some of the best stuff i've ever read; action-packed, emotional, and quite frankly... its believable. Enough of the existing mythos has been incorporated... this stuff is timeless.

tomorrow... i shall skip into to town to get GL#43 + 44, as well as the Secret Origin paperback.

Boba, Secret Origin is a great rewrite of the origin story! Do it!

Seriously though, it's expensive to even consider, but if you really want to get every thing you can out of BN you should pick up the stuff that's happened since Sinestro War. Otherwise, characters like LArFleeze, Atrocitus &Saint Walker will have no emotional side to them.

Anyways, picked up Tales of the Corps #2 today and here's the run down:

#1 Origin of Bleez

#2 Origin (kinda) of Carol Ferris

#3 Origin of Giant Orange Mouth

First, and most obvious: This blows my theory out of the water that we'd see more Indigo in these books. Lame.

Story 1, however was great! BLeez is a great character and I'm glad they decided to flesh her out. Story 2... C'mon, seriously? Why would they BOTHER printing a Carol Ferris origin story. If you're buying TotC you must be a GL fan. If you know GL you know Carol. They DID show however a chunk of prophecy in there that had Green and Yellow fighting against Red and Orange... Interesting...

Story 3? Sucked.

Once again: 1 Good story, 1 Unneccessary story & 1 lame story.

Boba, Secret Origin is a great rewrite of the origin story! Do it!

Seriously though, it's expensive to even consider, but if you really want to get every thing you can out of BN you should pick up the stuff that's happened since Sinestro War. Otherwise, characters like LArFleeze, Atrocitus &Saint Walker will have no emotional side to them.

cheers Nestle

turns out they were sold out of SO, so I got No Fear instead. The more i'm reading of all thats going on, i'm wanting to read more, and v.much plan on working my way through the 'reader's guide' on the DC site. I've also had a good look at the BN checklist, and will definately be getting BN:Batman... The cover for #2 seems to have the batfamily as Ghostbusters!

off to read my new purchases... good night *insert relevant pun here*

Serge, you better hurry!

If you're still on Sinestro War you still have to read:

GLC Ring Quest

GL Secret Origin

GLC Sins of Star Sapphires

GL Rage of Red Lanterns

GL Agent Orange

GLC Emerald Eclipse

:P

Hey boba, here's a list I made for Serge a little while ago about stories since SinestroCW.

Picked up Tales of the Corps #3 today.

#1 Kilowog's origin story

#2 Arisia's origin story

#3 Commentary on BN#0

I'm not sure where I stand on this series all said and done. Story #1 is mostly BS and not within the context with what we know of the old corps from Secret Origins. That being said, the art in #2 was great and it was nice to hear from Geoff in #3. One thing they mentioned is that because of all the things "the big 3" are dealing with in comics, Barry (Flash) & Hal (GL) are the glue holding DC together. Interesting. Also interesting that Geoff is writing both books? LOL.

Anyways, looking back it's not the worst $12 you could spend. It's not gospel, but go ahead, splurge. You just might enjoy it. ;)

I am ready for the War of Light. I got bored not too long ago and starting making this.

post-955-1249095742_thumb.jpg

post-955-1249095834_thumb.jpg

It's made of a piece of PVC pipe, sculpty, and a cheap GL ring I got at a con back in the day. What do you guys think? I still need to do another pass with paint and seal it but I really dig it.

• 2 weeks later...

So BN#2 hit shelves yesterday.

While it doesn't have the shocking moments that rocked issue #2 :(, there are still some great moments in it.

Unfortunatly my spoiler boxes don't seem to work.

Anyways, it's still wortht the read. Two of my least favorite heroes join the legions of dead and Geoff continues the ball rolling towards awesomeness.

I also picked up GLC #39. I wish I could tell you exciting things that happened, but same deal as the last issue GL. It seems like a completely unnecessary issue. It DOES however explain why the relationship between Kyle & Soranik Natu seems so forced. Very cool... And kinda sad.

Anyways, I'm sure the coming issues of GL & GLC will become more and more important as it moves away from the BN comic, but currently they just seem to go more indepth on what you've already read.

I liked BN 2 it was a nice slowing of the frantic feeling of the first one. The Batman BN comic was pretty good.

I really wanted to check out BN:batman, but my budget is killing me!!

I found Bn2 entertaining, not as much as the first one, but good nonetheless, I found it funny how

Deadman is now aliveish/deadish,...he is something but not dead I think...well he is black lantern deadman now!

I really wanted to check out GlC, but as Nestlé, I really didn't miss anything.

I liked BN 2 it was a nice slowing of the frantic feeling of the first one. The Batman BN comic was pretty good.

I found Bn2 entertaining, not as much as the first one, but good nonetheless, I found it funny how

Deadman is now aliveish/deadish,...he is something but not dead I think...well he is black lantern deadman now!

Technically,

his body is the Black Lantern. His spirit is still Deadman...i think...damn, this is getting confusing!!

I was able to read BN #2 and GLC, but not Batman yet. I definitely liked the slower pace in this BN, and the whole

Aquaman

plot was incredible. It was enough to rival MM's in my opinion.

The one thing i'm hating is the Corps' reaction to the Black rings. Um, really; i get that they've seen 6 other Corps already, but you figure new Black rings that no one except Scar has any knowledge of, COMBINED with all those

dead GLs

, would call for a few "WTF is going on?!?!?!?"s. This whole calm, collected "okay, let's kick some ass" attitude they all have is just annoying...IMO, that is.

If you like the Deadman story you definatly need to read BN: Batman