UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

360 Natal VS PS3 Motion

Nestlé

Drgn, I've got links to them showing the tech on a post on the first page.

I DO agree with you though. IF Microsoft can make it work (And that's a big IF) hands down, they've got my vote.

Sony's seems like a strong next step from what Wii has done and it looks good.

I think both of them have a very strong showing.

Just watched those videos, and...well, to be honest, I wasn't as impressed.

First, when the guy was showing how you can move your avatar around, the avatar on screen kept moving around on its own. Like, the guy would have his back to the camera or whatever and the upper torso of his avatar would twist around impossibly. And that's just him up there by himself. How is it going to respond when there are other people around?

Next, the girl hitting balls around looked more like she was just flailing about. They didn't give a good side by side comparison to her movements versus what was on screen.

Then, the paint party thing. Sony showed a product where you could draw, paint, write, etc. Microsoft showed us something where you are hurling paint buckets at a wall. Not as impressive. And when the guy brought the girl back out to help do his elephant thing, she flickered on and off the screen a few times while getting into position.

As for the Milo thing, he's still just a program and hopefully only limited to his programming. If he's allowed to learn and evolve, then humanity is doomed. Kidding aside, the woman's hand movement wasn't quite timed the same as the water movement, and they didn't show what her drawing looked like on the screen. How do we know it was scanned and not just drawn from her vocal description? (Oh, and it was another commercial and not a floor demo)

Again, if Microsoft can get the product to work half as well as they say it will, then it will be great. But what they actually showed looks to be in the early stages of what they are advertising.

Oh, and I could have done without the commentary from the audience in those videos, but us poor saps who aren't there have to take what we can get. :)

Edited by drgnrbrn316

Yeah, it's a shame you don't get to see the finished product on the elephant too. I saw it live, and it actually looked pretty good in the end.

The other thing to consider is what Natal can do with plain XBL. Microsoft also announced that this fall they would be adding radio, television, facebook & twitter to XBL. Add that to the fact that XBL is currently the largest online video rental store and you have something out of Back to future 2.

Imagine, you get home from work and it recognizes your face and logs you in as you come in the door. "Play 98.9 FM" and it recognizes your voice so the radio comes on. "Turn on channel 48."

"Open my facebook and send a the following message to..."

:wacko: If Microsoft isn't bull$hitting us... The future could be now. (Or whenever Natal lands).

I still want to see it work in those unideal settings before I cast any sort of judgment. I've only seen it work on a big empty stage or a nice spacious living room (in a staged commercial). And I've only seen the voice recognition software work with the aid of a microphone or again in a quiet (staged) setting.

I'm not knocking Microsoft, either. I just don't buy into hype without results.

I still want to see it work in those unideal settings before I cast any sort of judgment. I've only seen it work on a big empty stage or a nice spacious living room (in a staged commercial). And I've only seen the voice recognition software work with the aid of a microphone or again in a quiet (staged) setting.

I'm not knocking Microsoft, either. I just don't buy into hype without results.

I smell a sony fanboy who is not going to admit MSN might have just come up with something better than sony has!! ;)

Despite my comment above I am also sceptical, however the thing is still in development and all reports so far from people that have tried it are looking positive. Also I really like Nestles take on how it could be used, even if were to do what he is proposing then it would be worth it for that alone.

T.

I smell a sony fanboy who is not going to admit MSN might have just come up with something better than sony has!! ;)

Despite my comment above I am also sceptical, however the thing is still in development and all reports so far from people that have tried it are looking positive. Also I really like Nestles take on how it could be used, even if were to do what he is proposing then it would be worth it for that alone.

T.

I'll admit that I prefer Sony to MS, and I admit that their idea is far more outside the box compared to Sony's answer to the Wii. I just don't hold a lot of stock in something I cannot see for myself.

I don't think the idea will work the way everyone is picturing it. We can't even get automated telephone operators to understand what we're saying, yet this thing is supposed to be able to identify me and know what I want? My own parents can't distinguish between my brother and myself on the phone, so I doubt Microsoft has come up with a magic way to do that.

And you can't tell me that thing isn't going to be expensive. We aren't talking a sensor that distinguishes movement based on a little light on a stick. We're talking a series of sensors, cameras, and microphones that have to be sensitive and smart enough to distinguish between numerous input sources. If MS can't put out a cheap operating system, I don't see them developing the type of software necessary to make all that work and having it go at an inexpensive price.

Truth be told, I don't want any of the motion controls that any of the consoles are bringing to the table. I play video games to relax after work. I don't want my games to become work by having to run around, jump, punch, and all that crap. If I wanted to do any of that stuff, I'd go outside. This whole motion control thing is a fad market. Nintendo is starting to see the first signs of a downturn as the novelty is wearing off on people. How long before MS and Sony see the same thing when people start to sit back down on the couch?

I'm going to remain skeptical aswell, but I don't think this is that different from when Sony showed what Killzone2 "could" look like several years ago at E3. It actually ended up being pretty close...