UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

I found something that pleases me

TM2 Dinobot

I found a blog on UK Marvel comics. This pleases me because 80's/90's UK comics are sometimes hard to come by here in Houston. Flea Markets are the best bet, but they aren't great for finding that on issue. But anyways, I found this blog... Great stuff! one thing in particular makes me giddy. http://itcamefromdarkmoor.blogspot.com/200...ate-cameos.html Necker's back! That's right, Dr Evelyn Necker is making a resurgence in main stream comics of all things. I mean she's not playing with the Avengers or anything, but still. I'm so happy! Maybe we'll get a Minimate of her sooner or later. Oh I can only hope. (What fun is it without Death's Head and Minion, but beggars can't be choosers and all that. :/ )

Never got into Marvel UK much. Always found the stuff a little jokey and aimed at say a younger audience. At the time I would have been 18ish so my reading was more 2000AD, Crisis, Toxic. The only M'UK I did read was Dragon Claws which I collected the whole short series.

Never got into Marvel UK much. Always found the stuff a little jokey and aimed at say a younger audience. At the time I would have been 18ish so my reading was more 2000AD, Crisis, Toxic. The only M'UK I did read was Dragon Claws which I collected the whole short series.

11th February 1967 was the date that the first proper Marvel comic was released in the UK. There had been bits & pieces of Spidey & FF elsewhere in other comics but the new comic, titled 'Fantastic' featured Thor,IM & the X-Men & was exclusively Marvel & were B&W reprints of the US comics. Being 12 years old & having managed to read 'proper' US Marvels before...... these were the dogsbollocks . Unfortunately about 2 years later it & it's sister comic 'Terrific' had ceased publication :( .......I was gutted .........

.......until 1972 ,when you were 2 years old Minifiend & Liverpool * had won the Football League & another Marvel comic came on the scene. It was again B&W reprints but this time featured Hulk,FF & Spidey .....I was like a pig in shit.....truly life was great. Over the next few years I/we got to read many other titles featuring .....everybody ....& then we got our own hero .......

...Captain Britain in 1976.... which was genuinely unbelievable ,a British 'American' comic character in his own comic :ohmy:

1976 was a great year for many reasons .... my team Southampton won the FA Cup beating the mighty Manchester United & I fell in love for the first time & no......that wasn't with Captain Britain although he came a very close second :lol:

Apart from a couple of titles .......notably Captain Britain & The Titans which I have given to my current comic pimp............. I still have every single issue of just about everything printed during the 70's ...plus all the Fantastics & Terrifics .

*Perhaps you're an Everton fan Minifiend but they had a great team then (late 60's/early 1970s) as well. Good Luck to Everton this afternoon in the FA Cup Final......& Aaron "I hope Chelsea lose" :D

Edited by buttheadsmate

11th February 1967 was the date that the first proper Marvel comic was released in the UK. There had been bits & pieces of Spidey & FF elsewhere in other comics but the new comic, titled 'Fantastic' featured Thor,IM & the X-Men & was exclusively Marvel & were B&W reprints of the US comics. Being 12 years old & having managed to read 'proper' US Marvels before...... these were the dogsbollocks . Unfortunately about 2 years later it & it's sister comic 'Terrific' had ceased publication :( .......I was gutted .........

.......until 1972 ,when you were 2 years old Minifiend & Liverpool * had won the Football League & another Marvel comic came on the scene. It was again B&W reprints but this time featured Hulk,FF & Spidey .....I was like a pig in shit.....truly life was great. Over the next few years I/we got to read many other titles featuring .....everybody ....& then we got our own hero .......

...Captain Britain in 1976.... which was genuinely unbelievable ,a British 'American' comic character in his own comic :ohmy:

1976 was a great year for many reasons .... my team Southampton won the FA Cup beating the mighty Manchester United & I fell in love for the first time & no......that wasn't with Captain Britain although he came a very close second :lol:

Apart from a couple of titles .......notably Captain Britain & The Titans which I have given to my current comic pimp............. I still have every single issue of just about everything printed during the 70's ...plus all the Fantastics & Terrifics .

*Perhaps you're an Everton fan Minifiend but they had a great team then (late 60's/early 1970s) as well. Good Luck to Everton this afternoon in the FA Cup Final......& Aaron "I hope Chelsea lose" :D

I was reading Marvel when I was much younger back in the 70's I can remember reading the B&W Titan comics (the ones that where printed in a weird oblong fashion) My father worked on the docks back then and he would trade with the sailors to get "Proper" American comics.

I was reading Marvel when I was much younger back in the 70's I can remember reading the B&W Titan comics (the ones that where printed in a weird oblong fashion) My father worked on the docks back then and he would trade with the sailors to get "Proper" American comics.

The Titans ! They were weird.. the 'landscape' format with the 2 pages from the US comics shrunk down to fit on one page....very hard to read but plenty to read. Your father obviously worked in the Liverpool docks which is significant/coincidental/ironic because the only place in the whole of Southampton which actually stocked US Marvels ....actually heaved with US Marvels..... was just outside Dock Gate 4 ,Southampton .