UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Large Characters as Banks?

elhonez

Looking at the (presumably) rotocast Ghostbusters banks -- Slimer and Sta-Puft -- made me think of a possible angle to get more MAX-sized Minimates, but at a more reasonable price point. My questions, for those of you who may be in the know:

The original MAX statues were cast in resin and as such were pretty pricey. But they skirted the license limitation of two inches by making them non-poseable. Are materials part of the license as well? Meaning, they weren't cast in plastic because they couldn't be?

I'm just thinking that, say, a Fin Fang Foom plastic "bank" in the Minimate style could probably retail for a much more affordable price than 80 bucks. I would SO drop 20-30 for a Fin Fang, Goliath, or Ultimo.

And then I'd fill them with change to support my Minimate addiction... :)

I imagine DST can make Ghostbusters banks due to a term in the license.

I have no details in the Marvel license, but I understand there's some pretty strict points to it. DST cannot do Marvel minis larger than 2" due to restrictions in the Minimate license. Technically, the Maximates were statues and not Minimates, which allowed them to skirt the 2" rule, but since they fell under a license for making statues, they had their own rules to adhere to: no moving parts, and they were cast in resin. If DST has or can acquire a license to do banks, then I suppose they could make Minimate shaped ones, so long as it fit the terms of the license.

I do agree that a $30 Maximate will sell far better than an $85 one, but there are still those who will be turned off by a non-articulate Minimate.

I have no details in the Marvel license, but I understand there's some pretty strict points to it.

Wasn't there something said by the DST/AA crew around Toyfair or NYCC about Goblin Gliders not being as impossible as it once was?

Maybe, just maybe, the license restrictions aren't as strict as they once were?

Here's to hopin'.

What if you could possibly make a minimate carrying case, wiith a limited time mini inside. You could have this at big chain stores.

Only problem is how to hide the hinges.

Don't forget a Frost Giant-- I except Thor merchandise to real popular in the next two years.

Edited by ramseesthegreat1

I don't much want movie versions. I want comic versions.

Nothing would beat a set of Thor villains and allies in the Kirby Style.

Agreed. Plus, Ymir the Frost Giant was recently in the FCBD issue of Avengers, so he is much more well-known than he used to be. He would make a great 8" minimate.

I don't much want movie versions. I want comic versions.

Nothing would beat a set of Thor villains and allies in the Kirby Style.

Agreed. Plus, Ymir the Frost Giant was recently in the FCBD issue of Avengers, so he is much more well-known than he used to be. He would make a great 8" minimate.

Seconded! Besides, the big and scary gods can look REALLY powerful, not to mention awesome! Gods like Hela maybe, and yeah Ymir would look great :)

I like this idea. army building sentinels would be easier and we could get more obscure characters like ultimo as a bank, or awesome android as a carrying case or something with an exclusive mad thinker! Or, and hear me out, we could have a tin minimate case of Kang, with an exclusive kang mate in it!!!!

Then scrap the bank idea. Take out the coin slot and call them "urban" collectibles of some kind (though clearly not statues). Seems like that label applies to anything with exaggerated features on it.

The first issue with the Maximates not being so hot was that they couldn't move.

But when I read they were resin and could break, that'd sealed the deal for me not buying 'em.

Even if the "banks" or "urban collectibles" or whatever they wanted to call them had movable arms and were made outta plastic, that'd be okay. I mean, sure, full articulation would be much better... but I'd take a slightly immobile Ymir or Surtur over none any day.

The first issue with the Maximates not being so hot was that they couldn't move.

But when I read they were resin and could break, that'd sealed the deal for me not buying 'em.

Even if the "banks" or "urban collectibles" or whatever they wanted to call them had movable arms and were made outta plastic, that'd be okay. I mean, sure, full articulation would be much better... but I'd take a slightly immobile Ymir or Surtur over none any day.

I think the problem may be that Hasbro prob has the Marvel "urban collectible" license with Muggs. Also, every scale of "poseable action figure" conceivable above 2". So something immobile is the best we could hope for.

I'm speculating that DST/AA wanted to do a big Sta-Puft for the MiniMates, but since Mattel has the license for action figures, rotocast banks were the closest thing they could get a license for. Immobile, but good for dioramas and better than nothing.

Again, this is all speculation on my part. And knowing large-scale poseable 'mates are off-limits, I thought I'd start this topic to discuss if folks might be receptive of something as immobile as MAX, but a potentially cheaper way to get around the licensing constraints [i.e. rotocast plastic instead of resin].

However, as mentioned in another post, it's likely that someone already has the license for Marvel banks.