UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

XBox 360 RROD

Shanester

Yep, my sons machine started flashing the "red ring of death". A three section ring, to be specific. I have already gotten my packing box from Microsoft and shipped yesterday. Anyone know how long the process usually takes?

I had to send mine to Germany and got it back in about 2 weeks, so yeah a month seems long to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Arrrggghhh!!! The RROD hit my second 360 Pro this afternoon <_< Of course, I did box it up and return it to Costco. I'm planning on picking up the elite this next go round, since everytime I've picked up the Pro, they've let me down. Of course now I have to get COD4 again and replay some of my games, but if that's the worse I have to worry about I'm doing ok. Anyone heard if Microsoft is coming out with anything new and improved on the 360? If so, let me know and maybe I'll wait until it shows up to replace my console :thumbsup:

Speaking of the rrod a buddy from work had this happen to his 360 and apparently he found a vid on youtube with instuctions on how you can fix it yourself. This is especially helpful in cases where warranties have run out.

Edited by wallbreaker2.0

This is especially helpful in cases where warranties have run out.

I think that Microsoft are complete douches if they don't continue to fix any RROD issue at any point. It is a production flaw, which they should make right on whenever it happens. I actually paid for a 2 year warranty for mine before they instituted the "automatic" 1 year warranty or whatever, but thought they should have refunded me when it turned out that the RROD is like cancer--everybody gets it if their system "lives" long enough.

Well, this was my 1st RROD. The first 360 just crashed for whatever reason. What's weird is that apparently the Elite doesn't have this issue, can anyone verify that?

I've never owned a 360, and don't really intend to (1, its Microsoft, and 2, any company that knowingly ships a console where over 90% of its product fails to work off of the assembly line doesn't deserve my dollar), but I thought they had resolved all of this by now?

Wasn't the original RROD stemming from the system overheating and warping the boards from where they crammed too much stuff into the case that was designed to hold significantly less? I'd have figured some sort of additonal cooling fan or a couple hundred more holes drilled into the box would solve the problem.

Most of the original problems have been resolved, buit to answer your question, no. RR still happen.

While I plan to EVENTUALLY pick up a PS3 the sad truth is that if you want to play really good games you need to risk the RROD... AT least for another 6 months until Sony has it's game base more diversified.

And the cooling fans actually make the problem worse.

Just FYI, my wanrranty was out. I got my Xbox back on Friday (3/27) and it is working great, no charge.

It was past the automatic one year extended warranty, and they still didn't charge you? That was really fast, getting it back in less than 2 weeks. I guess they are more efficient now at handling these things, since they have done so much of it.

Edited by karamazov80

Just FYI, my wanrranty was out. I got my Xbox back on Friday (3/27) and it is working great, no charge.

It was past the automatic one year extended warranty, and they still didn't charge you? That was really fast, getting it back in less than 2 weeks. I guess they are more efficient now at handling these things, since they have done so much of it.

Looking up my serial number, it stated that my warranty had expired. I opted to do the repairs anyway, but was not charged for serives.

I am quite happy with the speedy service.

Now one of my controllers is dead. Figures...

I'll add it to my "wants" list in the flea market. :angry:

Is the battery just dead on it? One of mine had the battery run down to where it wouldn't hold a charge, but it still worked fine when plugged in.

While I'm not familiar with the problems you guys are having, I can tell you from experience that the easiest way to get inside a gaming controller is to spike it off the floor. You'll be wanting to hit with either the left or right grip first, as the kenetic energy involved in a single point of impact rips the casing wide open. I've dismantled a PS1 controller in less than 2 seconds, so its a proven method.

Putting it back together, though, is a problem you'll need someone else to address.

Let me add to Drgn's post, that another highly effective method is "spiking" the controller off of a friend's head, who may or may not have been cheating at Madden football.

Ummm... Before I try "spiking" :ermm: I think I might call XBox. They've been really good to me in the past and have given me A LOT of free stuff over the years. I'll let you know how that goes.

Here comes the spike!

I talked to Xbox and they informed me that as long as you have an XBox under warranty they will replace controllers free of charge. Sadly the last of my xbox warranties ran out last month. :rolleyes:

My mistake since this controller stopped working months ago. :confused:

Is this the regular or wireless controllers? Since I've been sick, haven't had the energy to run around and replace my 360 with an elite. I have a couple of places I want to check out their bundles and see if I can get a sweet deal. If anyone has any suggestions, speak now or forever hold your peace :biggrin: