UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

AA Speaks: Best Minimates of 2008?!

Well, i was checking the AA site to see if there was a BSG explanation yet (yeah, right) an i happened upon the "Best Toys of '08" I didn't see Minimates at first, but further down, they have they're own section!! How sweet!! Here's the article:

Top 5 Minimate Releases

1. Marvel Series 2: Iron Man Movie - Two words. Removable. Armor. Ok, three more words. Best. Minimates. Ever!

2. Avengers #1 Box Set - I don’t think I can find enough good things to say about this set. Sure I wish we could have included Thor in there for a “real” Avengers #1 set, but this gets us two all-new founding Avengers, a Kirby Hulk and an important version of Iron Man - plus TONS of new pieces for a variety of costumed looks. My current configuration? De-armored Tony Stark, Ant-Man and Modern Wasp (sniffle, hope to see you soon Janet!).

3. BSG Razor Single Pack Asst - This is the set that delivered amazing new retro Cylon sculpts AND a dead Six - ’nuff said!

4. Marvel Series 19 & 20 - I have a special place in my heart for these series of Minimates. I was fortunate enough to have quite a bit of input into both lineups due to DSTChuck’s back requiring surgery and an extended break from the office. I pushed as hard as I could to get as many X-Men included as possible while still representing the Avengers and Spider-Man, but never in a million years did I think I’d be able to add Havok, Polaris, Angel, Archangel, Apocalypse AND Ms Marvel on the list! If you’re curious, Ms Marvel = X-Men because of the whole Rogue/coma/”oops I stole your powers” thing.

5. BSG Series 4 - Laura Roslin, Tom Zarek, a two-legged Felix Gaeta, an undead Cally Tyrol, Lab Baltar, Head Baltar and the cantankerous Doc Cottle all in one series? I must be dreaming!

Not bad at all!! And BSG made the list TWICE. That is a very good sign, in my opinion. ;)

EDIT: Also, they had the best three exclusives of '08 a little ways down, which i missed. :P

2. Civil War Minimates Box Set (Action Figure Xpress) - We really pushed the envelope with this set by including so many extra pieces but I think it’s pretty clear that peopled loved this set for that very reason. I’m still managing my Marvel Comics addiction so it should be no surprise to anyone that Civil War remains one of my favorite comic book storylines (even if the ending did kind of suck).

3. Invaders Minimates Box Set (San Diego Comic Con) - Another Marvel Minimates pick, big shocker! The multi-generational aspect of the Invaders really appeals to me because it’s one of the few times a team is tied to one particular time period. The X-Men and Avengers have gone through so many changes over the years that it’s kind of hard to keep track, but the Invaders don’t really have to worry about that. They’re a World War II Nazi-fighting team and they don’t stray from their wheelhouse.

Edited by Twisted Two-Face

Yeah, I saw that - considering how highly they spoke of BSG Wave 4 & the Razor packs, that they couldn't do something to end the line on a positive note and wrap up the loose ends (I thought a lot of those sculpts were as nice as wave 4)

It's nice to see that so many 'mate lines rated, though the Iron Man movie line, especially with the candy-apple red paint, would have been worth a mention

As far as the action figure part of the list: I also picked up the 7" TRU Cylon a couple of weeks ago - which is really a nice piece of work, given all the articulation and parts.

Is anyone amused by the fact this is a fluff piece by DST for DST and you guys are debating the merits of top 5 positions :)

T.

I don't think any of us have any illusions that this is anything but DST blowing their horns -

However, given the vast list of releases, it's still interesting to discuss the things they "chose" in relation to our own observations & preferences... as well as the fact that they seem to be broadcasting slightly conflicting messages.

Is anyone amused by the fact this is a fluff piece by DST for DST and you guys are debating the merits of top 5 positions :)

T.

I did chuckle as I was reading this.... :lol: I mean, would it have really been THAT hard to throw together a simple fan poll and let oh, I dunno the actual consumers pick? :blink: wow.....