UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

OT - Home Theater

neolego

Ok, a few months ago I bought an Onkyo home theater. I love the quality so far but I'm having trouble with mainly movies getting the dialogue loud enough. The Surround is great and the Bass is kicking, but a lot of times (especially in big action scenes) I have to turn it super loud just to hear what is being said......and my wife is not a fan of this :D.

Anyway, I've turned the audio from my TV off completely and just run the Receiver. It's 5.1 so two front surrond, two back surround, and a center. I know there are ways to adjust the levels but does anyone know if the talking comes from the Two front speakers or the center or where?!?!? neo

Dialogue usually comes from the center speaker. I'd recommend increasing the volume of the center. Ideally (for surround sound listening) the volume should be equal across all speakers, and all speakers should be about the same size. However, individual room acoustics can throw that out the window. Are your L and R speakers significantly larger than your center?

Ok, a few months ago I bought an Onkyo home theater. I love the quality so far but I'm having trouble with mainly movies getting the dialogue loud enough. The Surround is great and the Bass is kicking, but a lot of times (especially in big action scenes) I have to turn it super loud just to hear what is being said......and my wife is not a fan of this :D.

Anyway, I've turned the audio from my TV off completely and just run the Receiver. It's 5.1 so two front surrond, two back surround, and a center. I know there are ways to adjust the levels but does anyone know if the talking comes from the Two front speakers or the center or where?!?!? neo

Generally in a monologue the talking comes from the centre speaker. I have had problems with my centre speaker much like your own & you may find that positioning the speaker differently may help. I am by no means an expert but I love my 'Surround' when watching DVDs . Are you listening in 5.1 or DTS ,this may also affect your listening quality?

Edited by buttheadsmate

Not sure about DTS, I'll have to check. What should I be listening to?

Also, all the speakers are the same size. I have the three front ones kinda close together. The L and R and at the ends of my Entertainment center, while my Center speaker is just under my TV.

I have a 5.1 Onkyo surround also. I've had it for about 2 years now and when I set it up, I thouroughly read the manual, but I don't remember what all the settings do. I don't have any trouble with hearing voice at all though, through any of my sources. My TV is basicaly being used as a monitor, with only a video cable connected to it from the receiver. I have a digital optical cable connecting my Sony DVD, and a digital coax and basic L/R audio cables connecting my cable box to the receiver as well. The type of surround used automatically changes depending on the source, so when I put the DVD player on, the receiver switches to Dolby Digital Pro Logic II. My system has all small speakers too. If you want I can list all my settings for the receiver, I know each set up will be different depending on room size and location of furniture etc, but it might help you out a little. You may also want to see how your DVD player is set up, you may need to change it's settings as well.

BS

Not sure about DTS, I'll have to check. What should I be listening to?

Also, all the speakers are the same size. I have the three front ones kinda close together. The L and R and at the ends of my Entertainment center, while my Center speaker is just under my TV.

It's difficult to go through this without becoming either patronising or 'geeky'. A specific DVD may in its menu provide 2.1,5.1,7.1 & perhaps Digital Theatre Surround ,THX & other sound tracks. Most DVDs however will offer you stereo or 5 plus sub-woofer (5.1) so when you set the specific DVD up check that your amp is correspondingly set up.

You probably know all that but I was caught out recently with the BSG Razor DVD which kept defaulting to stereo rather than 5.1 .....so check ,once your engossed in a DVD series you tend to notice about 10 minutes in :)

Most importantly you mention where your centre speaker is UNDER the TV :no: ....when your sat down, the speakers ,ALL the speakers ,should be at head(ear) height . The L & R front speakers ought to be equi-distant from the TV monitor NOT close together. Try it & see.....hear the difference.

Edited by buttheadsmate