UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

BSG Vipers and Raiders anyone?

Ok, first-off this may be more appropriate for the "Mini Factions" Forum, but I think that it has relevance to Minimates (Mods feel free to move if this is a violation).

So, I'm walking through Toys R Us the other day and I happen to notice a few new block construction sets from Best-Lock (yeah, those really cheap blocks) called "War of the Planets" that have an uncanny resemblence to BSG ships. Cool, while LEGO-scaled these might offer some possibilties for those of us with a desire to equip our pilot 'mates with a bit of modification (I've been championing Minimate Vipers and Raiders since the line was announced). Anyway, loong story short, while looking-up more info. about these on TRU's site and thinking how cool it will be to finally (well at least until DST delivers) have something for our 'lil guys to fly...I came across this: http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productld=3173985

Actual licensed BSG building blocks!! Perhaps this is part of the reason why DST hasn't done theirs (that, $, and the whole Speed Racer fiasco)? While the figures are kind'a lame and scaled to work with LEGOs, I ordered a set about a week ago to see if they could possibly be modified to accomodate a pilot 'mate. I'll try to follow-up with an update once I receive them and get a chance to tinker-around with them.

Edited by cdubya

My brother got some Best-Lock tanks a while back. Obviously, it's not as good quality as Lego, but as far as these sorts of building sets go, they're pretty durable and well-made. Hopefully the scale isn't too out to be unworkable.

EDIT: Shame they don't ship outside the US.

Edited by Graham

My brother got some Best-Lock tanks a while back. Obviously, it's not as good quality as Lego, but as far as these sorts of building sets go, they're pretty durable and well-made. Hopefully the scale isn't too out to be unworkable.

EDIT: Shame they don't ship outside the US.

Isn't there a UK TRU site (I remember looking at some Doctor Who stuff at one time and wishing that they shipped to the US)? While I haven't seen these yet in stores (I did find all of the War of the Planets stuff), I'd imagine that these may eventually show-up on shelves.

Man, that WOULD be pretty nice. Looking forward to some pics to see if it works.

But . . . why does that set come with TANKS?!

Well, I believe that it is supposed to be the BSG equivilent to Landrams (occasionally making tiny and brief cameos in the newer series) that were seen in the original series quite often. The image is to small to make-out exactly what is going on, but I'm hoping that it will provide me the parts that I need (I've been piecing together a LEGO/MegaBlok Landram since I knew about the classic 'mates...still unfinished.) to finally complete my classic version.

The set appears to include:2x Mark II Vipers, 2x Raiders, 1x Mark VII Viper (kind'a wonky-looking), and 1x Landram. I'm hoping (if these work) that we'll get a set (similar to the War of the Planets line) that has 1x Viper and 2x Raiders for about $20 or at least some single sets for $10 rather than having to buy more of these sets with unneeded pieces (unless they wanna make a Raptor or Heavy Raider ;) ). My money has been taken, but I still haven't received a confirmation or shipping schedule. Has anyone else ordered from TRU online before; is this common?!? I hope to have something to work on in a week or so.

Uhhmm....yeah, so I come home from work tonight and find a huge box from TRU waiting for me. WOW! Happy dance, after only 3 days I've received my package. Not so fast slick, I open it and pull-out a large handled box that says "War of the Planets 1000 pcs." WTF!!?!?!? Not even close to what I ordered; my invoice even clearly states " Best Lock Battlestar Galactica 1000 pc. space set"! Well, they got the Best Lock, 1000 pc., and space set right but apparently overlooked a little thing like the frak'n name of the set...idiots! I'm fucking fuming at this point and call customer service (at 1 am) as there is no way in Hell that I'm paying for shipping ($15.76) to return this for their ignorance. They agree and are sending me a return shipping label and I am then to inquire as to whether the actual item is in stock. Kind'a stupid, as I suspect that they'll say "sure, dee-di-dee" and send the same shit back to me since it's more than likely incorrect in their warehouse. Anyway, sorry for the long rant, but this really pissed me off and I am seriously beginning to question whether this set even truly exists as I've not been able to find any other reference to it's existence anywhere else as of yet. Then again, where in the Hell would they have gotten that image or info. if it weren't an actual product they carried? Oh well, calm down I'm sure that worse case I'll be refunded my money (count on that!), but I've really got my heart set on this and would be crushed if it turned-out to be a mistake. Here's hoping that this gets resolved and I get what I ordered.*sigh*

Edited by cdubya

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:

O.K. *sigh*, on behalf of the completely-incompetent-f'ing-morons that 'R Toys 'R Us, I'd like to apologize for getting anyone's hopes up (especially my own!). After two (TWO!!) attempts (and 10 frustrating conversations with "hope-fluffing" reps.), I finally decided to go straight to the source and wrote a letter to Best-Lock informing them that TRU was advertising and accepting $ for a "licensed" product that may or may not have the consent of the creators. They thanked me for the info. and said that they had considered the license but have no current plans (they'd inform me if this changes). So there you have it, NO sets for those who may have wanted to build an economical squadron for our beloved pilots. Fuck-You Toys 'R Us for the deceipt, run-around, and lies that you perpetuate. I only wish that I had contacted the studio of BSG first so they could have sued your asses off for copywrite infringements you stupid pricks!

OK, back to happy-thoughts (and square-one)...DST, how 'bout some mini-flyers already?

So, TRU is selling something that it doesn't have, and that doesn't actually exist at all? I've only had negative experiences with TRU.com (horribly packaged stuff, arbitrarily canceling orders all the time without removing the item from their web site, etc.), but nothing like this.

So, TRU is selling something that it doesn't have, and that doesn't actually exist at all? I've only had negative experiences with TRU.com (horribly packaged stuff, arbitrarily canceling orders all the time without removing the item from their web site, etc.), but nothing like this.

...Twice!! The first package was disappointing, but after talking with about 3 rep.s we determined that it was an incorrect product code and that the problem was corrected. After a huge ordeal trying to return the item (I was incorrectly told that UPS would accept it as it was a pre-paid label....wrong!!), I fortunately was able to return it to the physical store for a full refund. After speaking with yet another rep., I reordered and was assured that the problem was fixed. I was a bit suspicious when I compared the invoice codes which were the same (though it clearly stated "Battlestar Galactica"); sure enough, second package arrives with the-exact-same-item that was returned...AArghh!!! This time the kid-gloves came off and I really laid-in to the poor rep. (not her fault though). She tried to offer me a 10% discount on my "next purchase from TRU.com" (yeah, right), but I assured her that it would not be neccessary as I have no intentions of ever shopping with them on any level and encouraged her to make an effort to report this to a higher-up as the next person they would be hearing from would be lawyers from Best-Lock and/or Universal Studios. I've always had a dislike for TRU, but this incident just sealed it for me personally.

Well that blows. I guess at least Best-Lock now knows there is some interest.

Yeah, I embellished that a bit in my letter saying many of us were looking forward to these! :P They were extremely apologetic and cordial in their response and promised to keep me updated of any changes as they were looking to expand their "generic space-themed line" (War of the Planets). They also seemed a bit pissed about TRU and assured me that this would be removed immediatly.

I got a reply from best-lock. They thought about licensing, but chose not to at this time. They are going to expand the 'War of the Planets' line. No BSG right now. :ermm::( They contacted TRU.com about the listing mix-up, it will be changed eventually. So using the other sets, we could make BSG ships of our own.

• 1 month later...

I've been seeing this thing at my local Toys 'R Us and I keep wondering if you could just reassemble the pieces to look like the colonial vipers and cylon raiders? They are block toys after all, right?

Though, I'm not about to spend any money to find out. Upon closer inspection, they do look like they'd be a little on the smallish side.

• 2 months later...

These are now at my TRU, and the large set is half off. They have a large endcap at the end of the Lego aisle. I took a good long look at these and reached a few conclusions. The "Cylon" ships are actually called Raiders on the box. Interesting. They appear to be very very similar to both the BSG ships and the original prototypes. Does anyone still have a pic for comparison. The human ships otoh ARE Vipers. They're called "ace" or something like that, but they are 100% Vipers with little wings added on the front to throw people off.

These look like they should fit Minimates just find. There's a Viper/Raider(x2) 3 pack for $20 that I'm thinking of getting. Any one else care to try these out?

I would be quite tempted if money wasn't so tight and it didn't cost my right arm to get the box to me over the pond. :(

If anyone does get this I would absolutely love pictures. :D

If your gonna buy these for the raiders. DON'T. I bought the $20 set just because of the wings(to recreate a modern raider). They are not the same. The wings are three separate pieces. The instruction book pictures look like crap. I double-checked the wing pieces. I was sooooo pissed I put the box in the corner, never to put anything together. :angry: Buy at your own risk!!!!