UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Rocky Minimates

H eard this coming outta SDCC, but its also confirmed on DSTs site:

"DST Goes the Distance with Rocky!

Diamond Select Toys and Collectibles, LLC and MGM Studios are excited to announce a new license agreement for both prop replicas and Minimates based on the popular and long-lived Rocky films!

Following the story of struggling boxer Rocky Balboa, the films chronicle the underdog’s attempts at greatness – facing the toughest and deadliest boxers in the world. With his wife Adrian at his side, Balboa goes up against impossible odds time and time again with varying results. Hailed by some as the embodiment of the American ideal, the name Rocky Balboa is known worldwide.

On display during this week’s San Diego Comic Con, the first products to be released under this new license include the limited “Go the Distance” Boxing Glove Replicas and Rocky’s Boxing Trunks! Both will come individually packaged in an attractive shadow box and will ship later this year for the upcoming Rocky Balboa feature film! "

Superb, all I need, an ADRIIIIIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN minimate.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will we see the return Mr. T in the 2" scale and the chance for Dolph Movie Punisher customs, or is it going to be purely a Rocky films license but only focused on new movie line?

Will we see the return Mr. T in the 2" scale

Hopefully we will, if not i 'Pity the fools' at AA :D

Please oh please oh please oh please do not let this line fizzle out like all of the other planned Mini lines... I'd love to have some Rocky Minimates. I'm actually pretty excited about the regular action figures that Jakks is putting out, and cannot wait for the new movie...

With another Rocky movie coming soon, this line actually has a chance to be available when the movie is in the theater. We'll see if it happens.

And I want a Training Rocky / Hanging Side of Beef 2-pack, please.

Considering that they're planning on releasing these minis in conjunction with the new movie, I'm guessing it's safe to assume that they're going to be based on the new movie. What I'm wondering is if they're going to include a 'flashback' sort of mini of Rocky, or if the only incarnations we see of him will be complete with a walking stick.

heh heh...

Okay, alright. I've had my fun.

Seriously, though, I do think that this (if it does indeed stay afloat and doesn't dissapear like the X3 minis) will be a great opportunity for minimates. The Rocky films were always popular, and this new one is getting some big attention. And big attention to a movie means big attention to the products tied to it.

The plans that AA have been having with minimates recently give me great hope for what kinds of minimate products we will be getting in the future B)

I really hope we get Mini's from the other films! I, like Fujis, need an Ivan Drago Minimate.

BTW: Here's a thought: Playsets..... I'm talking like a Boxing Ring or something like that.

Please oh please oh please oh please do not let this line fizzle out like all of the other planned Mini lines... I'd love to have some Rocky Minimates. I'm actually pretty excited about the regular action figures that Jakks is putting out, and cannot wait for the new movie...

*whispers in your ear* It will fail! Iiiiiiit wiiiiiill faiiiiiiiil!

Personally, I hope this one doesn't see the light of day. Call me cynical, but one more new line of minimates means that much less time to developing Marvel mates. We've already seen what a couple waves of Street Fighter, Battlestar Galactica, and Speed Racer(!?) did to the Marvel and LotR line. Otherwise, we'll get the many faces of Sylverster Stallone to go along with the many faces of Spider-Man, Wolverine, Thing, Cyclops, Aragorn, etc.

Personally, I hope this one doesn't see the light of day. Call me cynical, but one more new line of minimates means that much less time to developing Marvel mates. We've already seen what a couple waves of Street Fighter, Battlestar Galactica, and Speed Racer(!?) did to the Marvel and LotR line. Otherwise, we'll get the many faces of Sylverster Stallone to go along with the many faces of Spider-Man, Wolverine, Thing, Cyclops, Aragorn, etc.

I think the idea is to get as many different properties out there so that there is exposure to minmates to as many target audiences as possible.

Lets see what/If it happens before we get all worried about the schedule? :) I think the big concern here is getting them out at the same time as the movie....

T.

I know we want to get as many licenses as possible to maximize exposure, but Rocky? Speed Racer? What next? We've seen in the past where figures based of of plain people don't tend to turn out too well without some very careful choices on details/etc. Why not pursue some licenses with some colorful characters?

I know we want to get as many licenses as possible to maximize exposure, but Rocky? Speed Racer? What next? We've seen in the past where figures based of of plain people don't tend to turn out too well without some very careful choices on details/etc. Why not pursue some licenses with some colorful characters?

Interestingly speed racer with the little car packs were VERY well received at the show... Probably helped by the BIG ass Mach 5 plonked in the AA booth! So there is a big following there that goes beyond minimates, dont foget AA do a lot of other stuff too.

Rocky kind of makes sense in context of the new movie, to be honest I like the idea, Kubricks did Rocky and they go for a pretty reasonable price on ebay, I nearly picked em up myself!

I dont want to come across as an AA suckup but I talked to Adam a lot at the show and picking licenses ( I was told something about one of two potential licenses that i'm not going to repeat yet, that make rocky make more sense in a broader context) and getting them to the stores is a minefield but they are clearing a path and making progress, even if it is small stuff like packaging on the pegs not a tiny box...

A side question... if they talked hasbro into making Starwars or GI Joe mates would you say you didn't want them because they are slowing up the other lines?

T.

I have the Rocky Kubricks, and would much rather see them as Minimates, especially if they do the two sided heads with normal and "kicked-the-shit-out-of" faces.

As long is the property covers all Rocky films, I'd be on board for sure.

Edited:

I understand were you're coming from drgnrbrn316, Yes true DST has been a slow turtle, but maybe they'll pick up steam heading into the end of the year.

Minimates imo have pretty much been a specialty market item. Yes they have released Mass Market packs but they haven't made a big splash and have not had the best sales which in turn only Target has bought into minimates and not the other big retailers. In the meantime I believe AA is at least being creative in the licenses to bring more minimates to the market. Keep in mind that there are other heavy hitters fighting it out trying to get the big name licenses. I see Speed Racer and these Rocky mates as stepping stones to better and greater things.

Yeah, I can see how its a big step for a "small company" to get the big licenses, and I can understand how Rocky and Speed Racer can be a good step towards something bigger.

Maybe I'm just feeling let down about all the new stuff coming out versus the same old stuff coming out for my beloved Marvel mates. I'm just concerned that they may over extend themselves and the whole empire will come crashing down. Speed Racer and Rocky just seem like half-ass licenses. Just more "different paint jobs on the same few molds". I know they both have a following and that big things in the future could launch minimates into semi-mainstream, but at the same time, if they approach these new licenses the way the Lord of the Rings, Star Trek, etc lines were done, we'll have a much larger audience of disappointed people.

And on the side-note mentioned before, if AA/DST approached any new licenses of the scale of Star Wars, GI Joe, He-Man, etc, I'd still look at it with the same reservations, only on a larger scale. How many times can you release Luke Skywalker before people lose interest? I'm all for expansion, but we need to make sure we're expanding with a good business plan rather than the slapped together past few waves we've seen.

I'm not trying to be the rain cloud here spoiling everyone's happy day, I'm just voicing my own doubts. Look at what's happened up to now. We had Star Trek, which carries a big following, but that never made it to wave 2, let alone to the spin-off shows (TNG, DS9, Voyager, Enterprise). Lord of the Rings, another big following folded before wave 3. Going longer and longer without anything new on Street Fighter, a line filled with repaints of the same characters, makes me wonder if these new 4-packs are a last ditch effort to keep the line moving. Going longer and longer without getting Marvel mates, and when we do, its the same few figures made with the same few molds. I really do want to see the market expand, but part of me is hesitant to get excited. I'll be the first to admit I'm wrong if things flourish, but I'm just scared that I'm right.

All good points drgnbrn316.

I don't think we can count on Star Trek being dead though. I think the Minimates are just on pause. I believe we will see them re-released in the 2" scale.

LOTR just couldn't generate mass market appeal this long after the movies. I don't think it was meant to be just a specialty line like DC Minimates.

I understand your frustration though.

Seriously, guys I agree wih drgnrbrn; Rocky is a lame pick when they could have picked Star Wars, Star Trek, or James Bond. I honestly don't see why they are doing this--I mean how many of you prefer Rocky(some boxer dude) to Darth Vader (Evil genius with light saber)?

B) :deathstroke: