UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

So what comics is everyone reading?

1985 is also pretty interesting so far, anyone else picking that up?

Yeah I'm reading 1985, Kick Ass is good as well.

Millar's really everywhere right now, isn't he? The end of that last Kick Ass issue was simultaneously shocking/hilarious. And 1985 actually made a loser crook like Electro seem really disturbing and threatening.

I don't think Fantastic Four's been as good, but this week's was an improvement, and his first ish of Wolverine was only set-up but it looks like it could be fun, and McNiven's art is awesome either way...

Millar's really everywhere right now, isn't he? The end of that last Kick Ass issue was simultaneously shocking/hilarious. And 1985 actually made a loser crook like Electro seem really disturbing and threatening.

I don't think Fantastic Four's been as good, but this week's was an improvement, and his first ish of Wolverine was only set-up but it looks like it could be fun, and McNiven's art is awesome either way...

Can someon tell me what the hell 1985 IS!!!???

Can someon tell me what the hell 1985 IS!!!???

1985 is a comic book written by Mark Millar and illustraded by Tommy Lee Edwards. I've only read the first issue but it looks very promising, check it out I highly recommend it.

Alpheon, you should've got the word out here.

I'm trying to sell off all my old comics for cvheap and Freeddom Force is in there. :P

Ah, crap. :(:lol: Just goes to show I need to come to my friends first. I wound up paying $2.99 for each (a set of six). Oy. Out of curiosity...are yours still sealed?

And I read the synopsis for Marvel 1985 on good ol' Wikipedia. Sounds...odd. Where's it all going, I wonder?

Edited by Alpheon

I picked up the first 8 issues of 52 for 25 cents each. Its gotta be the most CONFUSING comic EVER! Should i pick up INfinite Crisis? Whats one year later? Where are Superman Batman and Wonderwoman? Why does the story center around Booster gold? HELP before my hed explodes!!!!

Forget what I said. It was an opinion inappropriately expressed in the wrong place at the wrong time. I apologize. Obviously, those statements do not reflect the opinions of Minimate Multiverse as a whole, its management, or its members (besides myself). Thank you.

Yeah, 52 is confusing. DC's confusing as a whole. :confused:

Ummm, I read them once, so I guess they're not 100% mint... I would give 'em a 99%. :P

Sounds like most of my comics. :D Thanks for the offer, though.

Edited by Alpheon

I actually disagree Alpheon...

Across the board.

I'm more than happy to help.

Punisher, essentially Infinite Crisis was DC giant event celebrating the 20th anniversary of Crisis of the Infinite Earths.

It wasn't a happy ending though:

1) Wonder Woman snapped a man's neck.

2) It was revealed that Batman was brainwashed by the Justice League years prior, so he turned on them and unleashed an army of Meta killing robots (OMACS if you have the mates).

3) Superman got his ass handed to him hard... So hard his powers would not return for a long time.

52 is DC's answer to the TV show 24. It recounts the year following Infinite Crisis, in which Superman, Batman & Wonder Woman walk away.

It is a brilliant book and turns on it's head peop[le who believe DC is based around the big 3. It's not. Unlike Marvel, DC is willing to push their biggest stories with their smallest characters.

It might start off a little confusing, especially if it's your first DC books, but it'll hit it's rythm soon.

Oh, and "1 year later" is, obviously everything that happened AFTER 52.

I am more than willing to walk you through some of the characters and confusing things if you have questions, just let me know.

You really should consult the internet (Google; heck, even Wikipedia) before asking us stuff like this. You'll get less ambiguous answers, more definitive information, and probably more helpful resources (and don't forget about getting less people annoyed) that way, rather than generally pleading for assistance in keeping your cranium contained.

Search engines are your friend. So are we--but the former provides the answers, we prefer to only provide opinions (and we've got plenty of those: this post is an example). ;) So if you need a review, please, ask away. But "HELP!!!!"? Nah. Look elsewhere.

And yeah, 52 is confusing. DC's confusing. :confused:

searh engines are NOT my friend. all they do is make everything worse! (grunts)

thanks nestle. i will try to pick up some more of 52, and maybe infinite crisis.

It is a brilliant book and turns on it's head people who believe DC is based around the big 3. It's not. Unlike Marvel, DC is willing to push their biggest stories with their smallest characters.

I believe DC tends to be based around the big 3 (and that's fine; Marvel's largely based around Spider-man, X-Men, and these days Avengers), and 52 did not really turn me on my head. Seeing as the whole book was based on the premise of what would happen in the absence of the big 3, that means Bats, Supes and Wondy were very involved in the story. I mean good for DC for taking their cornerstones out of play for a year, but when their absence is the whole driving force of the story it's hard to say that story isn't pushed by them (wasn't the first image for 52 even that picture of Superman's cape, Batman's cowl and Wonderwoman's whatever, all sitting there unused?).

Similarly, didn't Marvel bump all their heroes off into some pocket universe or something in the late '90s? I think that was how the Thunderbolts started, maybe? Plus, House Of M was driven by Scarlet Witch (not exactly a big character), and Iron Man has only become a Marvel cornerstone because of his involvement in recent big stories. Anyway, not trying to get too Marvel fanboy on you :P I just think most sweeping generalizations about Marvel and DC can be seen from a different angle or two.

Edited by battlecat

It is a brilliant book and turns on it's head people who believe DC is based around the big 3. It's not. Unlike Marvel, DC is willing to push their biggest stories with their smallest characters.

I believe DC tends to be based around the big 3 (and that's fine; Marvel's largely based around Spider-man, X-Men, and these days Avengers), and 52 did not really turn me on my head. Seeing as the whole book was based on the premise of what would happen in the absence of the big 3, that means Bats, Supes and Wondy were very involved in the story. I mean good for DC for taking their cornerstones out of play for a year, but when their absence is the whole driving force of the story it's hard to say that story isn't pushed by them (wasn't the first image for 52 even that picture of Superman's cape, Batman's cowl and Wonderwoman's whatever, all sitting there unused?).

Similarly, didn't Marvel bump all their heroes off into some pocket universe or something in the late '90s? I think that was how the Thunderbolts started, maybe? Plus, House Of M was driven by Scarlet Witch (not exactly a big character), and Iron Man has only become a Marvel cornerstone because of his involvement in recent big stories. Anyway, not trying to get too Marvel fanboy on you :P I just think most sweeping generalizations about Marvel and DC can be seen from a different angle or two.

I still largely disagree. Iron man has been huge forever. Maybe not as huige as current comics, but still not new to the field. 52 was based around the Question, Elongated man, Booster GOld, Steel, Adam Strange, Animal Man, Starfire & Rip Hunter. You heard of half of those characters before?

Did you read 52? Or just look at the cover of the 1st issue? Having read Marvel for a long time, I can say Wolverine is on every damn Superhero team.

DC doesn't use the big 3 nearlyt as mucxh as people think. Of their big teams: Justioce League, Titans & Justice Society the big 3 are only on 1 of them. That being said Supes, BAts and WW has been on LESS THAN HALF of the "incarnations" of Justice League over the years.

Sure Supes & BAts eaqch have like 4 books apiece, but DC's vision and sales don't rely on them.

Crisis of the INfinite Earths followed JOhn Stewart, FireStorm, Alexander Luthor, Flash, Pariah, Blue Beetle, Psycho Pirate, Harbringer and, Superman.

Inifinite Crisis followed Powergirl, Nightwing, Superboy, Superboy Prime, Alexander Luthor and SupermanII.

Countdown: Kyle Rayner, Troiya, Trickster, Piper, Harley Quinn, Catwoman, JAson Todd, Jimmy Olsen, Mary MArvel, Atom.

Notice a pattern? The big 3 are almost not a part of any of the biog things DC does.

Final Crisis, which is supposedly their final world changing Crisis has already taken Superman and Batman out of the equation, with Wonderwoman being next in issue 3.

The difference with 52 is that in these other books they were there for "moral support."

52 was about a time when heroes had no one to look to. Imagine being a superhero and having your role model give up.

That is the basis of 52.

Also, having read that '90s example... Well all they did was "reboot" FF, Avengers and others while keeping XMen and Sipderman (their 2 bioggest properties) in play.

It's true that I generalize, but when a large quantity hit the mark... :P

I still largely disagree.

Well, that's fine :) It's all just opinion and interpretation.

Iron man has been huge forever. Maybe not as huige as current comics, but still not new to the field.

Before New Avengers began setting him up in his current King Dick of the Universe role, I would not have called him huge. Like he was a well-known character, but not a big seller (I don't think his solo books are all that huge even today). You could maybe argue him as a Marvel cornerpost the last few years (or at least the Avengers as a whole), but before that he was no Spider-man/Superman in sales or interest. I think The Ultimates made Marvel realize he deserved a more prominent role in the mainstream universe events, same with Hulk and Cap. For a loooong time all big events seemed to be Spidey or X-Men based, and then they gave up on events altogether for a few years (I think DC's done the same at times?) although now events are big sellers again.

52 was based around the Question, Elongated man, Booster GOld, Steel, Adam Strange, Animal Man, Starfire & Rip Hunter. You heard of half of those characters before?

3 out of 8, Question and Starfire from cartoons, Steel from Death of Superman right? But again, I never argued 52 didn't use small characters, I praised it for doing that -- I just said you can't say the series had nothing to do with the big 3 when it was specifically about their absence.

Did you read 52? Or just look at the cover of the 1st issue? Having read Marvel for a long time, I can say Wolverine is on every damn Superhero team.

Nope, just followed the reviews. So yes, I'm no expert on 52, but my point was about the series' concept, not content or quality. Wolverine's currently on 3 teams I think: New Avengers, X-Men (sort of), and X-force. But yes, he's a ridiculously overused character :P

DC doesn't use the big 3 nearlyt as mucxh as people think. Of their big teams: Justioce League, Titans & Justice Society the big 3 are only on 1 of them. That being said Supes, BAts and WW has been on LESS THAN HALF of the "incarnations" of Justice League over the years.

Sure Supes & BAts eaqch have like 4 books apiece, but DC's vision and sales don't rely on them.

And they also have a joint book! And now Trinity for all 3 of 'em :P I wouldn't say all DC's sales rely on them, but they definitely shove them into all kinds of things, presumably to get bigger sales (same as Marvel shoves Wolverine into everything).

Crisis of the INfinite Earths followed JOhn Stewart, FireStorm, Alexander Luthor, Flash, Pariah, Blue Beetle, Psycho Pirate, Harbringer and, Superman.

Inifinite Crisis followed Powergirl, Nightwing, Superboy, Superboy Prime, Alexander Luthor and SupermanII.

Countdown: Kyle Rayner, Troiya, Trickster, Piper, Harley Quinn, Catwoman, JAson Todd, Jimmy Olsen, Mary MArvel, Atom.

Notice a pattern? The big 3 are almost not a part of any of the biog things DC does.

Final Crisis, which is supposedly their final world changing Crisis has already taken Superman and Batman out of the equation, with Wonderwoman being next in issue 3.

Okay, but when I talk about the influence of Supes/Bats, I'm thinking their supporting cast too, who are all over those events. I'm glad to hear they're booting the big 3 out of Final Crisis, from what you say it sounds like it worked well for 52.

Also, having read that '90s example... Well all they did was "reboot" FF, Avengers and others while keeping XMen and Sipderman (their 2 bioggest properties) in play.

Oh okay, cool. Scarlet Witch was still the character behind House of M (and Avengers Disassembled) though. And Marvel's had those Annihilation events the last couple years, which were all about wacky space-based characters I've never heard of and had nothing to do with their big sellers. And, like I said, I think World War Hulk and Civil War were really what made Hulk/Cap/Iron Man much bigger players in the current comics (all the recent Marvel movies obviously helped too :D ), instead of them bringing people to the events.

I'm not saying Marvel doesn't use their big guns all the time. Just that DC does too. And that's fine. And they both produce alternatives for readers trying to avoid those overused characters. My whole point was it's hard to make a straightforward case that DC = A and Marvel = B. They've both tried a lot of different things over the years. Apologies for the long reply!

Did you see my post?

Length doesn't matter. ;)

It's important to note that not using major players DOES NOT equal a Good book. Countdown was sort of a spiritual sequel to 52... And it sucked.

It's also important to note that I'm not saying DC is better then Marvel. Having spent a great deal of time reading books from both companies I can proudly say both have some pretty crappy comics on the market.

That being said, I think DC "re-wrote" themselves about 4 years ago and have really turned it's universe into something special. What's extra exciting is that it seems Marvel is following suit...

At least with everythinhg NOT Spider-man (Don't get me started on him).

I'm also aware that Marvel makes more $ money than DC. I think that has to do with the fact that DC has stopped putting all their fish in one barrel. Superman, Batman & Wonder Woman are less about "Controlling the fate of the universe" than they are figure heads who deserve respect.

Punisher, I DO suggest picking up more 52. Looking over at my shelf of TPBs, it's probably the set I love the most... But that wasn't because of "The Big 3" not being involved... It was because 4 writers did a damn fine job working together.

I'm not sure if I would suggest picking up Infinite Crisis tho. Don't get me wrong, it's REALLY good, but if you are confused by 52 I don't think you're ready for Infinite Crisis yet. It uses a MASSIVE cast of characters (all of DC's) adn it's non-stop action.

At least with 52 if you understand where the characters have been you should be able to relate to them.

Having spent a great deal of time reading books from both companies I can proudly say both have some pretty crappy comics on the market.

Too true, but on the flip side of that, the past few years I think they've both released some of the best superhero stuff I've ever read -- Marvel's had Runaways, Astonishing, Nextwave, X-Statix, New Avengers, and DC's had New Frontier, All Star Supes, Loeb & Sale's Batman and Superman stuff (before Loeb's talent wandered off somewhere), Morrison's crazy Batman run, and from what you've said I'll have to check out 52...

I agree Marvel's lately followed suit and pulled all their series together into a more cohesive universe -- on the one hand that's made me love Marvel as I've gotten back into comics the last few years, on the other hand that interconnectedness is the same thing that's made a lot of DC books hard to follow when I've picked up an issue (although like I said I read Batman, and various non-canon minis), so I don't know. Anyway, it's been interesting hearing your take on it all...

I couldn't agree more.

The problem with DC is that it has become such a beatifully complex thing that some of it's greatest moments (like Infinite Crisis) can only be appreaciated by:

A ) Someone who has a good grasp on DC

or

B ) Someone sitting in front of Wikipedia as they read.

THat being said I try to start people with either Hush or Identity Crisis.

Also, if people are looking for a good read, anything written by Geoff Johns is awesome. B)

Edited by Nestlé

• 1 month later...

I just picked up Giant Sized Astonishing X-Men just to see Joss' run (finally) end on that book. I love Joss, but the book had so many issues.

I usually just pick up what looks interesting on the rack, and a lot of trade paperbacks. I'm a Marvel Essentials/DC Showcase Presents junkie.