UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Some quick part swap customs

Here are a couple of quick part swaps that I did tonight, just screwing around with some of my Minimates. I've got a few more planned, and I'll post them up when I get the extra pieces that I need for them.

Minimates:

Dirty Harry (more stubble than he would have, but. . .). This was made from my extra Few Dollars More Eastwood head and hair (I tried some other hair pieces, but this one really looked the best), VP Baltar's shirt, Season 1 Jack Bauer's jacket and arms, and SM3 Sandman's legs/shoes:

post-1827-1207118473_thumb.jpg

http://www.filmforum.org/films/siegel/DirtyHarrynewhead.jpg

Annie Lennox--I'm seriously considering painting her hair bright orange; I used this suit as it was the only one I have that isn't a Power House piece, and those make her look too masculine. Anyway, this is Six's head, 24 End of Day 2 Jack Bauer 2-pack hair, and everything else is from the Chameleon.

post-1827-1207118529_thumb.jpg

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/p...nox-Posters.jpg

And a quick DOD Jack from. . .I think it was season 3? Where he was working for the Secretary of Defense in some capacity? I don't even really remember what he looked like, or his job, obviously, but I remember that he was wearing a spiffy suit. This is Bauer's head, hair, and hands from the Season 1 4 pack, everything else is President Palmer from the same pack. He has a brown neck, but it's not very noticeable.

post-1827-1207118595_thumb.jpg

http://www.derok.net/images/entertainment/...ent%20logan.jpg

And here are some minor modifications that I made to existing Minimates that I like a bit more than the originals.

Angel is a finished version of something that I posted in another thread. It's got Cap's head, Sentry's hair, and Hawkman's wings painted white with Krylon Fusion paint. He's leaning forward b/c he's so damn back heavy.

"Gaijin" Wolvie has the Dark Tide face, all the rest is the same. I've tried all kinds of combinations with the various Wolverine parts that I've had, but think this look epitomizes the Wolvie that I know best.

Starbuck is the Toyfair exclusive with CAG Starbuck's face and hair. I never liked the wave 1 face and hair, and never thought it was a great resemblance to Starbuck. I think this face works well, and this body is definitely the quintessential Starbuck to me.

Robin is not finished, actually, but I'm waiting to get ahold of another Nightwing head first. I want to chip away some of the paint around the mask, but ultimately, my favorite Robin is Dick Grayson from his late teenage years in the Wolfman/Perez "New" Teen Titans run from the 80s. So, I wanted a more "adult" Robin, but in his iconic outfit (plus, it makes sense to have this Robin given that we have a Starfire and are getting a Cyborg and Raven soon. . .). Surprisingly, as I found out very early on on these boards, there aren't a lot of Minimates with the small mask on their head like Robin's (despite the wealth of heroes and villains in the comics with masks like that one). So, given that this face comes pretty close, and definitely has the mature Dick Grayson look that I'm looking for, this is what I'm going to use, I think:

post-1827-1207119495_thumb.jpg

David Hasselhoff:

post-1827-1207204064_thumb.jpg

http://l.yimg.com/img.tv.yahoo.com/tv/us/i...71212134209.jpg

Spider-Spartan:

post-1827-1207280090_thumb.jpg

Frank (Henry Fonda) from "Once Upon a Time in the West"

post-1827-1207333062_thumb.jpg

post-1827-1207333331_thumb.jpg

Space Cowboy:

post-1827-1207333043_thumb.jpg

Non-Minimates:

Here is my customized GI Joe 25th anniversary Lady Jaye and Flint. Lady Jaye has Bombstrike's hair painted brown. I don't have a dremel (yet), so I had to chip all that plastic away with an exacto-knife--grueling process. So now, of course, a hatless Lady Jaye is being released officially, but that's OK. I like the one that I made, anyway. Flint has gloves that I made from epoxy putty, and painted brown.

post-1827-1207119538_thumb.jpg

Comic-accurate Ace:

post-1827-1207279985_thumb.jpg

My unfinished Alternator Ratchet custom:

post-1827-1207280216_thumb.jpg

My Alternator Ironhide custom:

post-1827-1207280286_thumb.jpg

Edited by karamazov80

Here is a work-in-progress of my first attempt at an actual "custom" figure: the Hourman:

post-1827-1207804858_thumb.jpg

He is one of my top 3 favorite DC characters, and since that line appears to be in limbo right now, I decided to finally bite the bullet and get him made. I'm pretty happy with him so far. He has a black torso, crotch, and arms, Caucasoid hands, Sentry's legs and head (mask made with a regular and extra fine tipped Sharpie), Hawkman's belt, and Spectre's cape and hood/cowl.

In my over-zealousness to put him together, I scraped some paint off of his cape with my fingernail, but his cape and hood need a couple of extra coats, anyway. I am going to get him a red belt at some point (don't know if I'll paint this one or not. . .), and I will have to fix up his boots so that they are black with red stripes. I haven't decided if I will add the red stripe to his cape or not. I'm also thinking about using the hour glass from my Pocket Heroes Hourman, but I may just sculpt one out of epoxy putty instead, and see how that comes out.

The biggest decision was how to do the mask. For those who don't know, Hourman's cowl basically just drapes over the front of his face, and is actually yellow, but artists from the beginning have painted a black shadow over his face, which makes him look a little more mysterious, I guess. I considered, first, using epoxy putty and sculpting an extra piece over the front of the Spectre's cowl here, leaving little holes for his eyes. But, that would be a lot of work, and ultimately, I'm not sure that it would look that great. So instead, I followed the lead of the DC Direct JSA figure and the Pocket Hero by simply painting the face black. I also thought about trimming back the "v" shaped part where the hood comes over the top of the head, so that it would look more rounded, but I'm afraid that his forehead would look very large if I did, and I suspect that this is why the Pocket Hero version was handled similarly. I cut the mask part that was under his chin away, as you couldn't see his mouth very well when it was there, and this actually is a closer approximation of the JSA figure that I was using as a kind of loose reference, anyway.

Any thoughts/suggestions? And please, have a little sympathy, this is my first try :blush: Hopefully I will get enought confidence up from this one to do my long-considered Speedy, Dr. Midnite, and Mr. Terrific-Mates.

Hey karamozov80, I've actually also been planning on doing the exact same Hourman custom! Right now I'm waiting for my extra Spectre to ship, and to get up the courage to attempt a more detailed custom. heck, I probably could have written your post! :lol:

Some thoughts: I've been thinking the same thing about the mask, also planning on giving Sculpty a try (this would be my "virgin attempt"). I like the look of the face painting that you did, but I'm still not sure if I'm going to follow suit. I think I may still give sculpting a try.

For his crotch piece I plan to use a classic Cyclops; the belt is red, and I can easily paint the trunks black. I'm also probably going to just use a pair of extra legs, paint them yellow, and fill in the black/red parts. Also, I'm definitely stealing that pocket heroes hourglass!

Anyway, though I'm a bit disappointed that you beat me to the "world premier" of the Hourman recipe, I think it's pretty cool that are instincts were so close! :biggrin:

Anyway, though I'm a bit disappointed that you beat me to the "world premier" of the Hourman recipe, I think it's pretty cool that are instincts were so close! :biggrin:

Be sure to post pics! I'm curious to see how the sculpted mask comes out.

Be sure to post pics! I'm curious to see how the sculpted mask comes out.

That's assuming I actually go through with it....

• 2 weeks later...

Here are a few more derivative part-swappers, largely. Credit to God Magnus and Pete for ideas contributing to my McClane and Ash, respectively:

First off is my John McClane. Similar to Magnus's, except that his base is the wife-beater-wearing Wolvie, and I gave him black eyebrows and a custom hairpiece, since I don't have Drazen. The hair piece was from Assault Punisher, sanded down, trimmed to show the receding hairline, and painted black with a Sharpie. . .I really need to start using my acrylic paints here, but I'm too lazy. When I was sanding down the hair with my dremel, I intentionally left it messy, to simulate his messed up hair. His feet are from Ryu, and don't really clash with the rest of his skin in person as much as they do in this picture. But even if they did, it's the only bare feet I have, I think, so. . .

post-1827-1208839093_thumb.jpg

Next is pre-hand-infected Ash. He's got parts from the Man w/No Name (shirt/arms), George Mason (pants), battle damaged Kirk (face--I think this face captures the Ash personality and look pretty well, while also giving him some scuffs following his battle with his deranged zombie girlfriend), con exclusive Punisher (hair), Tony Almeida (hair on Ash in second picture--I realized after posting this, that this second hair-do is a little more Ash-like) and Sandman (shoes). I will try to get me a shotgun and chainsaw for him soon. . .

post-1827-1208839378_thumb.jpg

post-1827-1208843920_thumb.jpg

I had some extra Nick Fury heads, since I bought several of him to make some S.H.I.E.L.D. agents, and a bunch o' Patches, so this is Fury in 007 get-up. I couldn't get a decent Daniel Craig or Sean Connery head/hair from my extra parts.

post-1827-1208839194_thumb.jpg

I tried a lot of different head/hair combos for a whore/exotic dancer, and I really like this one a lot. Head is FYE Nina Myers, hair is from emo Parker from SM3.

post-1827-1208839455_thumb.jpg

Edited by karamazov80

• 3 months later...

Not a Minimate, but. . .

I got a number of Kubricks in the mail yesterday (many do to a fellow member here), and from those, threw together this part swap figure--Flint:

post-1827-1216991633_thumb.jpg

The shotgun shell-vest is too big b/c it is from the 25th TF Flint. I may ultimately modify it so that it fits (cutting off the belt part and gluing it to a Special Forces Kubrick belt), but I'm not sure that I want to do without my 2 Minority Report figures, Olga Gurlukovich, and Special Forces figure that were used to make him.

post-1827-1216991658_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...