UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Art Asylum Talent Search @ SDCC

Come to the AA booth between 4pm and 5pm on Friday July 21.

Sculptor, Illustrator, 2d Designer, Package designer, Painter and everything in between Search!

Meet AA's Donna Soldano and Robert Yee to have your work reviewed for upcoming projects. Don't miss this opportunity to learn more about breaking in to the toy industry.

We look forward to seeing you there!

OK I dont want this to get into a fight or a I meant this/you meant that

conversation, and I have a huge respect for ALL of our customisers and what they produce.

but to be honest I dont think customisers are likely to be brought into the fold, they rely to much on 'one the fly ideas and materials' I think that these days you need to be an illustrator or engineer to be considered proffesionally.

The one person from here who I would back to get somewhere would be Base24, he's an great artist who totally has the concept designs pegged and has shown his flexibility in character choices.

Just my 2 pennies

T.

Boyd? (AA already steal his stuff) CloneMe? Nervous? TBT? nikkitony? Donny B?

I think there are quite a few that could go pro aside from those 3.

Good point. I guess I always think of those three first since they seem to produce customs on a more regular basis. And I think you forgot one name on that list... ;)

...but to be honest I dont think customisers are likely to be brought into the fold, they rely to much on 'one the fly ideas and materials' I think that these days you need to be an illustrator or engineer to be considered proffesionally.

The one person from here who I would back to get somewhere would be Base24, he's an great artist who totally has the concept designs pegged and has shown his flexibility in character choices.

Just my 2 pennies

T.

I think you're right about 'customizers not being brought into the fold' but it never hurts to try. At the very least it would be cool to have Donna and Robert check out and comment on your work.

And I just sent an email to Barry suggesting that he put together a portfolio and send it down to someone from the board that would be willing to take it to the booth.

Dudes...I live in San Diego, I will be there friday, I've been a graphic designer/artist ofr like 7 years, I've always wanted to be a package designer(more so than a minimate designer) I have some rockin minimates customs I've designed in Illustrator and painted myself, and I know all adobe programs like the back of my nuts... see you all on the bottom of an AA toy box LOL......

But seriously, I think if any of us and I mean ANY of us are there that day, no reason why we shouldn't cruise and check it out.

Boyd? (AA already steal his stuff) CloneMe? Nervous? TBT? nikkitony? Donny B?

I think there are quite a few that could go pro aside from those 3.

Good point. I guess I always think of those three first since they seem to produce customs on a more regular basis. And I think you forgot one name on that list... ;)

...but to be honest I dont think customisers are likely to be brought into the fold, they rely to much on 'one the fly ideas and materials' I think that these days you need to be an illustrator or engineer to be considered proffesionally.

Just my 2 pennies

T.

I think you're right about 'customizers not being brought into the fold' but it never hurts to try. At the very least it would be cool to have Donna and Robert check out and comment on your work.

And I just sent an email to Barry suggesting that he put together a portfolio and send it down to someone from the board that would be willing to take it to the booth.

Last year Nervous brought his customs to SDCC and showed them to Adam, he was very impressed and excited. I think they love to see that stuff but wouldn't consider it part of the 'talent search' just something fun to pass the time.

I'm not sure someone taking Barry's work would do him any good he needs to be here or one of the shows in person, BTW Does anyone else feel odd talking about Base 24 like he's a child and cant answer for himself? :huh:

T.

Last year Nervous brought his customs to SDCC and showed them to Adam, he was very impressed and excited. I think they love to see that stuff but wouldn't consider it part of the 'talent search' just something fun to pass the time.

I'm not sure someone taking Barry's work would do him any good he needs to be here or one of the shows in person, BTW Does anyone else feel odd talking about Base 24 like he's a child and cant answer for himself? :huh:

We're just talking about him since he hasn't been to this thread yet. Who knows? maybe he'll jump on a plane and bring his stuff down himself!

And that's cool that Nervous showed his stuff to Adam - I'd love to hear that story!

Cloneme: Go for it and best of luck!

Haha, no worries talking about me, I just hadn't had a chance to post yet! I appreciate people thinking of me with this news.

I am a little worried that I would have to be on-hand for this, as comic companies require the person they're scouting to be infront of them for a meeting, regardless of talent. Most places won't even accept work by mail anymore because they want to meet the human producing it.

My other fear is that in the short time I have to prepare something, I can't get non-minimate work in there. This seems to be an open-ended job op, not a minimate exclusive job, so I might be limiting myself by just showing them the Minimate end of what I can do.

That said though, it really couldn't hurt to give it a try. If I had heard about this sooner, I would have gone myself, but now it would be nearly impossible to get accomodations, and airfare for me is over $1200 before all the fees and such. Plus, I can't get off work with short notice.

I'm going to put something together showing who I am. Worst thing they can do is reject it, or laugh that I couldn't make it I suppose, but at least it would be noticed!

Good luck to anyone else going to try out. This is a very cool opportunity!

Interesting wonder what good things come from this .

Best of luck Clonme and all those members that participate There is a bunch of talent in the custom forums.

Wish they expanded their search to WWC or another con, this way more members in the area that could not make it to SDCC could participate' They're losing out imo.

No tears here Ady...... I know the work that goes through this place, and in all honesty.....I would be very honored to purchase any minimates that get created by AA that A member of this community had designed and made!

So to all that do this, best of Luck!!