UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

What is..the perfect Minimate?

I thought id ask this question as im looking at a mate & im not sure if mates could be any better than they are while maintaining the block look of a mate.

Would the perfect minimate be a mate with more points of articulation? IMO yes but i realize not everyonr caares about poseability.

Would the perfect mate be a more "realistic" looking 2'' figure? Again for me yes....but would that still be a mate?

Someone mentioned in another thread the issue that arises when you start increasing the size of the minimate to 2.5'' tall (scale issues). Wouldnt making mates more proportional/"realistic" create the same problem? If so does that eliminate that avenue as far as making 'mates better?

Im just curious if Minimates have reached the pinnacle of perfection in their form or if there is any room for improvement?

That's an interesting question. I think the mold is perfect as it is - more articulation than a lego figure, but not so much that it is detrimental to the simple and basic design. There are other block figures with more articulation, but they simply cannot capture the striking proportions of a minimate.

I think the only real area for improvement in reaching the status of "perfection" is in the paint applications. A "perfect" minimate would have details painted on every surface, including the bottom of the feet and inside the knee joint. This is not possible with the current pricing model, but that is the only way that the overall design could be made more perfect for me.

I would have said a rotation at the bicep/elbow, it's the one piece of articulation that I feel could improve poseability.

T.

Tim took the works outta my keyboard there......thats the only thing I consistantly think would be nice to have...

Jeff of the Minis

I think I agree with Tim, and Jeff on this one. I would kill for the "swivel-arm" articulation, like my favorite toys growing up...G.I.Joe :P the only other thing that would be nice is an ankle swivel, so the can stand with their legs spread a little more, and still be flat on the ground.........someone did this to a mate, i think spiderwoman, and it gives a nicer pose in my opinion

ps. Reideen, why must you tease me with that picture, I have been waiting for these suckers to come out forever :(

I think I agree with Tim, and Jeff on this one. I would kill for the "swivel-arm" articulation, like my favorite toys growing up...G.I.Joe :P the only other thing that would be nice is an ankle swivel, so the can stand with their legs spread a little more, and still be flat on the ground.........someone did this to a mate, i think spiderwoman, and it gives a nicer pose in my opinion

ps. Reideen, why must you tease me with that picture, I have been waiting for these suckers to come out forever :(

Well, I actually just contacted the company to find out the status of their lines, so they were on my mind. IF I hear anything back (big if, since their site appears to be mostly a shell and their myspace page hasn't been updated in a long time) I'll let you know.

Well.... the perfect mate would be free and available within 30 seconds after it was announced. However, that's not exactly realistic.

Swivel biceps would be a nice addition and allow better arm poses.

The other thing I think I'd change is the hip design. I like the swivel hips, but sometimes the figures' hips look disproportionately narrow compared to the bodies, especially when there's a coat or something.

Yet another vote for swivel biceps and improved paint apps, which like head holes and C3 feet are IMO minor design improvements, where some of the other described additions are starting to move them beyond the standard existing body into virtually another toy entirely.

But what do I know, I'm wary about increasing amount of specific molded Minimate headblocks...

luke314pi - What block figures boast more articulation than Minimates (other than Shockini's which are a different height and arent really to my preference)? I suppose extra details never hurt so you cant go wrong with additional paint app's.

Although im a big fan of the Stikfas delta boy extreme im not a big fan of the elbow design (i.e. ball joints at the elbow). To much has to be done to hide that style of joint there in order to make it look more natural.

Reideen1313 - Im all for the additional torso joint. Theres ZERO reason that it couldnt be added on the smooth standard Mate body. Certain figures with accessories might make that difficult but it wouldnt be impossible. What figure line is that picture from? Does that figure have ball jointed elbows?

I dig the shoulder design it has (small hinges). The Futurama figures are like that and were REAL close to being perfect. It seems like if you combined the stikfas , Mates and Futurama I-Men youd have the perfect mini. Pricey but perfect

I 100% agree regarding the swivel bicep. Thats the ONLY reason i got back into Minimates is because of the swivel bicep issue. Minimates are cool but the swivel arm makes them border line great for me. Like Nervous i grew up on and was spoiled by the GI Joe standard articulation. Anything short of that wont get my money. Ever.

captain_cbecker - what would be a perfect hip design for you on the mate body? hinges or simply wider ball joints?

luke314pi - What block figures boast more articulation than Minimates (other than Shockini's which are a different height and arent really to my preference)? I suppose extra details never hurt so you cant go wrong with additional paint app's.

Although im a big fan of the Stikfas delta boy extreme im not a big fan of the elbow design (i.e. ball joints at the elbow). To much has to be done to hide that style of joint there in order to make it look more natural.

Reideen1313 - Im all for the additional torso joint. Theres ZERO reason that it couldnt be added on the smooth standard Mate body. Certain figures with accessories might make that difficult but it wouldnt be impossible. What figure line is that picture from? Does that figure have ball jointed elbows?

I dig the shoulder design it has (small hinges). The Futurama figures are like that and were REAL close to being perfect. It seems like if you combined the stikfas , Mates and Futurama I-Men youd have the perfect mini. Pricey but perfect

I 100% agree regarding the swivel bicep. Thats the ONLY reason i got back into Minimates is because of the swivel bicep issue. Minimates are cool but the swivel arm makes them border line great for me. Like Nervous i grew up on and was spoiled by the GI Joe standard articulation. Anything short of that wont get my money. Ever.

captain_cbecker - what would be a perfect hip design for you on the mate body? hinges or simply wider ball joints?

To answer your question....

I think hinged hips would look the best, but I also hate to trade on the articulation.

That being said, maybe a little closer fit between the thighs and the hip/lower torso piece would make them look a little more robust without giving up the articulation.

To answer your question....

I think hinged hips would look the best, but I also hate to trade on the articulation.

That being said, maybe a little closer fit between the thighs and the hip/lower torso piece would make them look a little more robust without giving up the articulation.

Thats one of the reasons i picked up a 3 pack of Pyrates from MEga Bloks today. The hip/lower torso section is more narrow / not as wide as the hip/lower torso of the minimates. By roughly 2 mm's if i recall (which at this scale makes a big difference).

I plan on making some mods..*sigh* once i actually get some MM's in hand that is.

That's one of the BOTP Nanomen. There was also an awesome proposed line of Micronauts Nanomen. Unfortunately the Nanomen never materialized at retail. I have contact info for the owner of the company and am working on contacting him to see if I can find out their status.

That's one of the BOTP Nanomen. There was also an awesome proposed line of Micronauts Nanomen. Unfortunately the Nanomen never materialized at retail. I have contact info for the owner of the company and am working on contacting him to see if I can find out their status.

Ahhhhhh...I wasnt familiar with the BOTP Nanomen but i do recall (after researching) the Micronaut Nanomen as a blip on my radar years back. While im not really impressed overall with the BOTP Nano's (i dont know if that odd looking forearm is due to the characters costume design being translated into block style or not but if its a ball joint.. stikfas ball joint forearms are better looking. If its a hinge joint forearm Minimates look much better despite being split in half IMO) ...

Hands down the Micronauts line would have received my money. I may have not purchased all of them but i would have purchased at least one. That arm design sealed the deal despite them being 2.5 inches at the smallest height.

Thats ok though...that just means customizers need to get to work to duplicate the design on their own. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

**Side Note** It blows my mind that this company creates a fully , truly poseable fig at 2.5 '' tall but Hasbro "All your monies are belonging to us" couldnt fully articulate their 2.5'' Sigma 6 line. :blink:

Reideen1313 do you happen to know what height the Micronauts Nanomen Space Glider figure is? The little information ive drummed up suggest that the figures were to scale i.e. there were 2'', 2.5'' and 3'' figures planned. Im assuming the Space Glider was 2.5'' tall but is there any reason to believe he might have been 3'' tall?

Odd question but im trying to figure something out with regards to the figures arms...

• 10 months later...