UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

What are your TOP 3 personally done customs?

MINI_MYTE

Hi gang! I decided to start this thread in order to get some feedback from all the customizers out there. Now some of you have just started the custom minimate game and while others have been doing this for a few years now. Well what I wanted to know from all of you is which 3 of your own minimate customs are you most proud of? You can pick anything from your earlier work to your most current or your most detailed work or your simplest stuff. Just post pics (or a links to pics) of your personally done top 3 customs and a short explanation as to why they are your favorite of all your body of work. Please I know it may be hard to just choose 3 minis, but we want to keep some order to this thread.

Without further ado, here are my top 3 customs:

(click links for pics)

03) Zombiemate:This guy was my submission for the Monstermate for Blood charity. It was some of my most creative designing and execution. The exposed skull, forearm and spinal cord/ rib cage was pretty ingenious. The 3 dimesionality of it is (in my opinion) far better looking than the painted on bones that AA/DST did with their Marvel Zombies.

02) Annihilus: At the time I made Annihilus, he was (and still is) one of the more complex minimate customs of mine. His chest cover alone consisted of 10 individual pieces. It took a lot of patience to cut and glue all the spikes and collar to the covering. The Pokemon Charizard wings were the perfect find and turning his cosmic rod on the lathe was a pain in the ass. But in the end, it was all worth it.

03) Arnim Zola: This Guy ranks number 1 cause he was the most complicated minimate custom to build and I'm just speaking of his head box. His body was pretty simple, repaint here, repaint there. The head box was another story all together. Believe it or not, AZ's head was made from a piece of plastic called delrin and designed and machined on a computerized milling machine. A program was made to mill out the dimensions of the head block and add 3 holes to it (2 for the antennae and 1 for a modified minimate head piece). I wanted AZ's head to be as movable and removable like a standard minimate head. So I turned the diameter and height of a MM head on a lathe to make a plug with a still working neck joint hole. This plug was then permanently inserted into the 3rd hole of the head block. And voila, Arnim Zola was born. Now you can see why he's my number one custom to date.

1)Namor: because he's 100% quick custom (and i've just stuck mr spocks head on him from the star trek wave 1 and he looks even better, pic being posted when i update the website

2)Nitro: 90% quick custom and the main reason for everything thats happened in the marvel universe for the past 16 months

3)My infected/zombies from 28 days later because they were so much fun to make and look cool

http://www.funkywinkerbean.pwp.blueyonder....les/Page315.htm

I dont think I've really done enough customs to have a top 3 but my #1 fave is my man-thing he really came out better than I had hoped #2 would be Thor (just love his hammer) and Dr Strange in at #3 he was my first true custom

It was definitely a struggle to choose just 3, because even if I'm not too happy with how well the final result came out with many of my customs, they were all really fun to make :biggrin: . If I had to pick again on another day I'd probably come up with another top 3, but here we go;

3. Plastic man is in there, despite me not being too happy with the paint job or the neatness of the modelling on it. Basically I like him because he's fun and a bit different.

PlasticMan.jpg

2. I like how most of my Smallville Minimates came out, but Green Arrow especially, as I probably spent the most time on him. He has a bit of a resemblance to the actor, and the costume just transferred very well to blocky Minimate form.

SmallvilleGreenArrow2.jpg

1. Mr. Terrific is a favourite, because I think the character has a neat, cool costume anyway. I spent ages trying to get the 'FAIR PLAY' writing on the sleeves and the 'Terrific' on the back, and I'm pleased with how the face expression came out too. Also, it's good to have more members to my JSA.

Mr.jpg

I have to say that all of my customs are my favorites, but if I had to pick the top 3 I am most proud of:

Minimate_Custom_She_Hulk_by_jcastick.jpg

3. Commissioned She-Hulk - I chose this one because it just came out so well, and was my first commissioned mate that I have done.

Minimate_Illuminated_Tron_by_jcastick.jp

2. Tron - This was from the movie mate contest, this one took quite a bit of time to get all of the details painted on him, plus I think he just looks cool Illuminated :)

Minimate_KC_Flash_by_jcastick.jpg

1. Kingdom Come Flash - This was my first Transparent custom and just became my favorite mate the minute he was finished.

3 Mike Meekins He just ended up looking actually like I had pictured, and I managed to finish him in two days.

2 Rikishiman Other than the fact he ended up horribly discolored he looks rather character accurate, and he's fun to play with.

1 Phoenix Wright Only for the fact he ended up my cleanest looking custom.

I'm doing an update to my Mario so I think he'll be knocking Phoenix off his spot soon.

Great idea for a topic! Here are mine:

3. Sauron

sauron1.jpg

I am very proud of how I created the wings to be able to bend with his arms. It took alot of time and effort, and it was well worth it.

2. Jason Voorhees

jasonmm1.jpg

I think I captured a good balance of cute and gory with this minimate, and I made a ton of extra accessories for him. He is one of my favorite minimates in my collection.

1. T-1000

T1000t.gif

Click to view larger image

This was my most time-consuming minimate ever. I went through five heads before I got the hole right. He has even more accessories than Jason, and part-swapping has never been so much fun.

Luke, you never cease to amaze me! These are awesome!

Yay! I get to pat my back!

All three of mine are of my most recent work.

3. Optimus Prime

He was really the start of my most recent customs, which I feel were a vast improvement over my past work.

minimusprime5.jpg

2. Mr. Rictus

I just loved how everything came together with this guy. The DC Joker was prefect fodder for, well, a Joker ripoff.

MrMinimus1.jpg

1. Red Son Batman

Again, everything really came together how I wanted it. I was worried for a minute on how to do the excess shirt that sticks out under the belt, but I found a Dr. Doom skirt I forgot I even had, and was just able to cut it short. Then the BD Batman face just worked great for the Red Son world's dirtier Batman. And before I started the custom, I got to see what happens if you cut one of the new style cowls to look like one of the old style ones. It didn't line up with the face at all!

BatmanCom3.jpg

3. Comic Hellboy:

hellboy-001.jpg

I've seen a few other good ones, some that I really didn't care for, but none (to me) really captured Mike Mignola's artwork. I copied the face & chest directly from the comic, and as humble as I am, I think I outdid myself in that aspect. And, thanks to Luke for scultping the horn stumps for me!! (The tail in the picture is a Photoshop paste of the Mezco Comic HB figure's...now, he's got a Nightcrawler tail, sans "triangle".)

2. Apocalypse:

apocalypse-001.jpg

I don't know whether it was the Ghost Rider shoulder pads & "neck brace" or using Mariko's head for the flesh color, or how I drew the face, but I just love looking at this guy on my shelf, and actually prefer it over the official one that's coming out soon, and that's rare...

1. Metallo:

metallo-001.jpg

I created him in a manner of hours, inspired by a sleepless mistake I made in a PM with Graham, coincidentally just in time to enter the villain contest. I love his simplicity and the light-piped chest (no, that's not Photoshopping in the picture!!). :D