UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

drgnrbrn316's 198+ Customs

Glad someone liked the figure. I've been having a motivation problem of late. My customs never seem to garnish the interest of the board members as much as some of the more popular customizers. I know I'm not on the level of them, but its nice to hear a few words of encouragement, support, or constructive criticism. Of course, it hasn't helped my mood to see my ranking fall gradually from 5 stars to 3. :(

I hear ya drgnrbn316. I do enjoy your figures especially the Marvel Zombies, makes me wanna go read the comic.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the great comments guys. It really means a lot. I realize now that maybe people like my stuff better than I convinced myself that they did. I'm sure we all have those moments of self doubt, but with great people like you guys here to help uplift a guy, it just reminds me of what a great place the multiverse is.

You've all convinced me not to hang up the paintbrush and xacto knife and keep at it. I know I'm not the greatest, and that my stuff may not get the most votes or the most comments, but I have fans out there that like my work, and I like my work too, and that's all that really matters. Thanks guys.

whats this stuff about stars?? i dont have any stars??

btw i love the use of ghost riders jacket!!!

but seriously Drgnbrn your stuff is great. You pull characters out of obscurity and make some really great customs out of them... hell i have to look up who they are sometimes but the work you do is really impressive.

i still want to know about these stars...

Helmet comes from the pilot Batman figure. I cut off the oxygen mask part, trimmed around the open face area a bit, then popped in a LEGO helmet visor upsidedown (for some reason, it looked better that way, though I can't for the life of me figure out how). You'll definitely want to have the helmet on a minimate head when you put that visor on, because it will compact the helmet. Not sure exactly how long you have to leave that helmet on before the visor accepts its new shape.

I may not be the best customizer on the board, but apparently I can whip up a good hat. :lol:

I may not be the best customizer on the board, but apparently I can whip up a good hat. :lol:

Hey man, you made Deadpool, you HAVE to be one of the best. Speaking of which, could you take a shot without all the holsters?

That's a sweet helmet. Gonna have to do one my self.. :)

The helmet and shoes make a difference. Why AA why?!?!

Yeah, that's the question I've been asking myself about a lot of their choices of late. I understand the no cycle for Ghost Rider, but why no mask for Wolvie, why no Helmet for Speed, why no paint details on the sides of darn near every figure since Wave 8 if not earlier? I'll be fixing some more in the near future, as I'll probably need a break after working on my variant Spidey and Wolvie for Civil War.

Oh, and I'll try to add some more Deadpool pics in the next update.

god i rly need 2 get my customs of the young avengers finished!!!! how did u put the straps on captin-a's shield they look so good i wanna do it for the patriot :D and wot do u use for sculpting? i use this stuff called fymo but its not good 4 doing hair what shud i b using? and last but not least, have u tried using a rotering pen ( i think thats how u spell it) for the line work???

jolly :D

Cap's shield straps are actually the remains of a web sack from the Unmasked Spider-Man. I essentially shaved off the web sack, leaving a thin layer of the backpack left, then cut a hole in it, inserting a peg that the shield could attach to.

In regards to sculpting, I'm presently using Sculpey, as its the easiest thing to find in most any hobby store. I'd like to switch to Kneaditite (Green Stuff) or Milliput, but availability has been an issue. With Sculpey, you have to bake, boil, or otherwise cure the product upon completion of sculpting, which is rather difficult given the tacky nature of the stuff when its still uncured. That other stuff is supposed to be a 2-part epoxy which air dries in a few hours, thus making the bulk of the work much easier. You'll find people that swear by each of the products and probably a dozen other ones I've never heard of.

For line detailing, I've been using a Sharpy ultra-fine marker, but I have problems getting the ink to come out sometimes. When this happens, I can find myself digging into the paint, plastic, or sculpted parts of my custom (most obvious on my Iron Man custom's waist area) I'm always up for improving my own work, so I'll definitely look into that pen you mentioned Jolly.

Happened during Civil War #3 in a very forgettable moment. After snagging Cap's shield, he goes invisible for a moment before reappearing and nailing several people with the shield. I'd have liked to make transparent arms on his back, but I can't figure that puzzle out as of yet. Perhaps BD Cap's shield as an accessory. I'm a sucker for accessories.

Civil War continues with two variants and another set from Wave 3.

First, Wolverine shows some skin, or lack thereof in the Nitro Blast Wolverine variant.

Second, the X-Men join the battle lines as Cyclops and Bishop square off.

Finally, Cyclops nears his breaking point in the Overcharged Cyclops variant.

Future updates to include the battle for leadership of SHIELD, as Nick Fury takes on Maria Hill, Ms. Marvel will hunt down Arachne, Black Panther and his lovely bride Storm survey the battle, and Frank Castle makes his triumphant return to the Marvel Universe. All this, plus Thing, Sentry, Black Widow, Tigra, and many more make their presense known.