UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

iPhone

neolego

To Audience:

Hello, I'm neolego

Audience Reaction:

Hello neolego

Allow me to explain my ordeal. I am completely against the Apple iPhone in every way. It is 1st Generation so it is bound to be buggy, it doesn't support 3G, it has no Flash for the Camera or Video capabilites, it only comes in 4 and 8 gigs, and it is extrememly TOO EXPENSIVE. *phew* Except, the only problem is I want one....I want one bad.

Audience Reaction:

*sigh*

Ok, in all honestly, what the crap is the matter with me. I know I don't need an iPhone, and in the long run it's going to cost much more than it's probably worth. However, I feel I HAVE TO HAVE IT. I'm thinking of ways to sell my current phone of ebay to help raise money. Man, I really need help, lol. I'm so dang conservative with money except for Minimate and Technology.

So, did any of you guys pick up an iPhone? If you did, please share the details......and if you didn't, I may have one before too long :). neo

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, in all honestly, what the crap is the matter with me. I know I don't need an iPhone, and in the long run it's going to cost much more than it's probably worth. However, I feel I HAVE TO HAVE IT. I'm thinking of ways to sell my current phone of ebay to help raise money. Man, I really need help, lol. I'm so dang conservative with money except for Minimate and Technology.

:lol: That's pretty much me. I've been spending obscene amounts of money lately and eventually caved in and started to sell a few rare extras. :( I now even sell at a flea market so my time has been limited. Why? becuase I had to have it. Not that I'm in need of cash, just want to soften the blow. Still haven't hooked it up though because I'm waiting for 1 more month on my verizon contract to expire. I was in love with it since seing it at Mac World. It's one of those hype gadgets everyone needs.

Being Apple's first phone I expected it to have it's flaws and I'll welcome version 2.0. Still surprised that they didn't wait a little longer if need be to have 3G. Gah I can't believe the damn thing can't highlight or copy/paste! It's one of my beefs with Windows Smartphones. I'm at least hoping Apple provides some updates to improve the experience. You also can't use it as a flash drive! Even with all it's shortcomings I think it's a great start for apple. If you have borderline interest about getting one, just wait for 2.0.

Have you guys checked your AT&T network in your area? If not, I'd strongly suggest doing so. Ask if they have a 'test drive' month like Verizon does. At&t brags about having great coverage & the fewest dropped calls, but in my area (Omaha NE) I had horrible service. Holes in coverage everywhere, dropped calls, etc. (Stuck with them thru my initial contract plus a couple of years for phone upgrades.) Switched to Verizon here in Feb and haven't dropped a call since. (I'm pretty pleased with my LG EnV btw. Nifty phone if you need to text at all and works great for web applications.)

I actually have AT&T now, I live in the Metroplex area of Dallas-Fort Worth, and I always have great coverage. I know their Internet service is shoddy, but the phone service is fine. neo

I think I'll wait this one out. I've never been crazy about Mac products. Even my MP3 player is not an iPod because I don't like them.

When something a little more universal is available, I will pick it up.

I want one but wasn't gonna drop the $ for it. Plus I'm stuck with Sprint right now so I have a Moto Q. I really like it.

JL, you can always get an app that'll let you copy paste but I'm sure you already know that.

Different providers work differently depending on your area. Most do a decent job in metro cities. I've been an AT&T customer for 16 years and never have had a problem and can't remember when I droppped a call last. (Currently have a family plan with corporate discount) My current full-time phone is with Verizon and while service hasn't been terrible, I have gotten quite a few dropped calls. In some areas it's a pain to get service. I know some people that have had it the other way around. Coverage is never the same with each provider.

I want one but wasn't gonna drop the $ for it. Plus I'm stuck with Sprint right now so I have a Moto Q. I really like it.

JL, you can always get an app that'll let you copy paste but I'm sure you already know that.

I here ya man, I've got a Moto Q too! You have to get the Opera Mini browser to get faster web page downloads though. The little guy has been very useful.

See that's another problem with the iphone. The source code is it still under wraps and as of now no additional applications are available that I know of besides what in the package. Apple is keeping it secured and won't allow it for now. I'm hoping Apple provides some type of update for this cut/paste problem. Bummer for now. :( Supposedly Steve Jobs said if an application is not done correctly that is can bring down the AT&T network, not sure how much truth there is to it. For a device like this, they are going to have to open it up to outside developers sometime.

I have one and it's the best thing I have ever purchased. Seriously. I had bugs on the internet browser once, I restarted the phone and it works great now. E-Mail is awesome, Internet is f*cking amazing. It's FULL internet browsing not just text. The iPod function is mind blowing. Kills any blackberry I have ever owned.

I have a MacBook Pro, I have a G5 Tower, I have an iPod and I love them all. iPhone for me was just kinda...perfect.

3G...My thoughts:

at&t spent several million to boost their EDGE network. 3G is between 280-380/400 kbps. After the boost made by at&t, EDGE is reporting upwards of 290kbps. It previously was 40kbps. And another thing, the phone had to be small. You really can't put everything everything in to a phone and expect it to remain the smallest "smart phone" ever made. Jobs admitted this. Besides, EDGE is faster for email than 3G.

My Favorite "function" of the phone isn't any one thing on there. The Fact that it is SO easy to use. That's what I like the best. I know the phone inside and out and I have never read an instruction manual.

Dang you Cloneme - - - Go Smack yourself.

I need someone to tell me that the iPhone sucks and it's just a passing phase. Now, thanks to your post, I'm going to start my daily giving of blood so I can slowly.....and painfully ;).........earn the money........

Way. To. Go. :P neo

I have one and it's the best thing I have ever purchased. Seriously.

Real quick dude, what model did you get? I know that the 8gig is the better choice (duh), but $100 is $100. I'm thinking that if I do raise the money for one, I might have to settle for the 4gig. neo

Dang you Cloneme - - - Go Smack yourself.

I need someone to tell me that the iPhone sucks and it's just a passing phase. Now, thanks to your post, I'm going to start my daily giving of blood so I can slowly.....and painfully ;).........earn the money........

Way. To. Go. :P neo

...Sorry?

:biggrin:

Real quick dude, what model did you get? I know that the 8gig is the better choice (duh), but $100 is $100. I'm thinking that if I do raise the money for one, I might have to settle for the 4gig. neo

Buy the 8GB or nothing if you are. Unlike the nanos, some of the space is taken up by the OS. So it's more like 7.X GB of space available for everything else. A movie alone can take up 1GB+. I got the 8GB for that reason alone. Just a recommendation.

Thanks for the Tip JL, I know you are right.........but $100 is such a HUGE difference :). neo

If you're gonna spend serious money on a new toy you might as well do it properly.

As for the iPhone, for some reason I'm seemingly immune to it, yes it's a good idea in theory to have everything in one device but there something about apple products that rub me up the wrong way... maybe after they streamline all the inevitable bumps out of it I'll take a look.

Besides I'm probably just bitter that I'm stuck with my 'standard issue' & brick like Treo650 as email/phone device from work.

T.

You don't have to be stuck with Sprint if you don't want to be. Just complain to their customer service people until they drop you.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Inves....aspx?GT1=10221

My sides hurt from laughing so much...that is so funny. Obviously I don't complain enough.

Buy the 8GB or nothing if you are. Unlike the nanos, some of the space is taken up by the OS. So it's more like 7.X GB of space available for everything else. A movie alone can take up 1GB+. I got the 8GB for that reason alone. Just a recommendation.

To comment on what everyones been saying about bumps and glitches, a great thing about the iPhone is that all software updates will be free. So when they do work out the glitches....you download the patches or new software fo free.

Anyway. I bought the 8GB model. In for a penny in for a pound. The OS takes up about 799 MB give or take, so it leaves you with 7.27 GB OR on the smaller one: 3.27 GB.

Yeah, that post above was from my iPhone. (I'm on my computer currently)

The iPhone won't work for long, drawn out posts, which I so frequently take part of. But, for quick hits it's nice. However, the browsing is amazing. I'm offically hooked!! I LOVE it. If anyone has any questions for any of us iPhone users, don't hesitate to ask. neo

JL, you in the club too? Pretty sweet huh?

Anyone experiencing technical difficulties yet? Like I said I restarted mine once and it's been great since.

Yup, I had to have one. ;) I'm kind of a phone geek.

Still using my Q for a couple of weeks though. :( (I hate contracts!) I've been using my girls just about everyday. I've hooked her up to WiFi, Bluetooth, Configured Email Accounts, Contacts, and loaded a couple of movies with no trouble at all. Besides all the goodies, what I'm most impressed about is the battery life, it's awesome! It keeps going, going, going, going. :P

I can Echo that JL. Get this, I fully charged the thing overnight Saturday into Sunday. Then I took it to Church with me on Sunday. I can't tell you how many people wanted to check it out. Everytime they came around I showned them how it plays music and video, how it services the web, the weather, the google maps, and the youtube link. At the end of the day I was sure it was going to be dead, and to my HUGE suprise is had more than half the battery left. I can honestly say it's amazing in every way :). neo

Just thought I'd chime in again real quick. 5 days and counting and I'm still completely amazing my this little device. It kind of reminds of of the first time I played Nintendogs on the Nintendo DS. I was so amazed with what the little DS could do. Now, it's like Deja Vu. The iPhone is amazing. In fact, the last few nights I have just surfed the web from my couch on the iPhone rather than get up and go to the office in my house, just cause the browser is that dang sweet.

There are a few things that I've ran across that I don't quite understand why they are not there. The biggest is the Ring Tone feature. You have a full iPod integrated into your phone, yet you still have to use generic pre-loaded chimes and tones. To me, that is a little weak. However, I have hope that Apple will correct this on the next firmware upgrade.

As for the "bugs" that have been found, I can't say that I've had a problem with the phone. My phone hasn't froze on my once. All in all, this has been one of the best investments of my young life.......and I've only had it for 5 days!! Can't recommend this thing enough, I will never be satisfied with any other cell phone, the iPhone is the future. neo