UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Wave 19 and 20: Thoughts?

Jatta Pake

In the event that Series 19 isn't an Avenger wave, then I'd go with X-Men (I'd love to say "Spiderman villans", but I'm holding hopes for a Sinister Six boxset or "Cosmic Classics" like: Adam Warlock, Nova, Drax, Inhumans,etc.). While I'm not a big fan of X-Men past the early 80's, there are a few holes that I'd personally like to fill (again, no particular order or pairing):

Angel ( With a "red/white" Champions version as the variant)

Beast (As much as I usually don't care for so many versions, it seems odd that of all the Beasts we've received, we've never gotten the "true" quinessential "classic 616" version. This particular look is universal to X-Men, Avengers, Champions, etc.)

Banshee

Sunfire

Gambit (We saw the control-art yeeeaaars ago...what happened?)

Psylocke ( I never really cared for the character, but well, see above ^; alot of people do.)

Phoenix ( We never got that "green/yellow" version like we thought from Target.)

Villans, villans, villans! For all the possibilities, this team is sorely lacking in villans. Until a "Brotherhood of evil mutants" set happens I'll suggest for starters:

Sabretooth (For all the Wolverines produced, how is it that we never got a classic 616 Sabretooth?!)

Toad ( Again, shown in control-art a loooong time ago!)

Pyro

Avalanche

Mr. Sinister

Besides a Brotherhood Boxset, I'd still really like to see a "Classic" original X-Men boxset someday (much like ToyBiz's old 5" box, but with a classic Magneto as well).

Back on topic. I'm hoping that 19 or 20 proves to be an Avenger(616) follow-up series. My picks (in no particular order or pairing)are:

Hawkeye (He missed the first-cut, but now that DCD's Green Arrow has been produced, most of the accessories are good to go.)

Vision (Again, sorely missed the cut. A "phasing" or "white" version could fill the variant requirement.)

Tigra (Check-out DCD's Cheetah and tell me she's not do-able.)

Black Panther (We're getting a "zombified" version this Summer, seems logical that a classic version would make this series.)

Giant-Man (See above ^. Granted, ideally he would be at least 3" or >, but "Hey, these are Marvelmates".)

Wasp (Ditto ^. Sure, a "zombified-head" doesn't qualify as a simple retool, but fan-demand is there.)

Iron Man (I have a "sneaking suspicion" that a cleaned-up "pointy-helmet zombie" I.M. will be released...Cool!)

Honorable Mentions (i.e. personal choices!):

Black Knight ( Retool a Dr. Fate helmet, throw-in Ares' sword, Cap's gloves, Hawkeye's boots(?), a Doom-ish cape and tunic, paint and call it a

day!)

Hercules (Thor needs someone to 'rassle with!)

Black Widow ( A simple figure to produce. She's been an Avenger, lover/ally of Daredevil, has connections with Nick Fury and if paired with

Hercules, would serve "subliminally" as a Champions set!!)

Moon Knight ( I'm throwing him in the mix simply because I always liked his costume. After playing with DCD's Spectre, it's apparent that his cowl

combined with D.D.'s billy-clubs, a blank white body tampoed, and a cape=neat. Besides, he has his own comic.)

Ms. Marvel/Warbird (Easily made with existing molds, looks great, and ties-in with classic and contemporary Avengers.)

What? Where are the villans you say? After all my bitching in other threads, I nearly forgot! How about:

Ultron ( With the likliness of Iron Man and/or Giant-Man, this seems like a grand opportunity.)

Taskmaster ( All of the accessory molds exist: shield, sword, bow, pistol and leg-holster, gloves, cape, cowl. Pairing him with Hawkeye would be

an awesome "first appearance" set, however, that's an a$$load of accessories between the two of them...they might need to be

separated!)

Baron Zemo ( A removable mask to show his jacked-up face would be "uber" cool.)

the hawkeye and taskmaster set would be the same as the green arrow deathstroke set because they are the marvel and dc counter parts, so it could be doable

PERFECT WAVE: Thunderbolts.

It's a Superhero team made of villains. There's a hero and villain wave made into one.

Bullseye/Penace

Mac Gargan Venom/Radioactive Man

Norman Osborn/Songbird

VARIANT: Green Goblin/Songbird

What? No Zemo? Madness!

I hope 19 and 20 are comic related and not movie related.

However, and here's me being a pessimist- DST will probably figure this would be a good time to roll out some FF Rise of the Surfer themed Mates.

You know, to coincide with the release of the film.

Last month.

I remember seeing once in one of the Q & A's that DST said they don't plan to ever release an all villain wave, or even a two pack with only villains. The following will feature a question, followed by the same question as it appears in my head...

what about a wave with 3 heroes and 3 villains.... each pack being a villain/hero 2 pack.... theres always hope B)

This is exactly how I have always envisioned the "perfect" Minimate line! The "yin to the yan", if you will. DCD got off to a great start and Marvel occasionally throws us a bone, but somewhere along the line it seems to lose it's balance. Don't get me wrong, recognizable allies are always welcome (for example: Booster Gold/ Blue Beetle, Powerman/ Iron Fist, Joker/ Harley Quin, etc. worked very well), but honestly, who wouldn't have preferred say: Capt. America/ Red Skull(or even C.A./Falcon for that matter), IronMan/ TitaniumMan(or Mandarin, etc.), Wolverine/ Sabretooth, etc. than the pairings we received in the past? Variations of costumes (like: Spiderman, Wolverine, Batman, etc.)and fellow team-mates(allies) could then be utilized more effectively paired with a new villan (as many heroes have a large gallery of enemies). It just frustrates me to look at my collection of multiple Spiderman, Wolverine, Thing variations and wonder why I don't at least have a more fleshed-out Sinister Six, Brotherhood, etc. (Honestly, how many Venom variations were neccessary?). It's for this very reason that I tend to harshly critique the Marvel line. Not for spite, ingratitude, etc. for what we receive, but rather passion for the plethora of characters (and more importantly, villans) that we do not receive after many trying-years of 'Mate collecting. Hopefully, DST realizes the error of their ways and re-evaluate their Marvel line (DCD may have "lit a fire under their a$$e$"!), or in the very least, play "catch-up" with some great specialty-market boxsets( Sinister Six, Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, etc.)!

AMEN!!!!

Hmm. I'd like to see modern Avengers from the current runs in New and Mighty. Great excuse to put out a new version of black-suit Spider-Man as well as Ms. Marvel, and Ares. A new-design Iron Man would also fit here as well as a decent Luke Cage (without the "gray hair" and fu-manchu). Round it out with Black Widow. Variant would also be easy as the blonde Widow (not that a "construction worker" Ares would be un-appreciated).

Doom has to weigh in on this villain question. First of all the whole question of "heroes" and "villains" stems from an entirely relativistic point of view.... I mean if I oppress and maintain a state of terror over... let's say the citizens of Latveria, with my... purely hypothetical... blindly obediant army of killer robots; would that make me a villain.... Don't answer that.

Seriously though, it is time there was appropriate villain representation in the Marvel line. That being said, I'll throw my two cents in, both in what I would like to see from the next two lines, and how to make them, like Latveria's answer to Fox News: Doom News, Fair and Ballanced.

Wave 19: Avengers Wave 2: Electric Boogaloo

* Ultron/Vision

* Kang/Hawkeye

* Giant Man/Wasp

* Variant - Ant Man/Wasp

While not as exactly ballanced as I might have implied above, this wave is chocked full of characters we want, with 2 high profile villains, and 2 characters (ok 1 character and a head) which will have already been produced in zombie form, and if they want to be even cheaper, substitute Black Panther for Hawkeye (I don't know if DCD and DST can share pieces or how that works... but I would think painting Green Arrow's accessories purple would make Hawkeye an easier product to release)

Wave 20: HULK WANT MORE 'MATES

* Abomination/Powerhouse Hulk

* General Thaddeus "Thunderbolt" Ross/Doc Leonard Sampson

* Big Brainy Leader/Rick Jones

the variant could actually be a number of choices for Mr. Jones:

* Rick Jones as Bucky

OR

* Captain Mar-Vell (you know since they had to switch places in the Negative Zone)

OR they could just pull what they did with the Sentry and have a long haired variant and a short haired standard

Assuming, for whatever reason, we do not get a Powerhouse Hulk in the Defenders pack, one needs to come out, and who better to pair a big-chested Hulk with, than a big-chested Abomination. Thunderbolt Ross is such a mainstay of the Hulk Universe: heroic, but not a hero; villainous, but not a villain: just a man with a job to do for Uncle Sam. And who doesn't want a long-green-haired Doc Sampson minimate to round out the rest of our favorite gamma powered friends and foes.... and just think, whenever DST gets around to releasing X-Factor Minimates, we can have Doc psychoanalyse all of those nutballs.... especially Quicksilver. Everyone knows the key mistake for the last Leader minimate was the chice of the "big forehead" version of Sam Sterns. Since its release, I have been hoping that DST would remedy their mistake and release a new version with bi-lobed, veiny, brainy goodness... and preferably a better facial expression. Rick Jones is a key normal human character for not only the Hulk franchise, but for Captain America, Captain Mar-Vell, and of course, the Teen Brigade <crickets chirp> ...... anyone..... ok forget the Teen Brigade, my point is still valid. Also at the rate that the Marvel 'mates are coming out, wave 20 should be just in time for the new Incredible Hulk movie, now's the time to plan on jumping on that bandwagon, even if DST doesn't (as I pray they don't) make this a Hulk movie wave, just as they did with Hulk and Daredevil in wave 1. In any case it would be better than waiting for months after the movie is fogotten and the DVD is collecting dust on our shelves <cough Ghost Rider cough X3 cough Spider-man 3 cough> sorry, must be coming down with something. :whistling:

*EDIT* Having just seen Boyd's new custom Brainy Leader and Doc Sampson minimates, I stand even more firmly by what I have written... they are simply awesome, and I suggest everyone go and check them out.

The Perfect Waves for me:

Wave #19 - Avengers Part 2

* Vision/Hawkeye

* Ant Man/Wasp

* Black Widow/ Black Panther

** Chase Yellowjacket / Giant Man / Vision Version B

Wave #20 - Xmen

* Gambit / Psylocke

* Forge / Banshee

* Angel / Havok

** Chase Archangel

im hoping for an "arch enemy" wave

pair a classic cap with red skull

modern or 90's ironman with mandarin

hulk with abomination

variant: hulk and scarred abomination

come on dst this would be the easiest wave ever! repaint of cap, use a military like uniform (srgt. rock and black bird!) for red skull, repaint the zombie ironman, but youd need some kind of sculpting for mandarin, but you can use admril cains hair! give hulk a 2.5 chest peice, and youd need a little sculpting on abomination, but after the "no new parts" waves 12 and 13, we need new parts!!!!!

Someone over at the Raving Toy Maniac forum cryptically hinted that we may see the following in the waves 19 and 20:

Ultron

Abomination

Apocolypse

Mysterio

Vision

Hawkeye

ArchAngel

Someone screwing around? Or a leak from someone in the know? Thoughts?

I predict wave 19 and 20 prototypes will go on display at SDCC. Who would you like to see?

Sounds like someone's dream list, too much so... it's someone screwing around or I'll eat my pimp hat ;)

T.

We already have seen Ady eat a hat for something like this, so get out the fork and knife Timbo. I'm holding you to this.