UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

so, here's a question about DC mates

TM2 Dinobot

I don't know if this has been brought up, but when the C3 mates were out, for the most part they seemed to be based on their JLU/Timmverse incarnations. Granted, there were exceptions, Cassandra, The Batman. But for the most part it seemed to all flow well. Not with the DCD Minis, they seem to be based more on the comics rather then the show. There are characters who never even have been in the show, and the paint apps are very much comic book based. So my question is will we see "theme" waves like with the Marvel ones? And depending on that, will we ever see the return of the animated style Minimates?

Yeah I've wondered about this. Personally I prefer the comic style, but when characters like Martian Manhunter and Flash aren't being re-made (soon, anyway) in comic style, they look a little inconsistent when next to the rest of the Justice League, which is a bit annoying. Weird thing is, the Jon Stewart who was a preview for the DCD Mates is in the animated style.

I'd like to see some theme waves in the future, or even special boxed sets like they've done with Marvel, but I think for new they're just establishing the DCD Mates by keeping the appeal broad.

From what I've read online and in Toyfare in years past the DC C3 line was split into 3 categories. The first consisted of characters based of the Batman comic books (lots of detail):

- Dark Knight Batman with Batmobile

- Mini batmobile with Robin and Batman

- Cat Woman and Batman with batglider

- Heavy Assault Batman, Joker and Bruce Wayne with batcave

- Blue Batman w/ mini-flyer

- The Riddler w/ mini-flyer

- Cassandra Cain Batgirl w/ mini-flyer

- Nightwing w/ mini-flyer

- Batwing with Batman

The second was based on JLU animated series (not too much facial or musculature detail):

- Superman and Darkseid with throne room

- Batman and Joker with chemical warehouse

- Javelin mini-flyer with Martian Manhunter and the Flash

- Flash w/ mini-flyer

- Justice Lords Superman w/ mini-flyer

The third was based on "The Batman" animated series ( you could tell by character design and logo on the boxes)

- Batcopter with Batman

- Batcycle with Batman and Man-Bat

- Stealth Batwing with pilot Batman and Bruce Wayne

Weird thing is, the Jon Stewart who was a preview for the DCD Mates is in the animated style.

Well, that's really a yes-and-no kinda thing. While that style costume was first introduced in the Justice League cartoon show, it was shortly thereafter adapted into the comics when John got his new ring, cured his "self-inflicted" paralysis, and joined the JLA. This being the case, except for maybe the eyes, I'm more inclined to believe that it's based on his current comic book appearance.

And some of the C3 mates are in the animated style even if they were never in the show. Nightwing, Robin, Cassandra and Catwoman all leap to mind. Their costumes may differ but their faces are very animated style.

Not that I don't like the comic book style, I just prefer this over this.

Yeah, I'm kinda in two minds.

I'd love to see more characters from The Batman as they're mostly very different to the comic characters. The JLU ones are mostly similar to their comic versions with a little less detail, so I'm a bit less bothered.

I'd prefer a white t-shirt Supergirl though.

Jo

And some of the C3 mates are in the animated style even if they were never in the show. Nightwing, Robin, Cassandra and Catwoman all leap to mind. Their costumes may differ but their faces are very animated style.

Hey TM2, did you read my paragraph above? All the Batman characters you mentionned are not based off the animated versions of these characters, but rather their comic book versions.

Here's more proof: Look at the PROOF!

Hey TM2, I don't doubt you or anything, but do you HAVE the DCD Batman? It is a hell of a lot sweeter in person than pictures let on. The face is much better.