UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Lego Batman

Punisher

post-953-1174926985_thumb.jpgHere's a picture of Hal Jordan in Robins boat

post-953-1174927057_thumb.jpgThis is Minimate Joker vs Lego Batman

post-953-1174927153_thumb.jpg This is OMAC in the small Batmobile

post-953-1174927184_thumb.jpg Luthor atop the Penguin boat

post-953-1174927218_thumb.jpg Superman next to the ladder

post-953-1174927289_thumb.jpg Batman trying to fit inside the Quick-Change chamber.

post-953-1174927322_thumb.jpg Comparison Shot

So basically, I think the minimates are not compatible with Lego.

I'm not sure if the Batcave is the true benchmark in Lego/Minimate scale. Those miniboat vehicles are more throwaway and aren't really characteristic of the characters (does Killer Crock use a boat?), so any scale issues with them is inconsequential (to me, anyway). I'm reserving final judgment until I see Minimate Batman driving the Lego Batmobile, Lego Batwing, Lego Batcopter, or even the Lego Batboat.

Though Lego buildings are generally smaller in scale than what would work best for Minimates, as has been said before, they work as a good take-off point for custom building. Arkham and the Batcave can be modified for larger characters easily.

Here's the deal. When designing the Batman line, LEGO did use minimates as part of the 'inspiration'. They also used the comics, animated series, Mattel lines, etc. Just because the Mattel figures were used as part of the design process doesn't mean a DCSH Batman is going to fit inside a LEGO Batmobile straight out of the box. You'll need to be creative and modify it to fit.

About the only LEGO that might fit straight out of the box is the UCS Batmobile. Even that, I believe, is out of scale for minimates. Unfortunately I didn't take my 'mates with me when I went to consult on the LEGO line (I still kick myself on a regular basis for not thinking of it in advance). I think it is closer to fitting the microman Batman figure than it is to fitting a minimate.

Another option is the 1:18 Hotwheels Batmobile. If you take off the feet from a 'mate, they will fit and actually look pretty good in the cockpit of the car. The cockpit will close - unlike an attempt with an unmodded LEGO set.

Most of the Lego vehicles can be modified very easily to allow Minimate occupation. Here's the basic Batmobile.

batmobile1.jpg

Obviously the Minimates don't fit in the basic construction. But if you remove the steering wheel and the little backrest jobby...

batmobile2.jpg

..he fits just fine. You might need to add a couple tiles to allow enough height for the canopy to clear his ears but that's easy.

batwing.jpg

He fits in the Batwing without modification, but again you can get a more polished look if you add a few tiles.

batskate.jpg

Same goes for the Bat-Skate vehicle that comes with the Batcave.

The UCS Batmobile is a different story entirely. It just looks silly... but in a good way. I love putting Minimates in overscaled vehicles. It really enhances the childlike aesthetic.

ucs1.jpg

ucs2.jpg

Microman doesn't fit to well in the UCS Batmobile either, but he's definitely closer than Minimates.

ucs_microman.jpg

The greatest thing about Lego is you don't have to follow the smeggin' instructions. Build what you want. Modify it, tweak it, have fun with it. That's why it comes in 400 pieces. That's the point of Lego. If you just want a Batmobile that you can't change, go to Mattel. You'll even get a more accurate representation. Lego is fun because you build it.

Damn soapbox. Where'd that come from? :biggrin:

Thanks for the great pics Ivan! Great demonstration of how it doesn't take much modification to get 'mates to fit. You've also answered my question about the UCS Batmobile too. (It's still sitting in the box unbuilt. I had time to put together the smaller vehicle sets, but not the UCS, Cave or Arkham. :( )

Do you honestly think that a little kid will be able to modify lego to fit the minimates? It's hard enough with the instructions.

My pictures were in response to punisher who asked if they could fit.

Without modifications, no they can't, and I doubt people have enough time to play around with lego.

Do you honestly think that a little kid will be able to modify lego to fit the minimates? It's hard enough with the instructions.

I've known some pretty smart 'little kids' in my time. Heh, even the dumb ones probably realized that you can make more space by removing a couple interior pieces (steering wheel and back rest). Or that putting one brick on top of another makes the structure taller (for ear clearance). Kids make all sorts of fun stuff with Lego without any instructions. Modifying a cockpit to fit a Minimate should be trivial.

So were mine, don't take it personally. They were also for drgnrbrn316, Reideen1313, and everyone else reading the thread. Yes, even you.

Without modifications, no they can't, and I doubt people have enough time to play around with lego.

According to my tests Batman fits just fine in the Batwing and Bat-Skate thingy (there has to be a better name for that thing...) without modification. Although modification would make it look better.

I don't even know where to begin on the 'no time for Lego' comment. There are tons* of websites devoted to Lego, not to mention the newsgroups, marketplaces, and a huge site dedictated to hosting people's Lego pictures. Those people seem to have time for Lego. Even if someone is not gung-ho over Lego, they still have time to play with their toys, right? Couldn't they use some of that toy-time and experiment with Lego? Spending ten minutes to rearrange a few bricks is not going to kill anyone. (Ingestion aside. :))

Now I know Lego is not for everyone. Not everyone finds joy in building. I just don't understand why people are unwilling to modify a Lego set to make it more to their liking. Again, that's why it comes in pieces. That's why people find it fun.

Okay would someone please get this soapbox out of here. I keep accidentally stepping on it and turning into a Lego shill. :)

*Internetically valid measurement :)

Well, let's look:

does anybody know if the lego batman works well with minimates? I was wondering because there are alot of sets that would be really cool to use with minimates. (such as the batboat)

Punisher didn't say anything about modding or unmodded LEGO - he just asked if LEGO works with 'mates. The answer depends on how you look at it. Both your response - no they won't without modification which apparently you don't have time for - AND Ivan's - yes they will with some minor modifications which are totally worth the effort because they're fun toys designed to be played with and to encourage creativity right out of the box - were correct.

Cool bit of news about Batman and LEGOs is the video game is official for next year. Just like the Star Wars Lego games we will be getting a BATMAN LEGO game that could be a blast.

Funny thing is, I've been keeping my mouth shut about this game since Dec 05. :D It's gonna be great.