UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

WWLA Review

I am already back from WWLA. What can I say? It was underwhelming as a comic convention. Sadly, anyone paying cash could walk right up, buy a ticket, walk in, and be done with it all in 30 Minutes. Anyone who pre-paid for a ticket had to wait in a huge line before entering. Even the VIP entrance stretched for half a block.

The highlight was the DST booth. Giant Minimate posters wall-papered the entire exhibit. Minimates had a HUGE presence. The one draw back was the displayed Minimates, all of which we've seen before. No new Spidey 3 on display. Don't get me wrong, the displayed stuff looks fantastic. And I had no idea Loki had a ponytail! I can't wait for the new stuff. But I was really hoping to see the new Spidey 3 'mates.

I came for the Spidey 3 though and I'll try to get some pictures up tonight at MMHQ.

DST Matt was there, and I'll share some news:

1. DST is allowed to show Spidey 3 stuff now, and in fact, would have had the entire next two waves up for display at WWLA. But Art Asylum took the prototypes back after the New York Comic Con. They were displayed at the Minimates panel (but no pictures were allowed). So DST doesn't have any prototypes to display.

2. The Spidey3 line-up includes Mary Jane and Gwen Stacey. No Aunt May. Matt is doing his best to get us an Aunt May. :)

3. Art Asylum took the Marvel Zombies back after the New York Comic Con too. None were on display. There was BSG Waves 1-3, Rocky Box Set #1, Spidey Box Set, Marvel "Thor" Wave, and a 24 Box Set.

4. I forgot to bring my camera today, or I'd have taken some pics. (I've got a lot on my mind lately).

That's it. Not much more to report. I'll try to take some pictures of the new Spidey3 'mates tonight. From my brief look at the pack Cloneme opened during the convention, they appear to be the same type of plastic as the DC Minimates. They look very nice.

Ahhh ... sweet Minimate bliss ...

TBT is back home...

As JP said it was a hugely underwhelming Con, I actually gave my badge to someone else as I walked out around 1.30 ( the con didn't open until 12) and that includes time talking to a couple of members that I bumped into.

Amusingly all the answer I have for you were shared by JP because we visited the DST booth at same time.

Although I was there a bit earlier and managed to get the scoop on the BSG rosyln/Zarek pack, apprently they did it as an exclusive pack but no one wanted it so it might get moved back into the regular line.

I'll try to get some pix of the exclusive Spidey mates a bit later tonight, but for now I need to find food.

T.

Sucks that AA is sitting on the Spidey 3 stuff. You'd think it be good business to unveil this kinda stuff at some point before the figures come out. When's the last time we got preorders available for stuff we haven't seen yet?

Glad to hear we had ample Multiverse coverage of this event, underwhelming though it may have been. I think some of us board members with no lives need to relocate to the other prominent con locations to keep the information flowing.

Thanks JP and TBT for the news.

Now, here's a question that will probably be settled once pictures surface, but do the new figures feature full wrap around detailing, webs on hand and feet, and/or the cursed hole in the head?

Here's pix of the Spidey 3 mates from WWLA, sorry they arent great but I'm sure you'd rather have quick pix than none? ;)

http://www.geocities.com/thatbloketimbo/DSC03764.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/thatbloketimbo/DSC03765.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/thatbloketimbo/DSC03767.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/thatbloketimbo/DSC03768.JPG

A very short review is very favourable, they are well put together have some great printing, yes the scale goes all the way around, even to the point of being on the inside of the tops of the legs! ther is no hole in the head either.

The box is printed kinda funky too, I'll try to get pix of that up tomorrow.

The only thing that looks different to the pix we've seen so far is that the regular spidey has just grey webbing not black/grey.

Hope these pix help to sooth the cravings of those who dont have these yet :|

T.

WWLA was... anti climactic. I got to play with DST Matt for a bit and chat with jattaPake and TBT. All good and fun. Not too much to report however. LOVE the spidey 3 two pack. BSG mates look awesome.... Maybe San Diego wil get the Roslyn/Zarek two pack.... now, who can I talk to to make that happen.

And what the hell is up with this stupid IFL thing? Weird to see all this martial arts fighting league stuff at a comic book show... it scares me.

-CloneMe

Sweet, thanks for the pics. Happy no peg hole and the webbing goes down to the feet. I kinda felt the black outlines were not going to make it to production. I'll take your word that the prints look good. Can't wait for the packaging pics.

And what the hell is up with this stupid IFL thing? Weird to see all this martial arts fighting league stuff at a comic book show... it scares me.

-CloneMe

Wierd is right! It started last year at WWC, that's when I knew that the con was really going down. :down: I've been unhappy since wizard took the con over. :(

Looks like they've combined the MMA aspect of UFC with the team/points aspect of high school & college wrestling and are trying to market it as a 'team' MMA event.

It'll be interesting to see whether black Spidey carries on into the actual wave, now that we've seen two versions of him, but I'm still betting on him being included. I think the one pictured on that article was just an earlier prototype, since his hands and feet lacked detail that the final version received. I guess we'll know for sure in about six or seven days after the big unveiling.

As far as the big unveiling next week, it'll be interesting to see how each site handles it. I know when the Avengers hit, most sites involved revealed their pictures early morning, with AA waiting until lunch time or later.