UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Minimate Build-a-Figures

So, I was searching the forum for such a discussion and I was surprised to see no one had mentioned it (unless im just dumb and missed it).... Alright, so Im sitting at work (I work in a toy/collectibles/comic-esque shop) and I was zoning out and found myself staring at our marvel legends section.... And being a H-core minimate enthusiast, this thought struck me..."wouldn't it be cool if they did a build a figure wave (legend style) for minimates?! I was thinking, when they do the next Avenger line they could have every pack come with one Avenger and one piece to Giant Man... Or the same thing with more Xmen and pieces to a Sentinel.... It wouldnt be hard to do.. We all know how easily minimates come apart....Now Im not complaining about the Maximates in any way... those things rock! But wouldnt it be cool to have a more "playable" minimate of that size... I know Art Asylum is restricted on the size of their mates 'cuz of their contract with Marvel or whatever.... But I just wanted to know what you all thought about such an idea?! and to add to the fun, why dont we do a "build-a-figure wave" wish list :biggrin:

I would like to see:

Hawkeye w/ Giantmans legs

Wasp w/ Giantmans arms

Ms.Marvel w/ Giantmans torso and head

CHASE: hawkeye w/ regular sized Giantman(2inch)

or maybe.... <_<

Gambit w/ Sentinel head and torso

Angel w/ Sentinel legs

Psylocke w/ Sentinel arms

CHASE: Gambit with battle damaged Sentinel head and torso :thumbsup:

Its an interesting thought, but there's two small things that will keep it from ever happening. One, AA/DST's Marvel license does not permit them to exceed the 2" barrier for any action figure (though Leader has shown us that there is a little play with the height, just not much). Two, AA/DST have not shown much interest in following paths that have been blazed by other companies. When asked about ideas like reversible heads, etc, they have always said that its been done before and thus wasn't in their business plan.

I do like your planning on build-a-figures though. You have the larger figure related to the smaller figures it comes with.

To expand on your idea, how about Secret Avengers with a Goliath figure, Heralds of Galactus with Galactus (of course!), Horsemen with Apocalypse, Young Avengers with Stature, Thunderbolts with Atlas, etc. I'll leave it up to you all to decide who should go with each one.

Well, I know that the current Marvel Legends action figures come with comics, usually featuring the hero enclosed.

It would be sweet if DST made the 'Mates for this... and then go the extra step and make Minimate-style comics! I would, without hesitation, buy these guys if they hit the shelves.

Then again, I don't know if DST's agreement with Marvel actually allows them to make comics like that...

Glomit

Where inside the tiny boxes would they fit a comic book? :lol:

Though it would be a neat addition to the collection to have minimate comics, I think I'd much rather see more minimates come out each year. I imagine their budget only allows so much for each release and costs would soar if you had to hire people to draw, ink, and color minimate versions of comic books, then print them.

Still, it would be a neat idea for a special boxed set maybe, like the Giant-Sized X-Men set. Outside of some special one-time thing though, the idea really wouldn't work.

This topic might be better served in a neutral forum. We know DST can't/won't do this with Marvel but there's nothing to stop DC Direct from doing a Legion of Super-Heroes wave that includes parts for a Colossal Boy or a Doom Patrol wave with Elasti-Girl.

You'd just need a magnifying glass! ;)

Glomit

You'd just need a magnifying glass! ;)

Glomit

or in every little box u buy one panel :tongue: