UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

No Iron Man & Hulk Movie Minimates

But we could still see well timed 'comic' waves that tie into the movies... and to be honest I'd rather get cool comic versions of the characters anyways, we need a big chest hulk and a modern ironman.

T.

Definitely agree on the need for a big-chest Hulk, and the more Iron Men, the better.

I'm still amazed they're doing another Hulk movie four years after the first, and it's NOT a sequel. That's gotta be a record for rebooting a franchise. I wonder if Lou Ferrigno will cameo again.

I'm still amazed they're doing another Hulk movie four years after the first, and it's NOT a sequel. That's gotta be a record for rebooting a franchise.

Well, look at it this way...it can only be better! I welcome a new Hulk movie. The first one had GREAT potential, but was horrible in many ways.

Yeah, I definitely welcome another chance to do Hulk the right way on the big screen.

As a licensing professional of over 15 years as well as a Marvel licensee, I have to say this announcement does NOT preclude Minimates based on the Iron Man and Hulk movies. Marvel is notorious for splitting hairs when it comes to product categories. If Hasbro and DST can both offer Marvel action figures, I see no reason why DST can't offer Minimates even though another manufacturer has the rights to construction sets.

It's also worth mentioning that the Iron Man and Hulk movie properties are included in the overall Marvel agreement. Usually they're licensed seperately but it seems that Marvel is following WB's lead in that they offer every aspect of a character under their brand umbrella; comic, cartoon, and cinema. If DST has renewed thier contract, they might already have rights to these two properties.

That's exactly what I was thinking PL. Megabloks may have the rights to construction toys but not necessarily 2" mini figures. I think we may see both films appear in minimate form.

With some licensors, it's all semantic. You can have two companies producing the same product under different agreements.

For instance Manufacturer A could sell "Spider-Man Stickers with Pencils" under their Stickers contract while Manufacturer B could offer "Spider-Man Pencils with Stickers" under their Pencils contract. And because they both use the same style guides, there's a good chance the product will look very similar.

Also, not every agreement is exclusive. It's less expensive for a manufacturer to hold a non-exclusive contract, meaning the licensor could offer the same license to the competition at will concurrently. Other contracts are defined by market, so that a Marvel licensee like DST could sell to the specialty market but stays away from the mass market dominated by Hasbro.

There are ways around this. It just depends on how badly DST wants to do this product. But hell, if they're offering Ghost Rider... :rolleyes:

Look at it this way. I'm sure we will have Spider-Man 3 building/contruction type toys along with Spider-Man 3 Minimates. I also don't believe it will hinder the possiblities.

I'm banking on TBT's belief that we could still get some Hulk classic packs around the time for the movie.

Edited

Look at it this way. I'm sure we will have Spider-Man 3 Lego along with Spider-Man 3 Minimates. I also don't believe it will hinder the possiblities.

I'm banking on TBT's belief that we could still get some Hulk classic packs around the time for the movie.

Not sure if you mean "LEGO" or building/construction type toys. If you mean actual LEGO product, no, we won't have any coming to support the movie. LEGO did not continue with the Spidey license. MegaBloks has picked it up, so we may see some construction product alongside the 'mates, but not LEGO proper as we've seen with Spidey 1 & 2.

PL is exactly right with his 'splitting hairs' statement. DST may have something in the works but because it isn't final, it didn't make the list. We don't know at this point and frankly, there's enough coming in 2007, that I can't even think about 2008 yet. :D

I actually liked the Lego Spidey sets, so its a bit sad we won't see the new villains in Lego form to go along with the ones I've already accumulated. As far as MegaBloks, I'm on the fence. Though they have a tendency of making their sets a little more realistic, I'm not really on board with the character designs. Call it personal preference, but Lego has always monopolized my spending (until minimates, that is). I guess Lego holding the Batman license proved a conflict of interest with the Spidey license. Who knows.

As far as minimates are concerned, I think we'll be seeing something around the time of those movies, even if it isn't a full blown wave of tie-in figures. Look at the facts: we got the Fantastic Four 4-pack around the time of that movie. Giant-Sized X-Men plus Xavier, Dark Phoenix, and Iceman around the time of X3. Ben Reilly and Sandman, then later Venom, Sandman, Hydroman, Green Goblin, and several Spideys in time for Spidey 3. Marvel Knights Ghost Rider around the time of that movie even. Perhaps next year will reveal Abomination, Maestro, Powerhouse Hulk, Modern Iron Man, Mandarin, Jarvis, and more. And on a side note, I can't help but wonder what may trickle into Target stores later this year that has to do with the Fantastic Four.

I prefer Lego over Megabloks,. Thing is, I like the SM1/SM2 sets and I'm a completist which in turn become very expensive. I still haven't bought all the Batman Begins sets, hopefully soon.

About the only megabloks I like are the bionicle looking marvel figs.

Could you use the goblin flyer in that for minimates?

it looks about the right size, but I don't know what size foot pegs Megabloks use.

Jo

In theory, you could use the glider for the goblin, but only if you had the C3 feet on him with no outer boots. The new Target Green Goblin should be able to work with it. It would look better if you could get him to attach to the glider with two separate pegs instead of the two adjacent ones that it comes with.

Thats interesting stuff on the licences MPL. You'd certainly have a clearer insight to all of this. I guess its still possible that we might see Hulk & Iron Man movie minimates, but comic versions released around the same times would be just fine by me.