UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Civil War Ends

drgnrbrn316

So, Civil War #7 hits stands today. For the few of us still reading the series, this should prove to be a big moment in Marvel history. Will Captain America's team triumph? Will Iron Man crush the resistance under his iron boot? Will the Registration Act live on in the law books? Will Marvel spend all the profits on hookers and beer? Only time will tell my friends.

In the mean time, spoilers to a minimum, what's everyone's take?

It will be interesting but I don't I'll be happy considering the upcoming comic book releases deriving from the event.

I've never really liked how this whole thing has been handled. About all that's left is for spidey is to wear a dress. In the end I'll still be waiting for my issue with anticipation. I think that it will somehow end with an empty feeling like the last Marvel events. We'll see.

Want to read something good, go get 52.

And thats coming from a life long Marvel fanboy...

Wow. I can't even begin to EXPRESS how much that sucks...that doesn't even seem possible for it to suck that much...

So,

the Registration Act is indeed verified? That actually was "passed"?

It was passed back in issue 2 or 3

I liked it. It had to end that way....

It couldn't end with one side beating the other. When those people attacked Cap, he realized that he wasnt fighting for the right cause anymore. That ordinary people were getting hurt in his fight for principles. The people didn't want him to win.

It also sets up Iron Man as a major player now, just in time for the movie.

I just finished reading it and I second Webhead.

I really thought the Punisher was going to put on the mask and become the new Cap. Even the Cup o' Joe seemed to hint at that to me. Anyway, it wasn't a flashy ending, but one that made sense to me, though Cap going underground in the first place is still a hard pill to swallow. Most of us want and expect big explosive, violent endings out of a big event, so I understand those who didn't like the way it ended. We did get that explosive, violent ending of Clor, though. Near the middle of the series, I realized I was actually more excited about the future possiblities rather than the actual book itself. But I was still glued to the book and its tie-ins to see how we get there and we're on the start of that road now.

On a side note, I hope they don't drag out the actual revealing of Black Spidey for too long, though we did see a glimpse of it in Civil War. I was expecting it would come out in Amazing this week, though I had a really had a feeling in the back of my mind that it wouldn't happen yet.

I was very disappointed with the way this whole thing wrapped up... All of this build up, and "earth-shattering events" and that's the ending... Might as well have not even happened...

I disagree. If

Cap's side had won, either a)nothing would have come of it, or b)everything would be right back where it started, essentially negating the entire event.

I think the ending made sense and was actually impressed with it.

I wouldn't say it was out of character for Cap to give up. He's a man of morals who considers himself for the people. The war became less and less about protecting the people and more and more about just fighting. He realized that when the crowd tackled him. He hasn't given up on his position, he just gave up on his current way of fighting it. Besides, it isn't often that a major event is decided by the common man, rather than the big names telling us what's good for us.

Spiderman is already Black in the latest New Avengers. Whats up with that?

That's partly to blame on the Civil War delay. Since #7 got pushed back, it pushed back the final CW issue of ASM, which is where the Back in Black storyline really began. It's unfortunate, really, because he's showing up in these other series and in his other books in the black costume and they haven't really been able to address why. Amazing how one book can make so many others awkward. That's the main downside to universe wide events like Civil War.

Having read up the ending on Wikipedia (I live most of comic book life in the Ultimateverse now, although even that's starting to experience CBD now *sigh*), I just have one question for you all...

How long do you give Mr. Fantastic's death? I'd give it, say... a year, tops.

Having read up the ending on Wikipedia (I live most of comic book life in the Ultimateverse now, although even that's starting to experience CBD now *sigh*), I just have one question for you all...

How long do you give Mr. Fantastic's death? I'd give it, say... a year, tops.

He's not dead.

I'd say DC is trumping Marvel at this point, hands down. Civil War brought me back into comics (more accurately, Minimates did) and I've been a lifelong Marvel fan. I never read DC as a kid. But I've started reading DC, 52 in particular, and it absolutely rocks. Don't get me wrong, Civil War is the best thing to happen to Marvel in a long time but DC is packing a ton of substance into series like 52. The Superman/Batman comic was also pretty good in my opinion.

I avoided the Ultimate Universe like the plague, but after reading the Ultimate FF Zombie prequels, I'd have to say I'm hungry for more Ultimate books. They are actually pretty good. I had picked up the Ultimate X-Men collection on DVD but hadn't read it yet. Now I need to get cracking.

I really enjoy the fact that DC and Marvel are both expanding (or reintroducing) the Multiverse concept. Parallel universes are just plain fun!

Hmmm.

I've been living CIvil War vicariously through friends ands reviews (I'm not much of a Marvel fan, but like to keep aware of stuff that's happeneing) and the whole thing has seemed like a farce. There didn't seem to be any connecting voice through the titles.

(in my best vague platitudes) It seems that some titles treated the Civil War as a genuine battle of ideals, with no clear answer, then other titles just going "registration is teh new EvIl!!!"

At least with the DC stuff, there seems to be a strong guiding voice between titles that are supposed to interact. It'll be interesting to see where the characters all are in two year's time.

Jo

This is a great post from someone at Newsarama. Thought I'd put it here.

1.) Iron Man does NOT = Superhuman Registration Act. The SHRA was passed by congress, and signed into law by the President of the United States. Iron Man and the registered heroes were tasked to enforce the law. Some went about it differently than others (She-Hulk/Hellcat vs. Ms. Marvel/Arachne), but they were in COMPLIANCE with the law, not the actual law. Even if Cap's team had kicked the living crap out of Tony's, hell, even if they would have KILLED all of them, the law would have been in effect. More than likely the Thunderbolt program would have been expanded, and the Cape-Killers implemented more thoroughly. There was NO way that Cap's team could have "won".

2.) No one took the battle to the streets The unregistered heroes were trying to escape. Dagger and Black Panther wanted to re-route the portal from Rykers to the Baxter Building. Hill and SHIELD stopped that. Cloak got them out of Negative Zone, and back into the real world. . .he just missed the coordinates and dumped them all into the open.

3.) Captain America did NOT surrender Read that scene again. He realized that he was actually helping to CAUSE the problems he felt he was trying to solve. Read back to CIVIL WAR #2 or #3, when the Secret Avengers were actually out being super-heroes, and taking down criminals. Now, they were fighting friends, in a battle they couldn't hope to win. Sometimes, it takes a bigger man to just STOP fighting than it does to WIN.

Best line in this thread:

He's not dead.

LOL, that was awesome. Straight to the point.

as for the ending, I followed CW and have the books and the ending felt anti climatic at first but as I re read and reflect.. it does make sense and it was more a stage setting story as opposed to being a all encompassing tale. I felt like it was there to bring that last era to a close and set the stage for the future of the MU and its characters. I'm more interested in whats coming next.

I like some of Marvel and some of DC so I'm trying to give an unbiased review.

Thanks and keep on mini-ing

Vox :thumbsup:

He's not dead.

Heh. Just goes to show not to believe everything you read. Even moreso now, I believe that Civil War will, eventually, have no long-lasting effects, and people will be able to soon look back on an enjoyable, but ultimately forgettable, event.

just got and read Civil War #7...WOOO MAN!!!!! it was intense...as the BIGGEST Cap fan, im actually VERY gald that he went to jail...it'll make it intense when he escapes and steals back his sheild from damn Iron Man!!!!