UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Are these even Minimates??!!

Glomit

Okay I was surfing the net and I came across this

I was taking a look at the joints on these guys and they don't look exactly like Minimates, but I thought someone here might know. If anyone does know, just post here or PM me. Help much appreciated :biggrin: . I am just TOO into the X-Files.

Glomit

...And unfortunately when Palisade went south, so did this line. It would be nice if DST picked up this and the Buffy/Angel line for Minimates. I picked up the first series of the Buffy stuff, but still need to pick up series 2, it had a BOF Judge :D

I've been doing some investigating and honestly, there aren't too many left; the Flukeman was probably the most common.

You can definitely tell that the company went south.

Glomit

Yeah, it's one of the unfortunate's, since they actually listened to fans and on more than one occassion actually did figures off the results of a poll :thumbsup: I signed up for their Collector's Club back in the day and it actually paid off for me by the time the company closed shop. Definately some great lines they produced, I joined because my wife was into the Muppet's and ended up getting hooked myself :P

They did have some interesting lines. I mean everyone remembers Buffy, but I really liked the x-files, and the blinded packed Diehard was a cool touch too. and evey figure came with an load of accessories which was really one of the coolest thinks about them.

I would have been more into these if it wasn't for the square-hand design. It ruins the look of the figs IMO.

palzbufpts2.jpg

Here's a good comparison pic for height and joint construction from Online Action Figure Entertainment. Click here to see the 'Buffy Preview Test Shot' article that the pic is from.

Does anyone have pics of the inital Palz design? It would be interesting to see just how close they were to Minimates early on in the process.

Back when Palisades got the rights to do the Transformers statues they also threw together an Optimus Prime PalZ figure to show Hasbro. Apparently Hasbro said "no" because they have a policy of not giving out licenses for plastic figures because they may compete with the main line. Too bad, I would have loved to have seen more Transformers block figures.

And speaking of other Minimate style block figures, whatever happened to those Bearriors figures that looked exactly like Minimates? Were they ever released in any fashion? I don't remember the company's name, but they seemed very unreliable. First they were going to reissue the old Bearriors, then they changed it to making new ones, then they changed that to the block figures. In the end, nothing happened as far as I know.

And speaking of other Minimate style block figures, whatever happened to those Bearriors figures that looked exactly like Minimates? Were they ever released in any fashion? I don't remember the company's name, but they seemed very unreliable. First they were going to reissue the old Bearriors, then they changed it to making new ones, then they changed that to the block figures. In the end, nothing happened as far as I know.

Apparently they appeared in ToyFare #73 (or #74 - conflicting reports) from 2003 so if anyone's got an old issue lying around they could scan it and throw some pics up. And the company was called Topp Hat Toys.

*edit: there seems to be speculation that the article was a 'gag-article' although there seems to be a line of toys called "Barbearians" from Funatix! (a company formed by a bunch of guys from Mirage Studios) which were almost released.

I don't remember the Bearriors at all, but I'll look. I've got every issue of ToyFare, so give me a couple of days, and I'll get you a scan...

It's interesting all of the other toys that have sprung up out of the Minimates, which themselves sprang from the vastly inferior Kubricks...

As much as I loved Palisades, I never got into the PALZ. I would have bought anything they made, but they never made a license I liked.

And I second what Don said about Palisades and their fan interaction. I've never seen a company so in tune with their fans. It built loyalty in people because they knew their opinion mattered. And they gave back a lot too. I don't know how much promotional stuff I got from them from contests and working for them. I even have my name on the back of the Swedish Chef playset (IMHO the best playset ever). Too bad listening to fans doesn't pay bills.

As I recall the initial PALz bodies looked almost identical to Minimates until someone from AA contacted them. Palisades ended up changing them.

If DST wanted to solicit X-Files Minimates, I'd be all for it. Of course I'd need a second job... :wacko:

i would be all for that as well! what are the chances of DST contrating x-files. there are rumors of another movie being in the works.

I looked through about a years worth of Toyfare, and the only Bearriors stuff that I found were of actual figures. They weren't block figures at all... Maybe it's another line you're thinking of...

I looked through about a years worth of Toyfare, and the only Bearriors stuff that I found were of actual figures. They weren't block figures at all... Maybe it's another line you're thinking of...

I'm fairly confident it was Bearriors. The block figures were in it several issues after to one with the regular figures. They had a picture of a hand painted Panda I believe.

I've got a box full up 'til issue 79. After that, the issues are kinda spread out all over the vault. I'll do a little more digging and see if I can come up with something.

I have found it! It was in issue 86. And, yeah, it was a Minimate. Looks like the mock-up was a customized Mini with a Stikfas sword... Funny.

post-16-1169880497_thumb.jpg

I put up an article about this Pandor custom and the Bearriors over at the HQ yesterday and the customizer who made it just contacted me. Our very own MINI-MYTE was commissioned by Toyfare to make Pandor for a "hoax" article. Great work, MM!