UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

How will you collect Minimates now?

Fujis

We've got Marvel, DC, Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek, Rocky, Kellogg's, I Robot, 24, and possibly more Speed Racer and Street Fighter II coming and all in 2007. I've always wanted (and tried) to be a completionist. I've got all of the 3" figures (thanks to Shane and JL), all the LOTR (thanks to Timbo), all the Streetfighter figs (save two), most of the 2" blanks (except the '03's), all of the Marvel figures and exclusives as well as most of the chase figures but with all of these new lines I simply won't be able to afford to collect them all.

I'm not complaining mind you, more lines means more collectors (hopefully) which should keep the brand going but I'm having a hard time telling myself that I'll have to be a selective collector now. I'm not much of a Star Trek fan (although I loved TNG when I was younger) and I'm going to be overlooking Kellogg's now for the Rocky Minimates and I might not even focus too much on DC being more of a Marvel fan.

How are your collecting habits going to be effected by all of the new Minimate lines?

I'll continue to collect the lines that appeal to me and try my hardest not to become a completist, as it is maddening to say the least :lol: But I will second that Shane is great when it comes to helping complete whatever you're looking for :thumbsup: Definately helped me commit to this madness back in the day, not to mention plugged a few holes when I was looking for Minimates for my collection :biggrin:

I've always been Marvel first, collecting the other lines only because Marvel slowed down, I'll probably revert back to that and cherry pick that which interests me in the others, only a attempting to be a completeist with the Marvel stuff.

Other than my weeping wallet, my habits shouldn't change too much. I've never tried to complete the 2" line, I generally just buy most of the minimates... maybe 90%. Except for a few specialities items like the Logo Mates. So, for now, I'll be proceeding as normal and my kids will just have to eat fewer meals. ;)

I plan on getting all the DC minis, and all of the new Marvel ones, but beyond that, I probably won't pick anything else up.

Marvel and DC will be my primary concerns. As for everything else, I will likely buy the Rocky mates and will buy whatever catches my eye from the other lines.

Oh, and it's one of each mate for me nowadays. No more of that "two or three opened and one in the box" stuff here. :)

I'm going to be getting everything, Always have and probably always will. Although I will only buy some lines by the case as I'm prone to doing.

One thing surprises me though... the lack of love for the BSG License from you guys, I'm looking forward to that as much as any wave we're getting in the next year or so.

T.

I think it's like Star Trek TBT, either you love it or you don't ;) Like you, I was able to see what AA had in store for the BSG line, so I'm looking forward to this line too. My feeling is just because they haven't mentioned it, doesn't mean their not into it. It seems most of the members here are 90% completist. I fit in that bracket, since I'm like Cappy and don't try to get too hog wild over the Logo or Con Mates. I tend to try and get those or trade them to a good home, because I'm only interested in the straight Mates(Mr. T and JS GL being the exception). I'm sure one more people notice this thread, the more will be commenting on how much they're looking forward to the line. My only hope is that the classic line takes off as well as the Modern BSG Mates :confused:

One thing surprises me though... the lack of love for the BSG License from you guys, I'm looking forward to that as much as any wave we're getting in the next year or so.

Oh gods, that's the line I am looking forward to most this year. :biggrin: I can't wait until ToyFair to see what's coming for these guys. Thing is, we saw them at last year's ToyFair for the first time and still don't have them. :blink:

I've always been a 'pick up the ones you like' kind of guy, so I'll continue that with Marvel and DC. I might pick up Star Trek and possibly Rocky, but Battlestar, I'm all in. :woot:

P.S.- Fujis, you forgot to mention 24 'mates ;)

I'm sure I will get them all. The DC, and BSG ones for sure (all preorded). I'm sure I'll get all the marvel too, just because I have all the other Marvel mates....(except black spidey). But I'll probably pick up the other lines in between those 3 lines, just cuz I can't stop myself when it comes to buying these guys! :yes:

P.S.- Fujis, you forgot to mention 24 'mates ;)

Yeah, I totally forgot about that one! Probably because I've never seen the show. Now Alias Minimates I'd be all over. Who's up for an SD-6 playset?

I'm totally stoked for the line! I'm a huge fan of the show and I really hope the mini-flyers make it to production.

I am so in love with MiniMates. The best part is that the format is the same, but there are all of these different licenses. Like Fujis said, there are so many different lines ... it may be time to give something up. What I am choosing to do is give up on some OTHER toy lines. With Transformers, I am only getting what I actually want. No more "gotta catch 'em all" there. The same goes for Marvel Legends ... and I'm not getting into anything new unless it really interests me. Right now, 'mates are my main interest.

BSG = Dream come true.

Marvel = the Standard.

DC = HUGE potential and something that just needs to be done.

Star Trek = a classic license that deserves to be 'mated.

24 = makes me happy on so many different levels.

Speed Racer = a good fit. Probably doesn't need much more attention though.

Street Fighter = They need to wake up and see that they should not give up, maybe adjust their thinking.

LOTR = Will always be the "unrealized" line ... big missed opportunity here.

Rocky = Interesting choice, has a place in the 'mates family but needs to be done conservatively.

Cereal = Probably cooler than most people think. Gonna wait and see until I have them in my hands.

All in all, I can't wait to see what else is going to be 'mated.

I love you, MiniMates. :D

I'm honestly not sure.

I feel I need to buy all the lines to make Minimates Central a worthwhile resource for reviews and pictures, but...

I dunno.

Just a suggestion. You could always solicit more guest reviews - then you wouldn't have to continue buying them all if you don't want to.

As for me, I mentioned this in a blog entry recently (thanks again to Ady for putting the blog function on the site - more people should really be using it). In a nutshell, here's my thoughts:

Am I going to buy them all? Honestly, no. But I am going to buy quite a few I think.

I've already got the DC waves preordered.

I think I'll buy all the 2" Trek mates I can get my hands on. (That Orion Slave Girl is gonna make for a real easy She Hulk custom!)

The I Robot designs look interesting. I'm curious to see how they pull off the actual figs.

24 - I might just pick some up for a couple of reasons. I want to support more 'regular people' being made in 'mate form. Also, I NEED a Kiefer Sutherland minimate. (Then someone needs to customize me some Lost Boys mates...)

BSG - since they're focusing on the current series (a smart thing to do IMO) and I don't get the chance to watch it very often, I'm going to pass. When and if the classic series gets made, I'll jump in with both feet. I must have a Daggit.

Rocky? Meh. Might buy a couple for the boxing gloves - they might come in handy for a DeeJay SF custom...

Cereal Mates? I'd really have to see them before deciding. I just can't decide on this one...

I left Marvel off the list though. I might pick up the X3 mates. I'm skipping the Ghost Rider wave and I'll be back to buying Marvel again with the Thor-vengers wave.

I try and support minimates in as many ways as possible, not to mention I just love the heck out of these things. Somehow I usually wind up getting even the ones I wasn't going to... :whistling: (my wife hates that). <_<

As it sits right now I'm going to get everything except the 24 (no offense), but Marvel and DC are my favs. I'm hoping for more indy stuff (like Invincible)!! :thumbsup:

DC and Marvel, because those are what draws me to Minimates in the first place. I was going to collect BSG because the designs are so sweet looking, but I never really followed the show in the first place so I will pass. I will probably scoop up the Trek stuff.

I am interested in doing comic customs, so I may sample the different lines for parts. :)

I'll be collecting them all. I personally can't wait for the D.C minimates, and also personally looking forward to the Kellogs and Rocky minimates. Am A big fan of the 2 inch minimate scale, (I never collected Lord of the Rings cept Sauron) and I love the variety of minimates potentialy have with licenses covering superheroes, sci-fi, video games and T.V. Even though I don't care for Speed Racer I still got the minimates. Also am a completist to a certain extent, i'll get the Ghost Rider series, and own every minimate so far, but owning promo/blank minimates doesn't interest me.

If anything, I'll be putting my other collections on hold for a while (I collect sotas Street fighter figures, Binaltech Transformers, Necas Player Select and Masters of the Universe Staction figures) plus am selling my family guy figures off.

All these licenses excite me, but nothing will cap Street Fighter minimates if they return.

I'm in a get-what-I-like stage.

In other words, all of DC and BSG, but none of the cereal, Rocky, 24, Speed Racer or Trek stuff. A few of the marvel ones that I like.

Jo

How will I collect Minimates in 2007? Apparently pretty damned frequently. It'll make a diet easier to follow without all that disposable income for fast food.

Seriously, I've started selling off other parts of my collection so I can get the lines I'm interested in. That would be BSG; DC; I, Robot; Marvel; Star Trek; 24; and possibly Rocky. I might pick up others on clearance (Street Fighter and Speed Racer, but not Kellogg's) but for the moment I'm concentrating on these properties.

I'm gonna try REAL hard to stick to Star Wars and Minimates and nothing else. <_<