UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Superman Returns

Lurch77

The fact that they're doing it after Superman 2 is awesome. 3 and 4 are horrible, and like to Batman Forever and Batman & Robin... Two movies too many...

But...

HOLY GODS! That poster is awesome! I may have to find some room for that one...

I don't really care about it being a sequal to the other movies (as either 3 or 5); and I'm a little nervous about some of the plot points I've seen. I think, after 20 years, it was time to revamp the movie image. However, as long as Singer's obsessed with the idea that Richard Donner's vision in the first movie was perfect, I'll deal. Spacey's acting will be the shining point of the film, and I'm continually happy they used a relative unknown for Superman (even if he is a bit of a pretty-boy).

All that said, I've been waiting for a great Superman movie to come out. And, I will be there opening day ready to cheer, clap, and believe a man can fly again.

• 2 weeks later...

So has anyone seen this yet? I have to say all of my apprehensions were put to rest after seeing this film. I'm glad they ignore the 3-4 continuity, they really didn't fit and I also look forward to the Donner version of Superman 2 later this year. Definately going to be picking that one up. Folks, put your troubles to rest and just go and enjoy the movie. I promise it will be worth it, but I'm going to try and talk the wife into going to the IMAX experience in the next week or so. I think summer has definately kicked off with this one :D

I'm a huge fan of Big Blue. Having said that, I think the movie was near perfect. The flying bits were superb... Best I've seen EVER! The only gripe I have is that it seems a bit slow. There's a bit of a timing problem. Just seems long and drawn out...

The only gripe I have is that it seems a bit slow. There's a bit of a timing problem. Just seems long and drawn out...

I fell the same way about the movie, other than that the movie was great, Brandon Routh was very believable as both Clark and Superman. Kevin Spacey was prefect as Lex. Definitely a must see for any comic book fan.

Any "action" movie directed by Singer will have those timing issues. He paces himself so the film settles on each emotional moment in an attempt to give the story more weight. He has gotten better about it since "X-Men" though...

I enjoyed the movie, but thought it was the same plot as the first Superman movie. Also, they should of created an ending climax to the movie. Guess we will not be seeing Doomsday.

I didn't like the fact this was a psuedo-sequal/remake of the first film. There is so much more that can be done with the story than that.

However, like I said I would, I did love this movie. It's rare that I want to go see a movie in theatres twice, but I wanted to see the next available showing for this one. This really was (in most way) a movie I had waited almost 20 years for. Now I just can't wait for "Superman Returns Again" or whatever the next one is.

:superman:

I'm alittle dissapointed in this film. don't mind the sequel perspective except for the fact that they chose Lex Luthor Again, but can understand why they did. Kevein Spacey did an okay job, liked his mean dark side appeal but there seemed to be something missing. Brandon Routh looked good but didn't do a good enough Clark Kent. This movie while not a complete dissappointment it falls short compared to the classics. Even while I watched it on IMAX I was falling asleep. About the best part I liked was

the revelation that he has a son

Ok... just got back from this and frankly thought it sucked....

It looked nice, bleneded well in terms of 'feel' with the 70's movies (at least to start) After worries about the new costume I really liked it etc...I could deal with Lois and Supes looking way too young, bad pacing and well frankly no explaination worthwhile of why Supes was away to return.....

It started well, oldskool music score and titles gave me goosebumps...

I was kinda going along for the ride waiting for the big fanale.....

.....never happened....

To me the whole movie changed at one point "the piano moment"

(hopefully that's obscure enough to not count as a spoiler)

not only did it seem SOOOOOO out of place but it seemed to be the point the movie just turned very BleauGH!!!

T.

Wow, Roger Ebert would be proud that someone is taking his place while he's recuperating from health issues and surgery :lol: You would have thought I would have been the one to come out with some of the comments made in the last few days :rolleyes: Since I was one of the one's going in with a closed mind :P I enjoyed it and I think folks need to possible go and see it a second time to make sure they got the full experience of movie, I know I plan too :D

I saw it again tonight. I liked it a hell of a lot better the second time around. It's still too long, but I didn't seem to notice it as much this time...

I thought the movie was just great! I didn't think it was too drawn out or had less action than it should have. Overall, I really liked it. At first, I too was a little bothered about the twist but then I kinda began to see it as a parallel to having the torch passed to Routh as the new Superman. I'm definitely going to have to see it in 3D Imax eventually. :)

the good:

* was a beautiful looking film, very well done with special effects

* good acting by everyone involved, even Cyclops was good :lol:

* good story. it worked for me; I had read some of the spoilers before and didn't think it would work at all, but I was pleasantly suprised

the so-so:

* the action scenes; not so much the "wow factor" I was expecting

* the love story-triangle-square-whatever it was; felt more sorry for the kid than any connection with the other characters

* the "piano scene" <_< has good posibilites for the future but doubt it'll work; just doesn't feel right

the bad:

* climax; umm where was it :huh: I must have dozed off and missed it

* speaking of pacing, this movie felt long; the LOTR movies were long but didn't feel long

* sequels: doubt there will be one b/c of cost and lack of returns on this one but if they do, it'll be Luthor again; don't get me wrong, I like Luthor, but give me somebody, anybody else (Darkseid, Brainiac, Doomsday, Metallo, Bizzaro, or even Mr. Mxyzptlk :P )

Grade: A for Effort, B- for Execution, and B+ Overall

Superman 2 was so much more fun than this film :P

Pretty much sums up my feelings, except I didn't like Routh's acting as Clark Kent. I almost dozesd off quite a few times. You are right, you could not feel a climax. This is one of the rare cases where I have to agree with Ebert that is was kind of bland.

* sequels: doubt there will be one b/c of cost and lack of returns on this one...

Well, Routh is under contract for two more films and I imagine that this movie will gross over 500 million in box-office sales alone - not to mention the revenue from DVD sales...

And I remember reading something about Batman making an appearance. Apparently he was visible in one of the roof-top shots but I never saw him. Did anyone see him?

I'd love to see the :batmanblack: vs. :superman: movie that was in the works a few years back. I think Routh and Bale would work well together.

I'd love to see the :batmanblack: vs. :superman: movie that was in the works a few years back. I think Routh and Bale would work well together.

Same here it would be interesting if could work it out. Now BB I liked a lot better than SR.