UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Something I need to get off my chest...

youbastards

I visited New York year before last (I think), and tried to see ground zero, but really couldn't because they had these huge barricades up blocking the view of the work that was going on behind it.

So here's a question, YB. Has this tragedy also affected your view of the prior two movies upon viewing them afterwards?

But for some reason, this whole tragedy has really just put me off of the franchise and I am unable to disassociate the shooting from the films. I haven't seen Dark Knight Rises, and I don't really want to at this point. It's like the entire experience has been ruined for me.

I would say so, good sir. Edited by Marquis de Carabas

I feel the need to chime in and say that I have an understanding of how something entirely unrelated to a film can affect how you feel about viewing it. My examples are no where near the extreme that was the shooting, but they still left my enjoyment of the film lacking. Movies (and any future sequels) I will never watch are the Kick Ass and Narnia films.

In my experience, when people are upset (more like having a strong emotional response to an event) it is usually caused by a secondary occurrence that is affecting their life. A bad example is when a spouse gets upset about a dirty kitchen and explodes at the other, but the failing relationship is actually causing the strong emotions to emerge. Even though they might not see it in the heat of the moment.

I have no doubt in my mind that an act of wasteful violence is at the source of this film being 'ruined' for yourself (and nobody will ever truly know how it has made you feel on a personal level, they can only say they understand). But maybe, just maybe, there are other influences beyond this specific incident that is affecting your willingness to watch and enjoy DKR.

Anyway, just the ramblings of a mad fella who enjoys making people think.

I will leave you with a quote:

"In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." -Albert Einstein