UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Battle Beasts Time from Inception to Retail

fatcow

Hey guys, I didn't want to put this in the Battle Beasts thread because there is so much promo talk there and things get lost. But I was wondering why from the initial announcement and first promo gator in 2009 it has taken till Q4 of 2012 to have the Battle Beasts released? Was there a design overhaul? Did they just make the Gator promo without really thinking about the rest of the line?

Is it safe to assume that Battle Beasts is the most carefully planned and marketing Minimate line to date ( before release )? I'm relatively new to the world of minimates and a lot of you understand how things work internally so I'm wondering what took so long in getting them out? I am very grateful that we are finally getting them and have nothing to complain about, just genuinely curious.

They were just biding their time, making sure they got it right. I think since they own BB outright, there was to rush to produce it, because they had other things to work on. But without Max and Pirates, they had more resources to devote to BB. So either they cared too much, or not enough. :P

Part of the wait may have been that they were trying to work out a deal for a product tie-in of some kind, which ended up being the comic book series. Also the initial "look" we saw with the gators and the action figure prototypes may have been too close in style to the '80s toys, since they need to distance the new line from them, so finding a new style that worked might have taken a while.

As Dino said, we were told all along by DST that they were going to take their time to get it right.

In my opinion, we are let behind the curtain a little too much. It seemed much more magical when I was younger when the sears and JCPenneys Christmas catalogs came in the mail once a year. I kinda got that same feeling when we were just shown the thundercats. Who knows how long they have been in development, but in a few weeks they'll be out, an for me it's more exciting than the battle beasts which have lingered for a few years. I kinda wish the first time we will have seen them is at SDCC when the 1st wave is shown( which I think is the plan)

And I realize everything about toys was more exciting when I actually played with them, but the wait wasn't as long from the reveal. I don't really like how long we have to wait when we are shown stuff, I love seeing stuff early, but just think we see it too far in advance

All my opinion of course , others will vary

There was a time when I would have had the opposite opinion (when I was a kid, I would sneak into my sister's room and find the hidden stash of presents she had bought for me, weeks ahead of Christmas. It was a thrill to know about something before I was "supposed" to) ... but now, with the reveals of Kang and Thundercats thrown at us so shortly before their availability, I've come to understand what I never grasped as a child - opening the presents on Christmas morning held no excitement for me, because the thrill was spent on sneaking a peak weeks before I could enjoy the gift.

Yeah, I agree with your sentiment, Nervous.

While I appreciate how connected we are with the inner workings of DST and their plans, I wouldn't mind it if they kept the curtain closed more often ;)

and Zach, I'd like to note that even though I am among the number of people who would have preferred to get Battle Beasts back when the news first hit that you have the license, I have more respect for you guys knowing that you wanted to do it justice :thumbsup:

I wonder if they'll eventually release vehicles like the old line did. And will we ever get those playsets that were shown to have the Croc Battle Beast?

post-6301-0-01408200-1341288112_thumb.jp

Edited by khonshu knight

I hope that if they ever release vehicles they would not be like the vintage ones which are just craps. The vintage BB figures are just perfect but their vehicles are amoung the worst vehicles ever made.

C'mon, its a giant, rolling tiger head with guns! Hahaha, kidding. I have collected these to be complete with the original battle beasts. But they are pretty ridiculous.

Well the old vehicles ARE silly, but something animal-themed could work out, like a shark-boat, rhino-tank or scarab-hovercraft (since we already have Horus in the comics).