UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Venom Movie "May Tie Into The Amazing Spider-Man"

I'm a bit confused. They say that they want Venom's origin to have a "real life science basis" so that it can. . .tie into the other Spidey characters? Why is this a necessary condition? Then Avi Arad talks about about the science of spiderwebs, but doesn't explain what in the heck it has to do with Eddie Brock.

They're missing a logical connection there somewhere.

As for a Venom movie, I think it could work, but I'm not sure it can work as a comic-faithful Eddie Brock origin story. The way they're describing it, he's the bad guy version of Brock from the early '90s. If so, and if it isn't equal parts Venom and Spidey, then it would seem tricky.

Edited by karamazov80

I'm a bit confused. They say that they want Venom's origin to have a "real life science basis" so that it can. . .tie into the other Spidey characters? Why is this a necessary condition? Then Avi Arad talks about about the science of spiderwebs, but doesn't explain what in the heck it has to do with Eddie Brock.

They're missing a logical connection there somewhere.

As for a Venom movie, I think it could work, but I'm not sure it can work as a comic-faithful Eddie Brock origin story. The way they're describing it, he's the bad guy version of Brock from the early '90s. If so, and if it isn't equal parts Venom and Spidey, then it would seem tricky.

You and you're accademic background! You studies humanities! This is the REAL thing! REAL SCIENCE! Stop blabbering and just accept the TRUTH, buddy.

:tongue:

I really think this whole "real life science background" attitude is a nice idea, but totally unnecessary and it doesn't work in the end. But I enjoy it anyways, so long as it doesn't get too big and obscure. It gives things an interessting sci-fi touch that I like, although I don't trust these guys too much and for me it doesn't make me watch the movie - Venom does make me watch the movie. :biggrin:

Hey, I'm fine with wanting it all realistic and to even take away the alien angle if they want to. I just don't understand what this means:

With the success of The Avengers, it makes perfect sense for Sony to want the part of the Marvel Universe they acquired during the '90s to work together as a whole, so one can expect that they'll take a similar real-life science approach with Venom's origin story as they do with Spider-Man and The Lizard in the upcoming reboot.

Is it impossible for an alien Venom, or a Venom that doesn't get his powers through science, to make sense with whatever is going on in Amazing Spider-Man? Maybe. But Asgard/Thor/Loki don't have a scientific basis in Avengers, and the Chitauri are aliens. . .yet they make sense in that universe.

I get what they mean. Marvel established their Avengers Universe as a huge, obviously grand-scale epic with different universes/planets and different beings. You learn to expect stuff like the Chitauri or Asgard visits because of the set-up that we're not alone.

Sony wants to do the opposite, make it isolated and almost take a Chris Nolan approach where everything is "real" like how Spidey gets powers from what seems to the the "Ultimate" approach, and Lizard being the big "sciencey" villains. The ywant to make "Amazing" be the science part of the Marvel U.

Unfortunately it's stupid and going to fail. Venom can't be singular, especially not as an origin, and the Ultimate approach doesn't need to be for everything, this coming from an Ultimate fan. The only thing i actually want to see from Ultimate in Spider-man is Jessica.

To be fair, bad reporting shouldn't be held against the project. The article's author mentioned real life science. Arad's quoted as saying they want to stick close to the comic material. I think the way he's talking about web stuff is just a reference to the fact that decades ago, Spider-man was the most practical application for synthetic webs. In modern times, though, there are plenty of real world applications (and I'm guessing the upcoming movie addresses some of that). I just took the quotes to mean that there would be some recognition that there will be real world implications/applications of Venom, however he comes about.

Anyway, I think a Venom movie could work. It's possible, and it might even work better than trying to fit Eddie Brock's story into a Spidey movie. Treating it more like Shattered Glass meets the X-Files with Peter Parker as a support character could work.

The only thing i actually want to see from Ultimate in Spider-man is Jessica.

Oh man, that was hands down the single best part of the whole 10 years I was reading USM, and there were some great parts. I even wrote a mini-series script and sent it in to Marvel, (even though I know they'd never take it) but Ultimatium ruined that.

Sigh

Can't we wait to see if this new Spidey movie flies or bombs before announcing tie ins?

Gotta admit, on some level I want ASM to bomb... because I want Marvel/Disney to get the film rights back so that we, the movie goer, can have a more complete Marvel Universe.

And while I can understand "Realism" in a non-power guy like Batman, and his non-powered rouges, I'm sorry we're talking about Venom. His powers come from a living symbiotic goo that forms his costume. Anyway you slice it it's pretty stinking unrealistic. Does it really matter if it came from human test tubes or outer space?

Does it really matter if it came from human test tubes or outer space?

Obviously it does. I mean, that's the only way the characters make sense together. Like the Avengers.

Nah, I still don't understand :(

I don't know how you would make a Venom movie without having Spidey as a main character.

Didn't you see Catwoman?

Honestly I'm fine with it, if only because I like Spidey and never cared for Venom. That said, if they can make Venom as appealing to me as Nolan did The Joker (hated that overrated, overexposed clown, too) then they're doing something right. Maybe they'll use the Ultimate origin. Seems to be the direction they're taking the franchise anyway.

Many thoughts:

Seriously, he should just be the villain in a Spider-man movie and not the main character of his own movie. Isn't the hatred for Spidey what binds them together in the first place? Just let a director who likes the character handle it this time.

Second, the Ultimate Venom story was weak. The 90s cartoon and Spectacular Spider-man cartoon both did it better. I don't mind the cure-for-cancer origin, but the Ultimate story was anti-climactic. Pete only had the symbiote for one night and ditched it whereas everywhere else he kept it for a while until it ruined all of his relationships and had to get rid of it.

Third... Who is Jessica?

Many thoughts:

Seriously, he should just be the villain in a Spider-man movie and not the main character of his own movie. Isn't the hatred for Spidey what binds them together in the first place? Just let a director who likes the character handle it this time.

Second, the Ultimate Venom story was weak. The 90s cartoon and Spectacular Spider-man cartoon both did it better. I don't mind the cure-for-cancer origin, but the Ultimate story was anti-climactic. Pete only had the symbiote for one night and ditched it whereas everywhere else he kept it for a while until it ruined all of his relationships and had to get rid of it.

Third... Who is Jessica?

Umm...Jessica Drew? Spider-woman? The whole Clone Saga that gave us Scorpion. They could easily work it in with an after-credits scene that Connors had stolen some of Parker's DNA for Osborn and began a cloning process. Stays relatively close to the book, and could give us a potential sequel villain (and makes Jessica the new Ben Reilly, which she sort of was anyway).

It seems your main complaint with Ultimate Venom was the Peter Symbiote thing. No reason they have to follow it 100%. Personally, i thought the origin was a MUCH better contrived idea than Peter using an "alien costume machine" and suddenly being stuck with it. And, we saw how difficult it is to enjoy Symbiote Peter on-screen already. The story takes time to develop, and the Amazing universe seems dark and gritty enough as it is. IMO, the cancer-option is the best solution for this 'verse.

I just don't want Oscorp behind everything; too Lex Luthor for this series. Bring in the Ultimate Clone Saga to tie up loose ends, maybe have the Goblin in a third film, but if they can manage to hold a series together long enough, spin off into lesser villains after that.

Honestly, i do NOT want a Green Goblin in this series. It'd be interesting, sure, but something about this universe does not scream "Green Goblin" to me.