UA-100768763-1 Jump to content

Finally they get him a job .........

Well it's certainly more productive than sitting around waiting for your mother to die.

heard about this the other day, but assumed it was bollocks.

fair play to him, was just thinking last week how strange it will be to have that face on our money soon (surely?).

God save the future King!

Being American, my knowledge of monarchy is limited, (aristocracy, absolutely; monarchy not so much) but I was under the impression that Charles has been unpopular since divorcing Diana and getting remarried. Admittedly, since we cover Ol' Chuck like just another celebrity, it may be he's in the American press's doghouse more than anything else. But at 63, and his mother still rolling along, wouldn't it make much more sense for him to just let the crown pass to the younger, more well reguarded William rather than be King-for-a-day?

Being American, my knowledge of monarchy is limited, (aristocracy, absolutely; monarchy not so much) but I was under the impression that Charles has been unpopular since divorcing Diana and getting remarried. Admittedly, since we cover Ol' Chuck like just another celebrity, it may be he's in the American press's doghouse more than anything else. But at 63, and his mother still rolling along, wouldn't it make much more sense for him to just let the crown pass to the younger, more well reguarded William rather than be King-for-a-day?

I may be wrong but I believe that since Charles proceeded with a divorce in return he forfeited the possibility of the crown.

I just found the whole 'weather' thing funny & there is no doubting he has a sense of humour . Charles is perhaps resigned to the fact that history will remember him as being a great queen's son rather than a great king,he could prove me wrong but he'll have to go some ! Our constitution will allow him to become King despite his divorced status but Camilla, his consort, will never become Queen .

As Rob said, he is still the heir to the throne, that has never been in doubt, but now it seems there are even questions about Camilla, as she may be allowed to be queen after all... after years of being told she'll 'only' ever be a dutchess.

Not sure how international media portray this sort of thing, but I would definitely say that on the whole Charles is liked, if nothing more. Camilla, however is held in very high regard, and that is simply due to being a lovely person (and boy has she had to work for it given her predecessor!). Quite franjkly, circumstance aside, Charles eventually got.to marry the love of his life... and I cannot bregrudge anyone that. We're not allowed to.say it... But Princess Di certainly wasn't.perfect

I've always watched the monarchy with a morbid fascination. Diana attained a messiah-like status that still boggles my mind to this day. I'd never seen anything like it, until Obama came into office.

So, I'm gona back up Miry here, and ask something that I've always just assumed. Wouldn't the Queen pass the crown straight on to William, and just by-pass Charles all together? Is that legal? And what are the odds of that? From a foreigner's (not the band) perspective, it makes much more sense.

The eldest legitimate son of the reigning monarch is heir to the throne ....there is speculation that this may change one day to 'eldest son or daughter'. In all fairness I reckon Charles would make a good king & I personally don't see that abdicating in favour of his son would be doing William any favours at all. WTF would want the job anyway?

Thanks for the perspective, gents. Given the American press's obcession with young and sexy, Charles gets little to no coverage over here. Heck, if you went simplely by how often it's mentions, Pippa's butt is more relevant than Charles. If he's mentioned, it's as the bastard that left Saint Diana. So we have little to no idea what the British people actually think about him.

Poor Wills looks more and more like his dad everyday, they'll be nothing left on top in a couple of years.

Luckily for Harry, he too takes after his father :sweat:

Charlie is a good bloke, it can be surprising just how 'normal' and down to earth the whole family are. A lot of people do ask why he doesn't step aside and let his boy be king, but I do think 'why should he?' is just as good a question.

I'm no 'royalist' but it is pretty cool having a King and/or Queen. It just helps that they're decent folk.